Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last year, a federal program paid out federal program paid out $1.6 billion to cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year, a federal program paid out federal program paid out $1.6 billion to cover

When you are paying your hard earned $120 a month AT&T cell phone this month.... just remember you are doing it wrong!

Last year, a federal program paid out $1.6 billion to cover free cell phones and the monthly bills of 12.5 million wireless accounts. The program, overseen by the FCC and intended to help low-income Americans, is popular for obvious reasons, with participation rising steeply since 2008, when the government paid $772 million for phones and monthly bills. But observers complain that the program suffers from poor oversight, in which phones go to people who don't qualify, and hundreds of thousands of those who do qualify have more than one phone. more....
    Last edited by Vedubin01; 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM.
    Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Sounds fair......if you're an Alinsky lover.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

whats next, they'll provide low income families with hummers?

Comment

You do realize that the same government that spent $722m on this program also printed the $722m? Are you just jealous because you didn't get a free cell phone?

Comment

The problem with this program is it's a duplicate of an existing program that gives free home phone lines to disadvantaged people. My first boss scammed them into giving his business and home "lifeline" phones for $5 a month.
          sigpic
          -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

^

That
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

or its a problem that even both of those programs exist at all.

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                You do realize that the same government that spent $722m on this program also printed the $722m? Are you just jealous because you didn't get a free cell phone?

With that, not only did I not get my cell phone bill paid for by the US taxpayer, I will be paying more for every purchase I make due to the devaluing of the $$ due to over printing.
                Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
                  No gm got rid of hummer maybe escalades
                  1985 BMW 325e
                  1997 BMW M3/4/5
                  2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

Let's not overlook the positive side of this; the part that is which applies to all of us. That money isn't really going into the hands of the poor people with their 250 minute Tracfones. It's ultimately going to the equipment manufacturers and to the service providers. How is that good for us you ask? Effectively this is extra income that they, the service providers, can put into expanding their network and upgrading to 4g or 5g or whatever the hell g their network transmits data at, etc. Essentially then, they don't need as much of your money to do the same and you save money on YOUR cell phone bill.

Besides, you don't really think the Government listened to the lobbyists provided by the poor people on this do you? More likely the cell service providers have a few lobbyists though.
                    "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
                    -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Morrison View Post
                      Let's not overlook the positive side of this; the part that is which applies to all of us. That money isn't really going into the hands of the poor people with their 250 minute Tracfones. It's ultimately going to the equipment manufacturers and to the service providers. How is that good for us you ask? Effectively this is extra income that they, the service providers, can put into expanding their network and upgrading to 4g or 5g or whatever the hell g their network transmits data at, etc. Essentially then, they don't need as much of your money to do the same and you save money on YOUR cell phone bill.

Besides, you don't really think the Government listened to the lobbyists provided by the poor people on this do you? More likely the cell service providers have a few lobbyists though.
                      If only "conservatives" complained as much about corporate welfare as they do to poor people...but I digress.

Based on the fact you can get burner phones for so little money per month, I think it's safe to say that programs like this can and should be drastically reduced or closed entirely.

All the various taxes on cell phone monthly bills are pretty bad, mine have been 20-25% of my monthly charges ever since I got my first cellphone in 2001.

Comment

All hail the return of ctrl-c ctrl-vedubin!
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                          and right there folks we have what's wrong with the entitlement society

the money is free, so wat's wrong?
                          “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post

You haven't been to the market the day that EBT cards get recharged lately have you.

Comment

Working...
                            X