When CCW saves peoples lives thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cale View Post
    Ndt? Good racket, talk about printing money.

Hidden guns around your home is a little nuts, do you have one of these too?

yeah they make it worth my time, 5-6 more years and I will be able to slow down and pick and chose a bit more.

Yeah well as I have said there is a couple in the bed room. one in the kitchen, one "near" each main entry and a bigger stick near the door that goes out to the barn. They are hidden so we know where they are if need be, but a unexpected visitor that may stop by will not be freaked out if there is loaded 870 sitting next to the fridge or someone who may break in will not have obvious weapons to grab and go.

You venture into the back country with out something thats your problem and your choice. There is a reason the F/S goes out there armed.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

A solid article, with a lot of research, facts, and SOURCES to back it up. Everyone in here should read it, especially the troll's who spend too much time hiding behind their computers.

And done by some Harvard Law students, ironically enough.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post

You venture into the back country with out something thats your problem and your choice. There is a reason the F/S goes out there armed.
        I do go out packing, and my choice of defense is going to be a lot more useful than yours. If you think a handgun of any calibre is going to stop a charging grizzly with one or two shots unless they're perfectly placed you're extremely naive. Enjoy pissing off the bear and building up his appetite.

Comment

UMMMM

I carry a 454 Casull normally looking to upgrade sometime to a S&W 460. yes I know I have done plenty of research on grizzly attacks. Yes I carry bear spray as well. You know how tell the difference between black and brown bear shit?? Black bear shit is full of seeds and berries remnants. brown bear shit has bells in it, and smells like pepper. My pistol is not my 1st choice, but its there if I need it.

Ummm your wrong as well, the instance where a big bear makes it past well placed large bore magnum rounds are rare, not unheard of but rare. I think it was 2 years ago 2 hunters out in corum (IIRC) jumped a momma griz on the hike in. Momma charged and all they shot back with was 44mag, after beating a trail back out and reporting the incident to Fish and Game the bear was found dead not far from where they jumped her.
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Make all the jokes you want, the professionals disagree with your dense misplaced belief that your gun is going to protect you better. Gun owners seem convinced their guns are the only option, is it unfathomable that a simpler solution is available? Do you think the professionals including the article I cited are wrong?

My advice, spray the bear then take time placing your rounds. But when push comes to shove and the bear is 20 feet away with that twinkle in his eye, I'm reaching for what I know works....not what I hope I can be accurate with as I'm shitting my pants an shaking like a leaf in a hurricane.

Comment

yeah, bear spray saved these guys:

but that was with a 338 win mag. not me, thank God. though id still rather have a massive handgun than some spray.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

^^^ could you just imagine that monster charging full bore looking to you as dinner? JESUS!
                Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                  ^^^ could you just imagine that monster charging full bore looking to you as dinner? JESUS!
                  apparently these two guys were somewhere in Canada hunting these things, and one guy noticed it about 8 yards from the other, walking slowly towards him, then he dropped it.

id have lost it, my brother in law and i freaked out when we saw a tiny black bear when we were on a camping/fishing/dual sport trip last summer in the ADK's

Comment

Make all the jokes you want, the professionals disagree with your dense misplaced belief that your gun is going to protect you better. Gun owners seem convinced their guns are the only option, is it unfathomable that a simpler solution is available? Do you think the professionals including the article I cited are wrong?

My advice, spray the bear then take time placing your rounds. But when push comes to shove and the bear is 20 feet away with that twinkle in his eye, I'm reaching for what I know works....not what I hope I can be accurate with as I'm shitting my pants an shaking like a leaf in a hurricane.
                    I am by no means saying bear spray does not work, because it dose. Its why its on my my left hip when I am in the back country its why I have both. I have no desire to kill something I am not going to eat, unless I have no choice. But a can of spray is going to be just a useless on a big determined pissed off griz as a good hand cannon. In that case your fucked with out a big hard hitting brush gun like a hot loaded 45-70, 12ga slug gun, or mag hunting caliber.

Shot in alaska after eating a hiker supposedly , not a record bear but, close

Last edited by mrsleeve; 08-10-2012, 07:36 PM.

William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by randomsv650 View Post
                      yeah, bear spray saved these guys:

but that was with a 338 win mag. not me, thank God. though id still rather have a massive handgun than some spray.
                      Prey on fear more, your ignorance is showing. Sensationalizing something doesn't make your misplaced faith in bullets any more valid, the jury's in....they vote spray.

Comment

Prey on fear more, your ignorance is showing. Sensationalizing something doesn't make your misplaced faith in bullets any more valid, the jury's in....they vote spray.
                        Yeah, because the Jury is ALWAYS right :dot:

Just postin some pics of a big bear, the thing stood 11' tall, could you even reach its face with some bear spray?

Also, isn't bear spray bad for the ozone layer?

Comment

Originally posted by randomsv650 View Post
                          Yeah, because the Jury is ALWAYS right :dot:

Just postin some pics of a big bear, the thing stood 11' tall, could you even reach its face with some bear spray?

Also, isn't bear spray bad for the ozone layer?
                          Ah yes, those mid-western grizzlies who've learned how to charge on their hinde legs. They've evolved such techniques to navigate low shrubbery better. You're highlighting your ignorance once again. If a grizzly wants you, it's coming in hard and fast, it's not going to charge you and then reel up on its hinde legs to intimidate you, the bear knows you're it's bitch. You're going to have a short amount of time to react, which is why many experts are saying it's foolish to think you're going to be able to place a round properly AND have it do it's job. You're not shooting at a 175lb robber who's heart is 2" under the skin. You're shooting at 1000lbs of hungry pure death, best of luck placing those shots champ.

Stick to NY.

Sleeve I think we're on the same page, if Canada allowed it I would be packing occasionally. I'll admit the gun would be nice, I guess I'm just a fool and trust in the professionals a little more than my ego. Ego that I can place my rounds well enough.

Comment

Many bear charges are stopped just from the sound of the gun.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Stick to NY.
                              NY Sucks.

Movin' west or South. Definitely not anywhere near Canada, though. What a hell hole!

Also, I thoroughly enjoy highlighting my "ignorance" to get a rise out of people, so thanks ;)

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
                                Many bear charges are stopped just from the sound of the gun.
                                This is true.

I typically carry pots and pans around with me when in the woods, it proves more effect than a .45 ACP :rofl:

Comment

Working...
                                X