David Frum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Frum

Anyone else read any of his books/articles/blogs? I really like him and his views, one of only a few conservatives I overwhelmingly agree with. He did a very good article today for CNN on the current debate (or lack thereof) on gun policy and what drives it.

David Frum says yes, there are times guns save lives when used defensively, but they’re much more likely to cause harm

Good article, with some good data/analysis.

I'm another "for gun rights" but don't actually own one myself. I haven't even shot a gun in 12-13 years.
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Could the reduction in crime rates hes talking about since the early 90's hes referring too be because of this

kind of casts shades of doubt to his entire argument, some times its what is not said that speaks the loudest. Nice try though.

Little more hole poking.................... I read yours, now you read mine

Last edited by mrsleeve; 07-30-2012, 07:38 PM.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Except that there's absolutely no data to even hint that "right to carry" in any way leads to reduced crime. Correlation =\= causation

Nice try though ;)

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
          Could the reduction in crime rates hes talking about since the early 90's hes referring too be because of this

kind of casts shades of doubt to his entire argument, some times its what is not said that speaks the loudest. Nice try though.

Little more hole poking.................... I read yours, now you read mine

http://www.nssf.org/share/BP2/2006/060506.htm?AoI=media

Or you could go with the Freakonomics theory that legalized abortion caused it..............
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

But most of the time, gun owners are frightening themselves irrationally. They have conjured in their own imaginations a much more terrifying environment than genuinely exists -- and they are living a fantasy about the security their guns will bestow.
            This is my point. I'm more afraid of cancer and heart disease than terrorists and violent criminals. I find it ironic that a few of my friends that carry or own guns are also overweight and generally unhealthy. They're afraid of the wrong killer.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
              Except that there's absolutely no data to even hint that "right to carry" in any way leads to reduced crime. Correlation =\= causation

Nice try though ;)
              other than the fact that when those states passes said laws the crime rates mestiriously dropped shortly after passage

must be a coincidence many many times in row

Good try again
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

wait... isn't David Frum from Canada? :)

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  other than the fact that when those states passes said laws the crime rates mestiriously dropped shortly after passage

must be a coincidence many many times in row

Good try again
                  Got any proof that open carry laws caused those drop in crime rates? I'd like to see it.

And please note that I'm talking about actual causation, not just correlation. If those laws were passed at the same time as other crime laws, or at the same time as an improvement in the economic situation, or any number of other things that effect crime rates, you cannot single out that one single variable as the driving force behind the results.

Just like in your article you posted. Simply because gun sales rose slightly during the same period that crime dropped slightly does not, in any way, prove that more guns cause less crime. 2 things often happen at the same time that are completely unrelated. For instance, this morning I took a shit right about at sunrise. But I do not go around believing that dropping a deuce caused the sun to rise

Comment

Well I just hope Darin keeps taking those early morning shits or we're all fucked.

Comment

Working...
                    X