P&R books to read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P&R books to read

I like reading non-fiction and I'm looking for some new good thought provoking books regarding politics, religion, or the economy. I also like studies on social behavior and sociology. Please don't recommend far right or left rants from Coulter, Hannity, or the likes. Again, the key words are "thought provoking". not thought reinforcing.

My recent likes include "The End of Food." by Paul Roberts, "Deep Economy" by Bill McKibben and "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkings.
    sigpic

"Into the Fourth Turning"
    “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Can we start a "library" system between members to loan books? Borrower pays for postage both ways and returns the book in a reasonable amount of time.

I lent my "Health Care Will Not Reform Itself" book to Buddy (Z31) a while ago and it seemed to work well. (I'll loan it again if anybody wants to read it.)

* I haven't read a political book in a while. I recently finished Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie. Now I'm just reading biochem textbooks to refresh before med school starts.
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

That would be great.

And Ken's book was a really informing read, I'd highly recommend it.
        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I'd join in, but fear the loss of books. Any ideas on how to ensure trustworthiness?
          sigpic
          Originally posted by JinormusJ
          Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
          1989 325is Raged on then sold.
          1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
          1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
          1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

The 5000 year leap by Skausen Would be a good recommended read
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

I'd love to borrow and loan out books but as of late, I just buy digital since it is so damn convenient. Mostly a reader of biography but I have a growing list of non-fiction that I want to get to.
              sigpic

Comment

Plausible Denial written by Mark Lane. It's on the JFK assassination.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
                  Plausible Denial written by Mark Lane. It's on the JFK assassination.
                  Case Closed by Gerald Posner

Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy by Vincent Bugliosi

sigpic
                  Don't buy an e30

They're stupid

Comment

"Misquoting Jesus" By Bart Ehrman
                    If you are interested in biblical history and studies, this a provocative book by a biblical scholar regarding the transformation of the bible's versus over the centuries.
                    For instance, the verse in Matthew regarding snake handling and speaking in tongues was completely fabricated by a scribe several centuries AD, yet we have a whole denomination of Penecostles that take it as literal truth.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by frankenbeemer View Post
                      Case Closed by Gerald Posner

Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy by Vincent Bugliosi

I would like to read that but with all the disinformation tactics used by all these agencies I can't see how you can outright determine truth or untruth. When witnesses can commit perjury and be protected by the law to do it for example, it screws the entire process up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
                        I would like to read that but with all the disinformation tactics used by all these agencies I can't see how you can outright determine truth or untruth. When witnesses can commit perjury and be protected by the law to do it for example, it screws the entire process up.
                        Agreed. I read a quote that describes the Warren Report as " a lumberyard" from which any number of conspiracy theories can be constructed. What is worse is the duplicity employed by the likes of Mark Lane and others to sell books, etc.

Observe Jesse Ventura making a fool of himself demonstrating the "impossibility" of Oswald's marksmanship. He can't even load the rifle without assistance?

Here is how to shoot the Carcano without the drama.

sigpic
                        Don't buy an e30

They're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by frankenbeemer View Post
                          Agreed. I read a quote that describes the Warren Report as " a lumberyard" from which any number of conspiracy theories can be constructed. What is worse is the duplicity employed by the likes of Mark Lane and others to sell books, etc.

Observe Jesse Ventura making a fool of himself demonstrating the "impossibility" of Oswald's marksmanship. He can't even load the rifle without assistance?

Here is how to shoot the Carcano without the drama.

Hahaha Ventura can be off his rocker for sure. While I'm still reading this book I do remember when he said under the Freedom of Information Act that he saw CIA memorandums and discussions to discredit him from the very beginning during the time of the Warren Commission. The thing is with Lane its all about a civil trial in which he proves that the plaintiff E. Hunt (was involved in Watergate and Bay of Pigs through C.I.A.) was involved in the Assassination. He used hostile depositions from Helms (cia director), Atlee Phillips (Chief of CIA operations in Western Hemisphere) and other top C.I.A brass of the time. He even had a recorded debate in USC against Phillips in which was admitted that the Mexico story was not true.

Truth that Mark Lane wants to sell books but it's also his life work in matter thats going into it.

Comment

Perhaps I should read that one, I do see that Lane has dealt with this subject since nearly the beginning, he's not a latecomer. The assassination of JFK continues to fascinate me, although I think the lone gunman theory is most likely.
                            sigpic
                            Don't buy an e30

They're stupid

Comment

Working...
                            X