Future War With China Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future War With China Possible?

So I spent some time today reading up on some China vs. USA analysis after reading the BBC piece below along with a few others from various other news agencies over the last year about the increasing cyber attacks by Chinese hacking groups frequently associated with the Chinese military.

These groups have been targeting many of America's largest corporations such as Google, Coca Cola, EMC, Lockheed Martin and many others for the last few years. Now there is a confirmed attack on the American military in which many plans for our latest weapons systems have been stolen.
    The corporate attacks them selves amount to an estimated hundreds of billions of dollars, which angers me by it's self, but the fact that the Chinese military may now have details about our missile defense systems and advanced war machines such as the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is quite scary to me.
    Some people think that a direct armed conflict between China is inevitable because of the heightened economic situations around the world, ever decreasing amounts of natural resources (oil), and rising tensions in the pacific around Japan, Korea, and the Philippines (countries threatened by Chinese expansion with which America has direct military alliances/protection pacts).
    Others seams to believe that there is no chance for any direct armed conflict, and that China and America are instead headed for more of a cold war scenario.
    China has been ramping up the production of a larger naval fleet to help it control the Pacific and Eastern Oceans. They have also had their hands in many affairs in Africa, selling military weapons and plains to Sudan, and proving weapons and infrastructure to many other African countries. Lately China has had a hand in the war in Syria, joining forces with Russia to back Syria's president against the uprising. It seams to me that China has been steadily escalating it's role in global conflicts, and most of the time it has been to America's detriment.

It seams to me China is really trying hard to gain the upper hand on America both economically and militarily. If China did not see some sort of armed conflict with the US in it's future why would they feel the need to steel military and intelligence information from the US and its Pacific allies? I see China's cyber attacks as just that, an attack. What is America's policy on cyber war?

The administration’s May 2011 International Strategy for Cyberspace pledged that the United States “will respond to hostile acts in cyberspace as we would to any other threat” and that “we reserve the right to use all necessary means.” This is a beginning but hardly enough. A fuller debate might broach such topics as: What are the conditions and thresholds for offensive cyberoperations? What are the rules of engagement? Where are the boundaries between espionage and offensive military operations? What is the chain of command?

Chinese hackers have accessed designs for more than two dozen US weapons systems, a US newspaper has reported.
    Designs for combat aircraft, ships and missile defenses were among those compromised, a Pentagon paper found, the Washington Post reported.
    Chinese hackers have gained access to designs for more than two dozen US weapons systems, a US newspaper reports.

A secretive branch of China's military is probably one of the world's "most prolific cyber espionage groups", a US cyber security firm has said.
    Mandiant said Unit 61398 was believed to have "systematically stolen hundreds of terabytes of data" from at least 141 organisations around the world.
    A Chinese military unit is likely one of the world's "most prolific cyber espionage groups", a US firm says, as the White House voices concern about cyber theft.

On Monday the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported blueprints setting out the building's cable layouts and security systems had been illegally accessed by a server in China.
    ABC alleges Chinese hackers stole blueprints for Australia's new intelligence HQ, as foreign minister declines comment.

CNN Money
    The latest and most telling example came Tuesday. According to a new report from information security company Mandiant, the Chinese military is linked to one of the most prolific hacking groups in the world.
    That group, known as the "Comment Crew," has attacked Coca-Cola (KO, Fortune 500), EMC (EMC, Fortune 500) security division RSA, military contractor Lockheed Martin (LMT, Fortune 500), and hundreds of others. It reportedly holds the blueprints to America's energy systems, and has funneled trade secrets out of some of the country's largest corporations.
    Chinese cyberattacks have been linked to the country's military. It's time American businesses woke up and realized that jobs and the nation's security could be at stake.
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

it will happen or america and china will both go into civil revolt and yea idk...just i feel like america is the second coming of the Roman republic and i feel a revolution pretty soon.

Comment

Definitely a lot of important and dangerous events coming to a head around the world right now. Economic collapse in Europe fueling potentially dangerous Nazi, communist, and anarchist groups, some of which have actual political representation and influence in their countries (kind of like the beginning of WW2). Religious fanaticism in the middle east. India and Pakistan in their own small cold war. China with its new aggressive expansionism. The USA with all its political, social, and economic problems. Not to mention our over burdened military.
      I feel like our generation will definitely see some sort of larger scale global conflict.
      sigpic
      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

We will almost certainly see a global conflict, its how history works, it goes through the same cycle pretty much over and over.
        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
        willschnitz

Comment

War mongering... We would likely see a war with north korea than china. Plus the media all seems too concentrated on chinese cyber attacks when in reality all nations including here at the home front conduct them

Comment

ohmygodshutup
            2011 1M Alpine white/black
            1996 Civic white/black
            1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

I was saying this a few years ago.

Back when everyone was so surprised that the Chinese could shoot down a satellite, I wasn't. A friend asked me why. I said when I country is willing to spend the money to buy CNC equipment to make childrens toys, you know they have the technology and the willingness to make all sorts of precision military equipment.

They also seem to have many parallels similar to imperial Japan just before the start of WW2. When they have a more "Blue water" naval force, and start to threaten Taiwan and the Philippines, that means they are looking to secure oil from the former East Indies.

Comment

Yes.

China will start a war with the largest buyer of their goods, thus destroying their own economy in the process.

Some of you guys must really get off on this war fantasy stuff.
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Hmm, seems they wanna be just like big brother. We are no longer the worlds super power, BTW.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-e...204558859.html
                  1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Of course this is a country run by a government that built whole cities where almost none of their citizens can afford to live. Look on Youtube for "Ghost cities of China".

I also hope that massive dam they've built stays up, because if it fails, it will make a tsunami look like ripple in a pond.

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                      Yes.

China will start a war with the largest buyer of their goods, thus destroying their own economy in the process.

This.

Would be smarter to buy us out than blow us up. Chinese aren't stupid. I have Chinese relatives, and they know a million ways to split a dollar. Super financial savvy people.
                      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                        Hmm, seems they wanna be just like big brother. We are no longer the worlds super power, BTW.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-e...204558859.html
                        Did you even bother to read the article you just posted?

"Few outsiders see those problems, however, which might explain why Americans have an exaggerated sense of China’s economic might. In polling by Pew Research, 42 percent of Americans said China is the world’s leading economic power, compared with only 36 percent who said the United States is. Yet China’s GDP per capita is just $9,100, which ranks 122d in the world. U.S. GDP per capita is $49,800, tops among large countries (unless you include Norway and Switzerland). The size of China’s economy could eclipse that of the United States in a few years, yet even then China would be nowhere near as rich as America."
                        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Quadrajet View Post
                          I was saying this a few years ago.

They also seem to have many parallels similar to imperial Japan just before the start of WW2. When they have a more "Blue water" naval force, and start to threaten Taiwan and the Philippines, that means they are looking to secure oil from the former East Indies.
                          I was thinking the same thing.

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                          Yes.

Its not that I get off on fantasizing about war. Its just kind of a mind exorcise. I try and post some thoughts I am having backed up with some facts and other peoples thoughts, in the hopes that some one ells will ether agree or disagree with me in an intelligent way using some sort of factual basis. By doing this I feel I can learn a few things, and so can other people reading the thread. One sentence replies that are really more of a rebuke are meaningless and a waist of space.
                          A fact is that China is trying to become the worlds next superpower. This means that at some point tensions will escalate between China and the US. There can not be two king of the hills. At some point America's world supremacy will be challenged just like England's was while they were still the world's super power. China just seams to be the most likely candidate at this point.
                          Originally posted by Holland View Post
                          This.

Would be smarter to buy us out than blow us up. Chinese aren't stupid. I have Chinese relatives, and they know a million ways to split a dollar. Super financial savvy people.
                          If you had ready the piece by CNN Money I posted, along with a few other pieces written in the last year, you might not have written that.
                          China is actually in the proses of selling off chunks of American dept and investing in the Euro and gold. So they are actually moving away from owning all our debt. The other fact is that China's GDP and to a large extent the value of their currency is a fraud. China does a lot of weird stuff like building the ghost cities mentioned above to artificially boost their GDP.
                          This is a good piece on China's economy.
                          For the past decade, China has been the envy of the world.  The country has been industrializing at a rate unmatched in human history.  Tall skyscrapers appeared overnight, roads constructed to str…

China’s growth has been largely artificial. The country is growing, yes, but much of that growth is rooted in construction, which attributes to 60% of its GDP (Chanos 10). Construction projects provide jobs for millions of workers and raises the nation’s GDP per capita. Unfortunately, much of China’s urban expansion is impulsive. The country’s infrastructure is growing faster than its actual economy. There are more roads than there are cars to drive on them and more homes than people can afford.

On the surface, China might seem like an unstoppable economic train, poise to ascend over the rest of the world and overtake America as the world’s number one economy. However, beneath its façade, the country is struggling just like everyone else. Inflation, undervalued currency, labor disputes, and unsustainable impulsive expansion will eventually slow down this juggernaut. It may not happen today and it may not happen tomorrow, but it will happen eventually.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yay, I'm married into a Chinese Family, and my family is Amurikun, so if we go to war i can seek refuge no matter whos the victor!
                            IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

lol
                              Game of Thrones
                              Im stuck with USA and Germany
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X