When CCW saves peoples lives thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When CCW saves peoples lives thread.

I know this does not make the news much, but here is a good example on why it pays off to CCW. If you find other stories of such, please post them.

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - A citizen with a gun stopped a knife wielding man as he began stabbing people Thursday evening at the downtown Salt Lake City Smith's store.

Another Story: July 18th 2012

Two teens were shot and injured by a 71-year-old central Florida man who refused to stand by while the young men allegedly tried to rob an Internet café.
    Samuel Williams was sitting in the Palms Internet Cafe in Ocala, Fla., Friday night when two men, later identified as Davis G. Dawkins, 19, and Duwayne Henderson, also 19, allegedly stormed in brandishing a handgun and a baseball bat.

Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

It doesnt see the news much because it does not fit the standard political agenda of the news outlets (even the so-called right wing ones). Disarmament and capitulation are the order of the day from the powers that be, and anything that goes against that is quashed.

That being said, you can find ALL KINDS of these stories published monthly (or at least they used to be) inside the magazines from the NRA..... not that they are the best source of information, but the stories CAN be corroborated.

As a (former, needed $$$) gun owner, I support CCW, and even open carry by RESPONSIBLE persons. How we determine as a society who is responsible and who is not is another political discussion for another time however.
    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

I have some issues with the 2nd example. If you watch the video, the man doesn't just try to stop the situation...he's out to kill them. The whole while as the two are tryin to flee he's shooting at their backs which IMO is completely unneccessary. The nail in the coffin for me was firing at the one guy as he's on the ground chest down because he lost his footing he was struggling so hard to get out of there...and the supposed good samaritan aims down to shoot him on the ground.

I know I'm probably holding the minority opinion here, but I think he was too eager to exercise his right to shoot and was in the wrong when his intentions turned from ending te situation to killing both the individuals while they were trying to flee and chases after them. Had he ran out the door I imagine he'd be seeing charges.

For the record, I'm pro CCW.

Comment

Great thread. I was actually thinking earlier today that it would be great to compile CCW events in one place, well, here it is!

Here is the "other" Aurora shooting just a couple months ago, the one that wasn't covered very much, where the shooter managed to kill one person (unfortunately) but an off-duty cop who happened to be packing while attending a church service killed the perpetrator. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1450313.html

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
          I have some issues with the 2nd example. If you watch the video, the man doesn't just try to stop the situation...he's out to kill them. The whole while as the two are tryin to flee he's shooting at their backs which IMO is completely unneccessary. The nail in the coffin for me was firing at the one guy as he's on the ground chest down because he lost his footing he was struggling so hard to get out of there...and the supposed good samaritan aims down to shoot him on the ground.

I know I'm probably holding the minority opinion here, but I think he was too eager to exercise his right to shoot and was in the wrong when his intentions turned from ending te situation to killing both the individuals while they were trying to flee and chases after them. Had he ran out the door I imagine he'd be seeing charges.

For the record, I'm pro CCW.

just watched the vid myself, and I have a different reaction. That 71 year old is one BAMF. the perps got exactly what they deserved, the crap scared out of them, then arrested.

I don't see where you are saying that the dude was shooting at the perp while he was face down on the ground. I saw him fall, and then scramble back up before the old man appeared. Then the one perp plowed the other one over trying to get out the door, and the old dude shot after them. I don't think he hit them once, but I didn't read the whole article.

I think the reason the 71 year old jumped up and started shooting like that so "eagerly" is because if he didn't, but warned and threatened first, it could have been a shootout, rather than the old guy simply running them out of the store, before either perp realized what had just happened.

The situation kind of reminds me of this, sans the ending.

Comment

CCW holder. Reaches for his wallet, grabs his gun instead, pulls the trigger, injures 3, books it the fuck out of the store.

What's the line about "police your own"?

-Charlie
            Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
            '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
            FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
              http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/07/24/t...llas-wal-mart/

CCW holder. Reaches for his wallet, grabs his gun instead, pulls the trigger, injures 3, books it the fuck out of the store.

What's the line about "police your own"?

-Charlie
              That dude is an idiot, and doesn't deserve a CCW permit. Unfortunately, it's hard to ensure that 100% of the time you are handing out CCWs to competent people.

you never ever pack your gun chambered unless it's a Glock, then it will never accidentally discharge.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                That dude is an idiot, and doesn't deserve a CCW permit. Unfortunately, it's hard to ensure that 100% of the time you are handing out CCWs to competent people.

you never ever pack your gun chambered unless it's a Glock, then it will never accidentally discharge.
                When I did the classes for my CCW, I would say I was scared that 90% of the people in the class owned a gun. I wouldn't have trusted the trigger discipline of a single person in there.

I know 3 people know that have fucking shot themselves accidently after getting their CCW and tiny little concealed carry piece. The level of "competant" people getting these is pretty low.

-Charlie
                '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post

I carry my HK with one in the chamber and cocked and locked. In order to fire it, your must release the safety, you also have the longer pull of double action for the first shot.

I would venture to say that a lot of the accidential shootings could be avoided by keeping the finger frame side until you are at ready.
                  seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

When I did the classes for my CCW, I would say I was scared that 90% of the people in the class owned a gun. I wouldn't have trusted the trigger discipline of a single person in there.

I know 3 people know that have fucking shot themselves accidently after getting their CCW and tiny little concealed carry piece. The level of "competant" people getting these is pretty low.

-Charlie
                    right, there are a ton of people out there I don't trust, that's for sure. But usually, the only people they hurt are themselves, as opposed to the crazed killer orchestrating a pre-meditated attack.

As for me, I will be carrying a Glock, un-chambered, and even if it was chambered, it would never misfire.

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                    I carry my HK with one in the chamber and cocked and locked. In order to fire it, your must release the safety, you also have the longer pull of double action for the first shot.

I would venture to say that a lot of the accidential shootings could be avoided by keeping the finger frame side until you are at ready.
                    right, if a bullet is chambered, but the firing pin is un-loaded, it is very hard to accidentally fire.

Comment

I carry Sig 220 (mostly) with one in the hole and there is NO external safety to worry about DA/SA, Also carry my little LCP with one on the hole. There is no point to carrying a weapon with out one in the hole, thats how people end up giving their weapon to their attacker.
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

52 year old CCW holder successfully defends himself against an unarmed guy selling Omaha steaks. Shoots him once, and then a second time in the head when he's on the ground.

Yep.

-Charlie
                        FYYFF

Comment

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/2...n-my-property/

52 year old CCW holder successfully defends himself against an unarmed guy selling Omaha steaks. Shoots him once, and then a second time in the head when he's on the ground.

Yep.

-Charlie
                          I read this story just after I started this thread. Florida of all places.

Maybe its a good way to clean up the gene pool a bit. Because there is a lot of Stupid in this country!

Comment

Thanks for posting that stuff, Charlie; those things just happened this week. It's worth seeing the "other other" side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill 84 318i View Post
                              Thanks for posting that stuff, Charlie; those things just happened this week. It's worth seeing the "other other" side.

I have not problem showing both sides. Im not talking about the ones that injure ones self, but like the story in FL where a guy CCW shoots the other for being on his property. And those that actually use the CCW to stop a situation.

So please keep it apples to apples. Sadly like stated before, it is harder to find stories where they save life. Because its not what the Media likes to show.

Comment

Working...
                              X