Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favorite religious or political quote.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b*saint View Post
    In my opinion all "religious" quotes should stem from the bible, qua ran, or torah, not from personal opinion or opinions about religion.
    What about the scriptures and writings of devotions for the other 3900 deities? Can those be included or are we just going to stick to the religions you think are important? Not only that, what about the numerous inspirational quotes from saints and the like about the religions you think are important. They're off limits too? :loco:
    sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by b*saint View Post
        In my opinion all "religious" quotes should stem from the bible, qua ran, or torah, not from personal opinion or opinions about religion.
        Paraphrased: "In my opinion all opinions should be based on the driving principles of religion and not the actual behaviors of the religious"

That's like telling wall street to value a company based on it's buisiness plan rather than it's operations. Reality is in application not in principle.

It also sounds like something that a person would say when they are trying to hide corruption.
        "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
          And this is known how, because it is how some religious counsellor who was fortunate enough to grow up in the first world has chosen to interpret the Bible?

It took 48 scholars 6 years to translate the King James Bible. It was compared to other translations such as the Geneva Bible. ANY SINGLE difference or change was to be explained and scrutinized by a guiding panel of the scholars\priests and the king. That was in 1608. Scholars who devote their entire lives to hebrew and greek find that the KJV is accurate. Most of the time people want to bring the Bible down to their level of understanding, instead of raising their understanding up to the Bible.

I find it despicable that people try to put a supernatural "positive" twist on the suffering and deaths of millions every year. Do you go to Africa and share this bullshit with children as they die of starvation, explain to them that the pain they are going through is simply a path to God and then hop a plane back to your comfortable livings?

Let me ask a simple question. What are you doing to help these people?

God, that you hate has sent over 409,000 full time missionaries into foriegn lands(even more out there at this very minute). Many are facing possible death, kidnap, rape or torture for giving out the message of truth and hope to all. They give up the comforts of home to help others. These people bring education, medication, build homes, roads, schools and build hospitals. Best of all they deliver the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Furthermore Christians give far over 200 billion dollars each year, over 90% of that goes directly to other people helping to feed and clothe them. Most charitable organizations can't touch that.

I don't see 409,000 aetheist missionaries helping to fix the issue you're crowing about.

BTW, I don't personally go to Africa. But my church raised over $50,000 in one week to send to Gana which is being used to build a complex that will serve as a hospital, church, cafeteria, school and shelter. The selfish Christians you hate that are there now are currently teaching, healing and feeding familes under a four post shelter made with logs and canvas.

I don't intend to brag, in any way. You need to hear the truth.

I have zero belief or love for your god, in fact I think that if he exists he's truly an asshole for what he's responsible for yet I've lived an excellent life with few true hardship's or tragedy. Shouldn't I be the one experiencing such a difficult path to bring me to him and not innocent children? Oh wait that's right, he works in mysterious ways and it's not our place to judge him. Please stop breathing my air.
          What are you speaking from? Where does this hate come from? Have you analyzed your own hate?

God loves you just as much as he loves me, even though you don't believe in him. 3 years ago I hated Christians and hated God. I was an AVID athiest. It wasn't until I hit rock bottom and gave up on life, until I had nowhere else to turn, that I cried out to God. I asked him to help me, even though I doubted he existed. Over the last 3 years I've experienced things science will never be able to explain. I've seen broken bones healed, I personally layed hands on and healed a woman beaten so badly she could barely see(god healed her, I was just the messenger).

The bottom line is that you're operating without knowing all the facts. I was an atheist for 23 years, I know all the so called 'facts'. I know all the science, all the quotes, all the jargon. Have you ever talked to God? Have you ever felt his presence? I have. I've been in your shoes, now its time for you to be in mine. Find out the truth about God.

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
          hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
          And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

Please provide one limitation I have imposed on me that is a direct result of my lack of belief in your god. Don't bother scrolling through your book of two-ply either, I'm not bound by the same chains you are lemming.
            Limitation? simple- none of the athiests i know are truly happy. it seems you are not, either.

your impulse to be offensive may come from this. i know for sure you have overreached with the lemming analogy- you're 180 degrees out. that phenomena, not yet fully understood, involves mindless creatures following a mob to destruction.

on the other hand, as a Christian i follow a single entity to salvation.

hth,
            robert w.

Comment

Originally posted by zxert View Post
              God, that you hate has sent over 409,000 full time missionaries into foriegn lands(even more out there at this very minute). Many are facing possible death, kidnap, rape or torture for giving out the message of truth and hope to all. They give up the comforts of home to help others. These people bring education, medication, build homes, roads, schools and build hospitals. Best of all they deliver the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Furthermore Christians give far over 200 billion dollars each year, over 90% of that goes directly to other people helping to feed and clothe them. Most charitable organizations can't touch that.

I don't see 409,000 aetheist missionaries helping to fix the issue you're crowing about.

BTW, I don't personally go to Africa. But my church raised over $50,000 in one week to send to Gana which is being used to build a complex that will serve as a hospital, church, cafeteria, school and shelter. The selfish Christians you hate that are there now are currently teaching, healing and feeding familes under a four post shelter made with logs and canvas.

Over the last 3 years I've experienced things science will never be able to explain. I've seen broken bones healed, I personally layed hands on and healed a woman beaten so badly she could barely see(god healed her, I was just the messenger).

The bottom line is that you're operating without knowing all the facts. I was an atheist for 23 years, I know all the so called 'facts'. I know all the science, all the quotes, all the jargon. Have you ever talked to God? Have you ever felt his presence? I have. I've been in your shoes, now its time for you to be in mine. Find out the truth about God.

Ok... I'm not anti-God, anti-religion, nor am I an atheist. I went to a Catholic school for 7 years, church 3 times a week, blah blah blah.

Couple things with your post that kind of irked me:

1) God did not send 409,000 people overeas to help others. 409,000 people chose to help people. What's better; people helping others because its the right thing to do, or people going because they believe God has sent them to help others? According to this religion, people were given freedom of choice, to do as we please (and live with the consequences), so to say that God sent them would be doing these people a certain injustice IMO. - You know what helped rebuild Haiti and Japan after they were destroyed by hurricanes and natural disasters? Money. Money sent from civilians all over the world. People's prayers did not rebuild the houses, hospitals, schools, or anything else. Money and volunteers did.

2) I have not, and will never, believe all this " miraculous healing" stuff.
              Quick story; my father was diagnosed with cancer when I was 12. He was getting chemo/radiation and volunteering for medical experiments. He was in the process of recovering, when the local parish in our town (4k people) decided that God was responsible for his recovery (we used to attend church every weekend throughout this whole process), not the drugs or $50k dollars we spent of medicine/care.. Well, the cancer came back stronger than ever 4 months later, in his spine/brain/and lungs. The church decided it was best that we leave the situation in God's hands, fuck the medicine. They convinced my mom/dad to go ahead with their plan, let God fix this terrible situation.
              Well, as you can imagine, he ended up dying not too long after (not a big surprise), but the reaction of the church as "well, He works in mysterious ways..." and they went on their merry way. And honestly, at that point I was ready to shove my fist through his fucking face. At the age of 16 I knew it was essentially giving up, you cant rely on shit you cant see to help you in times of need. You know what you can count on? Common fucking sense and money.

- I'm not bitter towards the religion or its followers, but like any group, there are certain members that need to be castrated and their mouths sewn shut before they ruin any more lives.

I dont believe in miraculous healing. I believe "God" is used to suit people's needs. /rant
              2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

Originally posted by 2761377 View Post
                Limitation? simple- none of the athiests i know are truly happy.
                hth,
                robert w.
                First, is that your judgement to make?

Otherwise, I'm an atheist and I'm pretty damn content. I'm one of the most rational and emotionally stable people I know. I find peace in there not being a god.
                "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan... View Post
                  1) God did not send 409,000 people overeas to help others. 409,000 people chose to help people.

Wait, you mean to say destiny/fate/God's plan is not compatible with the free will He gave us?
                  Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                  Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                  One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                    Wait, you mean to say destiny/fate/God's plan is not compatible with the free will He gave us?
                    Sarcasm I hope?
                    2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

the title of this thread amuses me, religious or political.

anything the catholic church has ever said has been political, the same with most large religious organizations.

oh, and fuck any religious person that gets mad when people dont believe the same ridiculous unprovable things they do. i dont through a tantrum like a 5 year old everytime i see a stupid ass cross on the side of the road, stating some guy named jesus (who no one can truly prove existed) died for my sins. i go on with my day.

but to fulfill a "quote"

BroWorks.com Bro is a lifestyle

Comment

Originally posted by 2761377 View Post
                        Limitation? simple- none of the athiests i know are truly happy. it seems you are not, either.

your impulse to be offensive may come from this. i know for sure you have overreached with the lemming analogy- you're 180 degrees out. that phenomena, not yet fully understood, involves mindless creatures following a mob to destruction.

on the other hand, as a Christian i follow a single entity to salvation.

hth,
                        robert w.
                        It seems as though your definition of happy is much different than the rest, because I'm surrounded by non-theists where I live and I assure you, we're living in happiness. Who are you to determine who is or is not happy, or that their failure to conform to your ideals has a negative impact on their lives?

Hold on a sec, I'll grab a step ladder to help you off that high horse you're on.

Let me ask a simple question. What are you doing to help these people?
                        Providing them with false hopes is better than nothing? That'd be news to me! It's like waving a treat in front of a dogs nose and never actually letting him have a taste of it, it's cruel. I never claimed to be going out of my way to change the world and giftwrap my dogma as a band-aid, you however have. Because of this choice your actions are deserving of scrutiny, when I start trying to press my belief systems on others in desperate need of help feel free to do the same.

"Don't worry, if you accept Jesus as your lord and savior your next life will be filled with comfort and prosperity. What, you want basic human rights and clean water in this life? Sorry but the god I'm selling to you as a loving father has chosen to not give you any, we're too busy drinking it ourselves in the west"

You're a swell person.

What are you speaking from? Where does this hate come from? Have you analyzed your own hate?
                        Notice how I start my statements with if? I have absolutely no belief in your god, I can't hate what isn't real. Perhaps it's time to stop judging others and is time to start evaluating your own thoughts, because they're in dire need of an overhaul.

It wasn't until I hit rock bottom and gave up on life, until I had nowhere else to turn, that I cried out to God. I asked him to help me, even though I doubted he existed. Over the last 3 years I've experienced things science will never be able to explain.
                        Congratulations, you have a weak spirit and cannot stick to your guns and crawl to whatever is comforting in a time of need. Willpower, you have not.

I've seen broken bones healed, I personally layed hands on and healed a woman beaten so badly she could barely see(god healed her, I was just the messenger).
                        And there it is ladies and gentlemen. I wasn't aware they had internet access in psych wards. Please stay away from sharp pointed objects.

Comment

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself...........NOT"
                          Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

It seems as though your definition of happy is much different than the rest, because I'm surrounded by non-theists where I live and I assure you, we're living in happiness. Who are you to determine who is or is not happy, or that their failure to conform to your ideals has a negative impact on their lives?

Hold on a sec, I'll grab a step ladder to help you off that high horse you're on.

Providing them with false hopes is better than nothing? That'd be news to me! It's like waving a treat in front of a dogs nose and never actually letting him have a taste of it, it's cruel. I never claimed to be going out of my way to change the world and giftwrap my dogma as a band-aid, you however have. Because of this choice your actions are deserving of scrutiny, when I start trying to press my belief systems on others in desperate need of help feel free to do the same.

"Don't worry, if you accept Jesus as your lord and savior your next life will be filled with comfort and prosperity. What, you want basic human rights and clean water in this life? Sorry but the god I'm selling to you as a loving father has chosen to not give you any, we're too busy drinking it ourselves in the west"

You're a swell person.

Notice how I start my statements with if? I have absolutely no belief in your god, I can't hate what isn't real. Perhaps it's time to stop judging others and is time to start evaluating your own thoughts, because they're in dire need of an overhaul.

Congratulations, you have a weak spirit and cannot stick to your guns and crawl to whatever is comforting in a time of need. Willpower, you have not.

And there it is ladies and gentlemen. I wasn't aware they had internet access in psych wards. Please stay away from sharp pointed objects.
                            i applaud your methodical destruction of arguments

Comment

It took 48 scholars 6 years to translate the King James Bible. It was compared to other translations such as the Geneva Bible. ANY SINGLE difference or change was to be explained and scrutinized by a guiding panel of the scholars\priests and the king. That was in 1608. Scholars who devote their entire lives to hebrew and greek find that the KJV is accurate. Most of the time people want to bring the Bible down to their level of understanding, instead of raising their understanding up to the Bible.
                              So the fact that the Bible has been passed down and translated many times over thousands of years by mortal, fallible, self-interested men is what makes you sure that it's an accurate conveyance of the Lord's word?

Over the last 3 years I've experienced things science will never be able to explain. I've seen broken bones healed, I personally layed hands on and healed a woman beaten so badly she could barely see(god healed her, I was just the messenger).
                              Because there's no other possible way someone could ever recover from an injury other than through God's power

Feeling ≠ fact. Just because you perceive something does not make it the truth. Millions of people believing the same thing does not make it any more true.

Simply the belief that you are drinking alcohol can impair judgement and dent memory, say researchers.

And now for a favorite religious quote...

And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. ( Mark 16:17-18 )
                              Woman fatally bitten by snake in church

LONDON, Ky. (AP) — A woman who was bitten by a snake at a church that neighbors say practices serpent handling died of her wounds hours later, a newspaper reported.

Linda Long, 48, was bitten Sunday at East London Holiness Church, where neighbors said the reptiles are handled as part of religious services, The Lexington Herald-Leader reported Tuesday.

Long died at University of Kentucky Medical Center about four hours after being bitten, authorities told the newspaper.

"She said she was bitten by a snake at her church," said Lt. Ed Sizemore of the Laurel County Sheriff's Office.

Handling reptiles as part of religious services is illegal in Kentucky. Snake handling is a misdemeanor and punishable by a $50 to $100 fine.

Police said they had not received any reports of snake handling at the church.

Snake handling is based on a passage in the Bible that says a sign of a true believer is the power to "take up serpents" without being harmed.

Church officials could not be reached for comment.
                              This is only one example of the many who truly believed the word of the Bible yet ended up dying of snake bites.

But it was God's plan, bro.
                              Last edited by Fourbanger; 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

greatest show on r3v imo

Comment

Working...
                                X