Charlie Hebdo

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CorvallisBMW
    replied
    I think you misunderstood. Of course you can find atheist stuff on the internet... you can find anything on the internet!. Literally anything. The question I asked was, 'has an atheist ever left a pamphlet on your door?' I'm guessing the answer is still no. We have an OTA Christian TV station here in Portland and a Catholic radio station, but no atheist stations. Can you find an atheist podcast on the internet? Sure you can! Does that mean it's the same as a 24-hour OTA TV station? No fucking way And while plenty of wars have been started for non-religious reasons, and terrible things have been committed in the name of things other than religion, that does not mean it had anything to do with atheism. C'mon Farbin, you're smarter than this :)

    Originally posted by lti_57
    Really!! Dang near ever war ever started in Modern History is a secular war.
    Any critical thinker can figure this out in a few minutes on the interwebz
    ...
    Just because something was NOT done in the name of a particular religion does not mean that it WAS done in the name of Atheism (i.e. I did NOT have an orange for lunch today, but that doesn't mean that I DID have an apple). If you can't understand why that is, you're pretty hopeless.
    Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 01-09-2015, 02:46 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Originally posted by decay
    Farbin, come on, fact checking... dailycurrant is a satire site.

    You see, I left it at the bottom after real stuff as a joke. I know it's a satire. At least I know people are checking my links.

    Leave a comment:


  • decay
    replied
    you've gotta be fucking kidding me.

    first: critical thinkers typically type out their own arguments, rather than filling a screen with copypasta, so you might not want to claim to be one.

    second: abortion and war are not the same thing, no matter how badly your source wants to inflate his numbers by a factor of nearly 8.

    get the fuck out of here with this shit, you idiot.

    Leave a comment:


  • lti_57
    replied
    Really!! Dang near ever war ever started in Modern History is a secular war.
    Any critical thinker can figure this out in a few minutes on the interwebz



    Now let's look at the number of killings attributed to non-Christianity, including atheism and other anti-religious forces. To be conservative, we will limit the count of anti-religious killings to the last seventy years or so.
    First, from the early 1930's to 1945, Hitler's Germany exterminated 6 million Jews and killed about 9 million Christians. Although Hitler was an occultist, he chose the swastika for Germany's emblem; a symbol ancient German Christians used (as did Buddhists). The swastika appeared in the brick work of an old boyhood school he attended of which he had fond memories ("The SS, Alibi of a Nation" by Gerald Reitlinger). But Hitler loathed Christianity as much as Judaism, as he stated in one of his shrill orations,
    Historically speaking, the Christian religion is nothing but a Jewish sect... After the destruction of Judaism, the extinction of Christian slave morals must follow logically... We are fighting against the perversion of our soundest instincts. ...That poison with which both Jews and Christians have spoiled and soiled the free, wonderful instincts of man and lowered them to the level of doglike fright. 3
    Second, the Stalin purges in the Russian republics prior to and continuing after World War II killed roughly 40 to 60 million people; nearly wiping out every Christian church under Stalin's domain. 2
    Third, following World War II, China saw to the end of more than 24 million lives during the first ten years of Mao's takeover 4, another 25 million killed or intentionally starved between 1959 and 1962 5, plus an additional 22 million killings in the 1970's Great Proletariat Cultural Revolution. 6
    Fourth, Cambodia suffered more than 2 million killed in its own bloody transition to anti-religious communism after United States forces suffered the fall of what was called Saigon and then largely withdrew from the region.
    Fifth, the more recent rulerships within Ethiopia, Uganda, Rwanda, Sudan, and Iraq have each killed, systematically starved, or chemically or biologically poisoned hundreds of thousands of their own citizens. It will likely be decades before full numbers are tallied for these ongoing situations. (Since some would argue these are attributable to Islam, I will omit them from the tally.)
    And sixth, for those who accept abortion as intentional killing (it clearly is, but the debate is over what is actually being killed), an additional 30 million or more cases in the United States alone could be added to the number of irreligious killings (the estimate for the total number of abortions worldwide over the last century is approximately one billion). 7
    So to everyone familiar with the Bible's instructions for human conduct, it is obvious which actions throughout history have been truly representative of God and the Bible, and which have not. Any murder in the name of Christ is wrong. But as we have seen, the greatest acts of crime and killing have not been instigated by people professing to follow Jesus. The numbers:
    • Judaism and Christianity throughout history: 17,000,000

    • Anti- or irreligious forces over the last 100 years:
    6,000,000 + 9,000,000 + 40,000,000 + 24,000,000 + 25,000,000 + 22,000,000 + 2,000,000 + 1,000,000,000 = 1,128,000,000
    Thus it is erroneous to state that organized religion, or the name of Christ, is the cause of all or even most of history's killings. Quite to the contrary, modern history shows that the killings associated with the denial of divine authority outnumber the killings of professing Jews and Christians on an order exceeding 66 to 1.

    Leave a comment:


  • decay
    replied
    Farbin, come on, fact checking... dailycurrant is a satire site.

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Originally posted by CorvallisBMW
    I don't agree. There may be a few who are vocal, but it's still 1/1,000,000th as many as the religious folks. Ever had an Atheist put a leaflet on your door or come knocking? What about their own TV channels or radio stations devoted purely to atheism? Anyone ever started a war or committed an act of terror in the name of atheism?











    Charles Darwin Martyr Brigades(CDMB)



    I used Google to answer your questions.

    Leave a comment:


  • decay
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    That's why I said worshiping, if you don't worship any sort of god then you are not a part of that statement, as I was saying that Christians, Muslims, Jews, and maybe a host of others effectively worship the same deity. Frankly, I have no problem if you wish to worship, believe, doubt, or not believe, all the same to me.
    well when you said "all of us", that sounded like a blanket statement on humanity- remember atheists have to live in the same world as everyone else ;)

    I do have a question, do agnostics and atheists have an active community in the same sort of way that Christianity used to or Islam does now? Seems very relevant to this discussion.
    define "active community".

    do they gather and talk about belief or non-belief? i never have, but it happens.

    is there an active internet community? certainly.

    do you hear on the news about how an army of agnostics has a town's worth of atheists corralled on the top of a mountain and is starving to death anyone they didn't take away to be a sex slave? unequivocal no.

    Leave a comment:


  • CorvallisBMW
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve

    Your right too much nationalism can be a bad thing and stagnate a culture, but with that said being devoid of it to a point where the culture does not see its own uniqueness can lead to its own host if other just as troubling issues.
    +1000. Well said.

    Originally posted by BraveUlysses
    While this is true, there were many groups (germans, irish, italians, anyone catholic really) of people that came here in the 1800 and 1900's that were from Europe and not accepted with open arms, but eventually assimilated into the population.
    Also very true. The US has gone through various periods of fear/hate/resentment for all kinds of groups and nationalities. First is was Irish, then Catholics, then Germans, then Puerto Ricans, then Communists, and now Mexicans. People love a good outlet to push their insecurities on.

    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    ^They do, and they are just as vocal about it as religious people. I'm pretty sure I know Atheists that talk about a God/lack thereof more than I do.
    I don't agree. There may be a few who are vocal, but it's still 1/1,000,000th as many as the religious folks. Ever had an Atheist put a leaflet on your door or come knocking? What about their own TV channels or radio stations devoted purely to atheism? Anyone ever started a war or committed an act of terror in the name of atheism?

    Originally posted by BraveUlysses
    How many times have you had an outreach atheist come to your front door?

    in your face atheists pretty much only exist on the internet.
    True. The anonymity and safety of being "untouchable" tends to make people less restrained or civil.

    Leave a comment:


  • BraveUlysses
    replied
    How many times have you had an outreach atheist come to your front door?

    in your face atheists pretty much only exist on the internet.

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    ^They do, and they are just as vocal about it as religious people. I'm pretty sure I know Atheists that talk about a God/lack thereof more than I do.

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by kickinindian
    that is indeed the other side of the coin, if they want to blend their cultures and work it out that way it could work too, but im sure you guys have seen the protests in germany, not many average stiffs want assimilation or cultural co-existance to happen. So i see a big Racial divide starting to happen along side other near-future issues where europe could indeed break out into a nationalistic white wash. #crazyworldchaostheory

    besides the first group that killed off 90% of the indigenous peoples, and forceful assimilation for the rest.http://usdakotawar.org/history/newco...ry/acts-policy (sorry Native American :P)
    Protests are not the same as an actual national feeling, representative, maybe, but not much more. Look at something like pogroms, those effectively represented national or regional feeling.

    I acknowledge your point about the Native Americans, but I think it would be fair to say that was an invasion/occupation/colonization (which you could say about Islam in EU) and not assimilation or immigration.

    Originally posted by mrsleeve
    And I suppose you consider your self a citizen of the world too right................

    Your right too much nationalism can be a bad thing and stagnate a culture, but with that said being devoid of it to a point where the culture does not see its own uniqueness can lead to its own host if other just as troubling issues.
    Nope, I don't consider myself a citizen of the world, nor am I very well traveled. At the end of the day I am just a plain old American.

    Agree that nationalism is a crucial part of a strong society, as a whole America is failing at that. Are countries in Europe fairing better, not sure without being there.

    Originally posted by decay
    you are firmly wrong, then- some of us do not worship any god, and do not wish to be subject to any of the rules dreamed up in people's attempts to satisfy yahweh, allah, or any other imaginary entity. for example, rules like "you aren't allowed to draw me".
    That's why I said worshiping, if you don't worship any sort of god then you are not a part of that statement, as I was saying that Christians, Muslims, Jews, and maybe a host of others effectively worship the same deity. Frankly, I have no problem if you wish to worship, believe, doubt, or not believe, all the same to me.

    I do have a question, do agnostics and atheists have an active community in the same sort of way that Christianity used to or Islam does now? Seems very relevant to this discussion.

    Leave a comment:


  • BraveUlysses
    replied
    Originally posted by kickinindian
    but yes i see your point, but up until the early 20th century most of the immigrants to the US were usually European so their was still some common ground, look at 15yrs ago though we were sending armed men to rip "illegal Immigrants" from their new american homes to ship them back "home" to mexico.
    While this is true, there were many groups (germans, irish, italians, anyone catholic really) of people that came here in the 1800 and 1900's that were from Europe and not accepted with open arms, but eventually assimilated into the population.

    Leave a comment:


  • decay
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    I firmly believe we are all worshiping the same God despite out doctrinal differences.
    you are firmly wrong, then- some of us do not worship any god, and do not wish to be subject to any of the rules dreamed up in people's attempts to satisfy yahweh, allah, or any other imaginary entity. for example, rules like "you aren't allowed to draw me".

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Is Europe even capable of snapping? Is any country anymore? Is any nation sufficiently cohesive to defend their culture against a frequently outspoken well organized faith based culture? I don't think so. Frankly, a common religion was a major part of what held European countries together, now that Christianity has been a best neglected and in many cases abandoned that glue that held the people together has dissolved.

    While my younger self would have agreed wholeheartedly that we should vigorously protect our existing national identities I cannot agree today. I believe that any real attempt to do so would probably just cause stagnation without allowing for natural and healthy cultural evolution. Not to mention the further erosion of liberties and simple fairness that would be bound to go hand in hand with such practices.

    Since you mention Darwinisim, perhaps we are simply in line for an Islamic makeover. Not that I would have a problem with that as I firmly believe we are all worshiping the same God despite out doctrinal differences.

    In any case, I urge you to remember every large cultural group that came to the US. In almost every case there was discrimination, hatred and violence, but eventual acceptance and most probably netted a positive overall impact on society. TR would have agreed with this too.

    Anyhow, I would urge the French and Europe as a whole, as well as the US to not overreact to radical acts and pursue a moderate response instead of a US style 9-11 reaction. Not only will this limit the impact of a terrorist act on the public mind (if the gov't does not freak out and go all knee-jerky neither will the people), but it will undoubtedly strengthen the moderate forces within the community which perpetrated the action and encourage them to speak out.
    And I suppose you consider your self a citizen of the world too right................

    Your right too much nationalism can be a bad thing and stagnate a culture, but with that said being devoid of it to a point where the culture does not see its own uniqueness can lead to its own host if other just as troubling issues.

    Leave a comment:


  • raudonis
    replied
    Watch this:

    and this:

    Then read this:
    Add Geller Report on Google I submit to you that the number is probably quite near that for the global Muslim community (the ummah).  According to a pew poll, 75% of Muslims worldwide want sharia for the family issues including divorce and property disputes. 75% also want amputation and death for apostates in places like...

    Situation is the same in UK, France all of Scandinavia and etc.
    Then have a look at this:
    Last edited by raudonis; 01-09-2015, 03:23 AM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...