X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
    Much more impact than what we can do.
    the typical argument from climate change deniers is that it follows your statement that we shouldn't bother doing anything (hence, Drumpf's withdrawal from Paris).

"what we can do" is still far from being a non-zero.
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
      the typical argument from climate change deniers is that it follows your statement that we shouldn't bother doing anything (hence, Drumpf's withdrawal from Paris).

"what we can do" is still far from being a non-zero.
      I was at a city council meeting last night and in the meeting, I asked the question what the cost benefit was of inducing the Climate Action Plan and they responded to my question with another question: "Whats the cost of doing nothing?"

Now that is a typical response from a climate change promoter. "We don't know what will happen if we do nothing so we better do something," the alarmist sounds. All the while, this moral victory does nothing to impact the environment (think small numerator, huge denominator) yet creates more burdensome bureaucracy, arbitrary regulation, unattainable goals, and government employee jobs.

Oh, and if the goals cannot be met (moving targets mind you), then the city can just purchase carbon credits to offset the shortfall.

So in environmental whacko land, you can pay for your environmental sins and the earth will magically recover.

Decay, if you are such an anarchist, why are you in favor of the federal, state and local government controlling vast quantities of economic resources in an effort to stop the uncontrollable?

:p

EDIT: Don't answer that. Its a rhetorical question. I wouldn't want to trigger you.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Ayy look it happened. No 4D chess excitement I guess.
        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
        willschnitz

Comment

https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/1997/fs113-97/

It entirely depends on the ACTUAL ERUPTION of a volcano that is rich in CO. There are some that are. Pinatubo was rich in Sulfur Dioxide. This opened up huge holes in the Ozone Layer. The world actually cooled from it for a few years but every volcano is different.

Once again, when a volcano erupts (like blows its fucking top, not merely normal volcanic activity), the environment suffers to an uncontrollable degree. Much more impact than what we can do.
          More assertions, nothing to back them up. Your link explicitly states a drop was temporary, global temperatures have permanently risen at rates previously never seen apart from natural disaster since the industrial revolution. Volcano's simply do not produce the same volume of co2 that humans do, the most prevalent released greenhouse gas from the burning of fossil fuels.

The bold is fallacious, but I'm sure yourself Trump and Nicaragua can all get together and discuss it for a few years before someone who isn't a moron gets into office.
          Last edited by cale; 06-01-2017, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
            More assertions, nothing to back them up. Your link explicitly states a drop was temporary, global temperatures have permanently risen at rates previously never seen apart from natural disaster since the industrial revolution. Volcano's simply do not produce the same volume of co2 that humans do, the most prevalent released greenhouse gas from the burning of fossil fuels.

The bold is fallacious, but I'm sure yourself Trump and Nicaragua can all get together and discuss it for a few years before someone who isn't a moron gets into office.
            Whoa whoa whoa. You just said the temps have risen in the past, dramatically, due to natural disasters. Is that not my point entirely? Yes, that is my point exactly.

You do realize that geologists have explicitly proven that vast temperature swings have occured throughout history well before the industrial revolution and human intervention. 10 out of 10 geologists agree.

You have to ignore a whole lot of information to conclude that global warming is a man made condition. And I will state once again for the slow people, I am not advocating trashing the environment.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Maybe you should take your 'global warming is an alarmist agenda' to the thread for that actual topic.

You guys are all terrible at this staying on topic thing.
              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
              willschnitz

Comment

All I have to say about global warming is that the corporations and their paid for mouthpieces in Congress have done a remarkable job at getting whatever % of the population they have managed to doubt we can influence the planet. I'm not saying we will destroy the planet in one or two generations (or 100)... but we can definitely speed up the normal cycles of planetary warming. To what extent is debatable... but that we are doing it really should not be.

So swap God with "Mother Nature." Still stupid? I don't think so.
                That's apples and oranges. God is a divinity (whether you believe in the theology or not) and Mother Nature is a concept involving the different natural systems of the planet. I don't want people making policy based on what a divinity could or could not do... I do want them making policy based on scientific consensus', data, etc.
                "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                -----------------------------------------
                91 318is Turbo Sold
                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                06 4.8is X5
                06 Mtec X3
                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                90 325i Sold
                97 328is Sold
                01 323ci Sold
                92 325i Sold
                83 528e Totaled
                98 328i Sold
                93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                  That's apples and oranges. God is a divinity (whether you believe in the theology or not) and Mother Nature is a concept involving the different natural systems of the planet. I don't want people making policy based on what a divinity could or could not do... I do want them making policy based on scientific consensus', data, etc.
                  You can call it environment, nature, ecosystems or something that has to do with the inter-connectivity of those words, but the moment one writes "Mother Nature," there is an unavoidable precept/association (however incorrect) with naturism/druidism/other nature worship. So, I'd suggest avoiding such associations in this case.

As to changes in global climate it surprises me that no one pitches the near term benefits of altering the current climate tendencies (no matter if they are human assisted or not) so as to make life on Earth cheaper/easier/more profitable. I say this as we know cannot rely on politicians to do anything altruistic for X number of generations down the road.

To keep it on topic of Trump I'd like to pass this on to those who get riled up when discussing politics:

"I call on you not to hate, because hate does not leave a space for a person to be fair, makes you blind, closes all doors of thinking, keeps one away from balanced thinking and making the right choice." -Saddam Hussein, in a letter before his execution.

Comment

Originally posted by LBJefferies View Post
                    Read my posts bro. I regularly argue in favor of conservative ideas, particularly economics. My problem is with the Repugnant party and the Cretin in Chief, who aren't Conservative and have completely scammed their voters into believing they have their best interests in mind.
                    well, i can agree with you in that i don't like trump very much either. i personally see him as a rich bafoon who thinks that because he has a lot of money he can do whatever he pleases. i find it pretty humorous that every time he tries to shake something up, he simply gets his peepee slapped.

however with that said, you and your political views are very "out there". the fact that you don't seem to realize this puts you yet another 167 miles past the planet of Uranus.

what exactly is your purpose for posting all this crap here anyway? do you think you are going to convert the masses of r3v to your line of thinking, thus eventually overthrowing the U.S. government? have you actually had anyone reply to one of your threads or send you a p.m. agreeing with your point of view? i'm going to go out on a limb and say its about 97% the opposite of that. every time you say anything, it like you are that little mouthy kid in the high school locker room with his head in the toilet. i'm pretty sure that aptly describes your actual high school experience anyway.

i guess while i am here i might as well make another point: why is it exactly that you feel the need to compare the trump administration with the nazi party? do you really think there is actually some correlation? if you do, you better go back to 8th grade and retake your word history class. seriously, even you can't really be that stupid....can you? well.....now is the time i have to admit i might be giving you too much credit. the term "nazi" is pretty offensive to many people almost like the "n" word or "phag" or "porch monkey".

i would suggest you stop using it here because even with a shoe sized IQ, i certainly hope that deep down inside you know it doesn't apply.

you might as well stop being a whiney little beyotch and suck it up. you are stuck with him for the next 3.5 to 7.5 years. lol.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I was at a city council meeting last night and in the meeting, I asked the question what the cost benefit was of inducing the Climate Action Plan and they responded to my question with another question: "Whats the cost of doing nothing?"

Now that is a typical response from a climate change promoter. "We don't know what will happen if we do nothing so we better do something," the alarmist sounds.
                      right, because if some elected official on your podunk city council in oceanside doesn't have an answer that satisfies you, that means *nobody* does.

try this on: SecDef Mattis is aware of the geopolitical threats being introduced by climate change and is actively reallocating military resources in anticipation of the conflicts it is likely to create. i can only imagine what his reaction to Drumpf's decision was- likely tell Army/Marines to kick up those enlistment bonuses.

i'm going to go ahead and listen to him, rather than some self-described redneck incapable of discussing a topic without resorting to insults.

also, you are giving yourself *way* too much credit by thinking you're anywhere near capable of "triggering" me. i'm not butthurt, boy, i'm just blunt and foul-mouthed.
                      past:
                      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                      1985 323i baur
                      current:

Comment

Among other things decay.

Either way, you are the funniest big government anarchist I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

And no, these people at the meeting were the climate change scientists tasked with educating us morons about climate change.

EDIT: Interesting read fella, if you wish to take the time. http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/15/ev...limate-change/

Basically, the military doesn't give a shit what changes the environment just that the environment changes.
                        Last edited by marshallnoise; 06-02-2017, 12:15 PM.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

it would take too long to explain the ideals of anarchism vs what is actually possible in the world we live in, and i feel like it would be wasted on you anyway.

but- you accept redeployment of forces/equipment/materiel as evidence of change, then?
                          past:
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          1985 323i baur
                          current:

Comment

it would take too long to explain the ideals of anarchism vs what is actually possible in the world we live in, and i feel like it would be wasted on you anyway.

but- you accept redeployment of forces/equipment/materiel as evidence of change, then?
                            Ahh yes, I am too stupid. Whatever.

I never once said the climate doesn't change. And neither does Mattis. I just said that humans aren't the cause of it in any material way. Any environmental change occurs, the military is concerned about it. The article clearly states this. That's their job, to SWOT continually.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Ahh yes, I am too stupid. Whatever.
                              I didn't say that, you did.

However, you *do* have a habit of ignoring talking points, rebutting without supporting argument, and of continually demonstrating that you can't participate in discourse without resulting to insults.

That's why further explanation would be wasted; why bother with someone who doesn't want to understand? I'll spend that energy on someone who's open-minded and willing to engage in civil discourse; those are the people who manage to enlighten me or change my mind about things once in a while. You get a one-sentence explanation; deal with it.

I never once said the climate doesn't change. And neither does Mattis. I just said that humans aren't the cause of it in any material way. Any environmental change occurs, the military is concerned about it. The article clearly states this. That's their job, to SWOT continually.
                              Let's look at this from the micro scale rather than macro for a moment- I like wolves, they're awesome animals, so this caught my interest a while back:

49M views, 106K likes, 19K loves, 19K comments, 803K shares, Facebook Watch Videos from We Love USA: They released 14 wolves into a park. What happened next is a miracle that proves we must take care...

So. You mean to tell me that 14 wolves can effect observable and demonstrable change on environment (and climate by proxy), but 7 billion humans can't?
                              past:
                              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                              1985 323i baur
                              current:

Comment

I didn't say that, you did.

However, you *do* have a habit of ignoring talking points, rebutting without supporting argument, and of continually demonstrating that you can't participate in discourse without resulting to insults.

That's why further explanation would be wasted; why bother with someone who doesn't want to understand? I'll spend that energy on someone who's open-minded and willing to engage in civil discourse; those are the people who manage to enlighten me or change my mind about things once in a while. You get a one-sentence explanation; deal with it.
                                Says the person who is reasonably skilled at issuing insults and not realizing they are insults. I am going to let this go now.

Let's look at this from the micro scale rather than macro for a moment- I like wolves, they're awesome animals, so this caught my interest a while back:

49M views, 106K likes, 19K loves, 19K comments, 803K shares, Facebook Watch Videos from We Love USA: They released 14 wolves into a park. What happened next is a miracle that proves we must take care...

So. You mean to tell me that 14 wolves can effect observable and demonstrable change on environment (and climate by proxy), but 7 billion humans can't?
                                I like wolves too. Yay! Until they leave the park and go down to rancher's lands and kill their livestock. But that is a whole different discussion.

I don't accept the premise that 14 wolves did all that in the first place. So we can't have a discussion about that that will have any meaningful outcome.

But, can 7 billion humans affect their environment? Yes! The question isn't that though. The question is: do 7 billion people affect climate change in a meaningful way compared to other natural and uncontrollable events? That answer is NO.

All this goes back to is self-loathing. Nature good; man baaaaad. I am surprised that there isn't a call out to kill half of the poor people on this planet because they live in poor countries that use coal, produce GHGs and breathe too much oxygen.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                                X