Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humans Need Not Apply

Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

yikes scary thoughts,

but the thing is if you automate all kinds of services and jobs for people, namely to be become more efficient at doing them to make more money, who's going to be there buy your wares or services if you have put them all out of a way of making a living????
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

Great video, this is really going to be a very legitimate consideration for the entire world in the 21st century.

Edit: "what to do when large sections of the population are unemployable through no fault of their own" is a good question, considering how many people in this country personally blame anyone who is not employed or make enough money to make ends meet.
      Last edited by BraveUlysses; 11-26-2014, 09:56 AM.

Comment

When machines do all the labor humans will be at leisure.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by JinormusJ
        Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
        1989 325is Raged on then sold.
        1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
        1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
        1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

I blame obama

--Mike
          (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

I can definitely see large companies going to automation, but smaller businesses aren't going to invest half a million dollars in robots when their gross income is only a hundred thousand or less.

Yes, things might get cheaper, but still, I don't think it will ever get cheap enough to be used everywhere.

What I predict is there will be "good" jobs that will be people setting/running/fixing robots, and then all the shit jobs like fast food and stuff.

Comment

In the future there will be two classes of people, those that tell (program) computer systems what to do, and those that complete the orders given by a computer system.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                I can definitely see large companies going to automation, but smaller businesses aren't going to invest half a million dollars in robots when their gross income is only a hundred thousand or less.

Yes, things might get cheaper, but still, I don't think it will ever get cheap enough to be used everywhere.

What I predict is there will be "good" jobs that will be people setting/running/fixing robots, and then all the shit jobs like fast food and stuff.
                Well you still have to look at law/the government, and (most of) the trades

--Mike
                (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post

Did you miss the segment of the video where they showed a 15k robot that does basic assembly without any serious programming to know what it needs to do. That robot exists right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                    Did you miss the segment of the video where they showed a 15k robot that does basic assembly without any serious programming to know what it needs to do. That robot exists right now.
                    I didn't watch the video (at work right now), but is there any idea of what % of jobs these cheap robots could handle?

For instance, the 3 companies I've worked for that do manufacturing would take some incredibly complex robotic workstations to replace the skilled labor.

Then getting machined parts between the different stations, etc. I just don't think there are many companies that will have Amazon like resources to take on large-scale human replacement for many, many decades.
                    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I too am at work and can't watch the whole video right now, but this type of thing usually is an argument in favor of Universal Basic Income, which I wholeheartedly support.
                      sigpic
                      1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

of course you do, and whom should pay for "your" universal income in lieu of "you" actually doing something of use to obtain it????

You are aware this has been tried several times, and its fallen on its face ever time,
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                          I didn't watch the video (at work right now), but is there any idea of what % of jobs these cheap robots could handle?
                          Fair question. I think a lot of it comes down to - ironically enough - the programming. Computer vision is about to "hokey stick" it's advancement. And the "robot parts" are now dirt cheap. It's kinda at a perfect intersection. It now all come down to teaching machines how to learn. (or some black magic)

It almost reminds me of all the "custom software" for businesses that started in the '90s (hey here some custom software for your Cake company - what? You sell shoes? Oh, lets up change the name of some fields, and it will now be shoe software!".

It was a joke. Just a relational database, implemented for different businesses - and poorly done at that. In the 90's. Now you can buy some fairly amazing stuff.

I kinda look at this as the hardware version of that.

Blah, blah blah...I'm rambling.
                          Last edited by george graves; 12-26-2014, 08:13 PM.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                            of course you do, and whom should pay for "your" universal income in lieu of "you" actually doing something of use to obtain it????

You are aware this has been tried several times, and its fallen on its face ever time,
                            But the human race has never been in the position we are potentially looking at in the next 50 years for having our labor replaced in the way it is looking like it could be happening. As the video pointed out, even a slightly large spike in unemployment is enough to throw our economy into chaos.

There's only so many options for poor humans when robots take their jobs...until somebody creates a blowjob robot and then we'll really be screwed.

Comment

I watched it and understand fully the implications that may be on the horizon.

so is this a argument for population control / reduction as well then ???

William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                              X