Hillary Sucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
    Its immoral to take from one person at the point of a gun and then give it to someone else. The way I read what you wrote is that its only immoral to object to being robbed.

The tax rates were massive, but the write offs were massive too. The effective tax rates were much lower than the publicized tax rates. We still have the largest middle class in the world. The problem is that if you consistently change the definition of what the middle class is or what the poverty line is, you will never be able to go back and compare it.
    My point was, and you are in dis-agreeance with it is seems, is that just because you CAN save more money by finding more loopholes... doesn't mean you SHOULD from a moral standpoint. Especially when one of your campaign platforms is the national debt. It's a well established fact that the tax law favors the wealthy in terms of write-offs, depreciation, etc. I know my wife and I would have to work VERY hard to come out ahead of the standard deduction should we try. You think (and most Americans do) that every advantage/opportunity should be taken to make as much money as possible. Call me dumb/idealistic (you wouldn't be the first), but I don't spend all my effort and time in search of the almighty dollar. Much of my family thinks I am weird because I am perfectly happy with a sub 6 figure salary in favor of spending a lot more time with my wife and kids.

No one is guaranteed an specific quality of life. Fairness is fairness, either be for it, or be openly against it. Earning $20K and keeping it vs $18K and paying $2K in taxes ain't going to make a damn bit of difference. Every single person needs skin in the game, period. If I pay more taxes than someone else, I should expect more in return and you shouldn't get pissed about that.
    You are still paying taxes when you make $20k/yr. Just not federal income tax. They most certainly have skin in the game. This is going to sound very leftist, but I suppose I have more compassion for the kids starting out and the adults with no way of making more than $20k/yr. I'm not a Dem, trust me. Not everyone can rise from the bottom to the top of a company, no matter how hard they work. The meritocracy arguments we have been sold all of our lives just aren't how the world works.

I am not sure you understand how business works. There is no way you can "disallow" taxes from influencing the cost of doing business and thus passing expenses on to the consumer.
    Sure I do, and I agree that taxes do influence the cost of doing business, that wasn't my point. I was saying that, with enough competition, the cost of a particular good would be regulated (perhaps "disallowed" was not the right word). Some members of the market would raise prices to pass it on to the consumer, yes. But others would accept lower profit margins in favor of stealing business from those who raised prices.

And you can't blame anyone who uses it to gain advantage. Its there, not using it is actively saying you won't take advantage of an opportunity.
    Again, sure I can because it conflicts with my moral compass. Just because an opportunity is there... doesn't mean it should be exploited or taken. I realize I am in the minority on this point... but that's the way it is.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
      My point was, and you are in dis-agreeance with it is seems, is that just because you CAN save more money by finding more loopholes... doesn't mean you SHOULD from a moral standpoint. Especially when one of your campaign platforms is the national debt. It's a well established fact that the tax law favors the wealthy in terms of write-offs, depreciation, etc. I know my wife and I would have to work VERY hard to come out ahead of the standard deduction should we try. You think (and most Americans do) that every advantage/opportunity should be taken to make as much money as possible. Call me dumb/idealistic (you wouldn't be the first), but I don't spend all my effort and time in search of the almighty dollar. Much of my family thinks I am weird because I am perfectly happy with a sub 6 figure salary in favor of spending a lot more time with my wife and kids.

You are still paying taxes when you make $20k/yr. Just not federal income tax. They most certainly have skin in the game. This is going to sound very leftist, but I suppose I have more compassion for the kids starting out and the adults with no way of making more than $20k/yr. I'm not a Dem, trust me. Not everyone can rise from the bottom to the top of a company, no matter how hard they work. The meritocracy arguments we have been sold all of our lives just aren't how the world works.

Sure I do, and I agree that taxes do influence the cost of doing business, that wasn't my point. I was saying that, with enough competition, the cost of a particular good would be regulated (perhaps "disallowed" was not the right word). Some members of the market would raise prices to pass it on to the consumer, yes. But others would accept lower profit margins in favor of stealing business from those who raised prices.

Again, sure I can because it conflicts with my moral compass. Just because an opportunity is there... doesn't mean it should be exploited or taken. I realize I am in the minority on this point... but that's the way it is.
      Fair enough.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Did anyone catch her towards the end saying
        "(DT thinks)women don’t deserve equal pay unless they do as good a job as men"

Yeah no shit, why should a woman make as much as anybody else does just for having a vagina?
        WTB:m60b40 in PNW
        Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
        92 525it 5 speed.
        80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

^
          If can't do the job to the same level why should you get the same pay, it has nothing to do with your plumbing.

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
          Oh and I thought the $1 salary was just a wonderful showing of modesty!

Or how about the one guy who gave all of his employees the same salary.. nice pay too IIRC.. 70k? Be careful what you wish for.. now more in taxes and many of those could have been pushed out of assistance (think child care, school stuff). But that was a rallying cry of the $15/hr burger flippers to start and when it obviously fell to its fiery death, the story lost coverage...
          That guy went/is going tits up not long after that stunt.....

The dollar a year thing is a publicity stunt, or to keep capital in the system to run the company, meanwhile they are taking huge amounts of shares in stock, as they make the company grow/take from the brink of failure/innovate what ever they can, to make the stock prices go up the more they actually make. Mr Musk did this with his modest investment into Tesla, and while the govt gave 10's of millions more in a similar risky start up loan only make a few % in interest.
          Last edited by mrsleeve; 10-02-2016, 03:42 PM.
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by FireFight View Post
            Did anyone catch her towards the end saying
            "(DT thinks)women don’t deserve equal pay unless they do as good a job as men"

Yeah no shit, why should a woman make as much as anybody else does just for having a vagina?

It was funny to read this and watch your .gif

But yes, very true. No matter the color, age, gender.. perform the job and be compensated commensurate with skills, abilities.

I read some fun things about her paying of her own employees. Men were by far receiving higher pay. Also, 1963 Fair Pay Act. Also, Thomas Sowell is wonderful, and a bombshell video of him speaking with a feminist back in the day on YT. To summarize in my own quick type, thread way:

When you look at the numbers and at first glance say, "see, women don't get paid fairly compared to men"... it neglects those women who are removed from the work force (say, to birth and care for a child) or only working partial hours to maintain the home and family (stay at home or work at home moms), PT earn less than FT. When those women DO return to work, they are older but without the skill set development and receive, of course, lower pay!

There is a reason why. If you don't seek it out, they will simply fill in their narrative. TSowell is a guy who studied this stuff working at the BLS.... he is an evidence based, fact finding, truth speaking powerhouse.

Here is a good article on the topic of this terrible pay gap women suffer:

The white nationalist who killed his sister before attacking a mosque was given a 21-year sentence in a Norwegian court. Philip Manshaus, 22, was found guilty on Thursday of trying to “kill as many Muslims as possible.” He did not succeed in that goal, as he was overpowered by one of the men at the

Thomas Sowell dismantles pay-gap:
            Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 09-27-2016, 02:12 PM.
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Sowell is amazing. Always has been.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
              Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
              Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
              Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Assange says it's time to release the evidence.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  That guy went/is going tits up not long after that stunt.....
                  no. wrong.

sleeve, you've gotta start substantiating, or at least researching, your claims.

But that’s not what happened. Instead, sales skyrocketed after the announcement, and Gravity Payments continues to take on new clients at a rate it never had before. It reports nearly doubling profits in a year, from $3.5 million in 2014 to $6.5 million in 2015. So Price is re-evaluating the metrics, and still trying to decide what his income should look like.
                  Dan Price, the CEO who raised his company's minimum salary to $70,000, reflects on mistakes and victories over the past year.

also, WRC cars start with a body-in-white just like DTM cars do, you were wrong about that too :P
                  past:
                  1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                  1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                  1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                  1985 323i baur
                  current:
                  1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

^

Fair enough, I swear I remembered reading/seeing an article/news story not too long after that guy "made his announcement" that he was struggling, renting out his house and losing several key employees....

Edit: Here it is.
                    The utopian vision of an entrepreneur who wanted to do his part for income inequality looks shortsighted in the cold light of reality.

Edit#2

Seems a lot of the credit for his recent profits, is due to all the free world wide publicly he got in the media, and that his profits are still actually going down thanks partly to high labor costs. Also seems he may have had a much more sinister ulterior motive, he was served with a lawsuit by his brother and minor partner 2 weeks prior to his announcement, that he was greedy and taking "excessive compensation", and this stunt may have been more to tie up profits to avoid having to make a large payout to his brother.

Last edited by mrsleeve; 10-02-2016, 09:05 PM.
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                      ^

Fair enough, I swear I remembered reading/seeing an article/news story not too long after that guy "made his announcement" that he was struggling, renting out his house and losing several key employees....

Edit: Here it is.
                      The utopian vision of an entrepreneur who wanted to do his part for income inequality looks shortsighted in the cold light of reality.

Edit#2

Seems a lot of the credit for his recent profits, is due to all the free world wide publicly he got in the media, and that his profits are still actually going down thanks partly to high labor costs. Also seems he may have had a much more sinister ulterior motive, he was served with a lawsuit by his brother and minor partner 2 weeks prior to his announcement, that he was greedy and taking "excessive compensation", and this stunt may have been more to tie up profits to avoid having to make a large payout to his brother.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...work/84913242/
                      The entrepreneur story is not a story, but an opinion piece. Which is fine, the author can voice his opinion... but it in no way means that Mr. Price's plan has failed, or will fail. If he is able to maintain a profit margin to sustain growth, or viability with the new salaries... then by all means. He also only lost 2 employees, and from reading their positions (one in IT, and one in accounting), they were valuable... but not indispensable. They also got raises, and should have been less concerned with what others were making... and focused on their careers (IMO). It seems they did tie their self worth to their salaries, and worse to those of their co-workers. If they had other motives, they did not say that I could find.

The brother said that he had been in disagreement with Price well prior to the new salary announcement and the lawsuit. He is only seeking for Price to buy him out of his 30% share and some "suffering." We don't have enough information about that situation to decidedly say which of the two brothers is being unreasonable or in the wrong.

In the end, this is a case of someone in business trying something that flies in the face of traditional business models (Price says the reasons are altruistic) and is now getting heat from the establishment. Nothing more. If his model is poor... the business will fail. If it is good, it will succeed. Let the experiment run its course.

Lastly, we do NOT live in a meritocracy, as the opinion piece says is the way to promote a good business model. The establishment loves to propagate this belief. I won't argue/justify this point though, because most have already made up their minds that they work harder (or are more important) than the guy next to them and deserve more.
                      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

Like I said fair enough, I remember reading in a couple places similar reports from shortly after this went public last year, that things were going south. I had not looked into since, and in search of one of the places to make sure I was not dreaming that I had read it someplace I found the USA today link.

Hes still here, his plan worked he got to stiff his business partner and garner world wide media attention to get a pile of free publicity (aka advertising) to keep him going. Good for him, I wrote it off last year, I am even fairly sure we all discussed this someplace a year ago and this was brought up then. Not a bad plan when you have a few mill in the system earning dividends to help supplement your "generosity" of taking a 93% pay cut.

William Pitt-

Comment

any business strategy that results in almost doubling profit (not revenue... PROFIT) isn't a publicity stunt... it's a good idea.

i bet HR had a fat stack of resumes show up on their desk, too. when word's out that you pay more, the candidates will come to you and you can pick the best. also a solid strategy.

if the IT guy got pissed off and left because he didn't get a raise from $70k... that's probably because someone decided that's what he was worth. i'd have stepped in and done his job- he was probably just admining the local LAN and google apps- but that'd be a pay cut ;)

i don't think his move involved generosity at all. he made a bet on the equity he owns in his company's stock, that if he made this policy change it'd help ramp him up to go public and liquidate. he's still trying to get rich and have the mansion with the lamborghinis.
                          past:
                          1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          1985 323i baur
                          current:
                          1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                            any business strategy that results in almost doubling profit (not revenue... PROFIT) isn't a publicity stunt... it's a good idea.

i bet HR had a fat stack of resumes show up on their desk, too. when word's out that you pay more, the candidates will come to you and you can pick the best. also a solid strategy.

if the IT guy got pissed off and left because he didn't get a raise from $70k... that's probably because someone decided that's what he was worth. i'd have stepped in and done his job- he was probably just admining the local LAN and google apps- but that'd be a pay cut ;)

i don't think his move involved generosity at all. he made a bet on the equity he owns in his company's stock, that if he made this policy change it'd help ramp him up to go public and liquidate. he's still trying to get rich and have the mansion with the lamborghinis.
                            Agreed with your points.

The IT guy was a web developer with the company. He DID get a raise but was unhappy for the reasons mentioned above.

I also agree it was a calculated business move (albeit unconventional) to increase visibility and profits. We can not say how this affected his business partners as we don't have any information other than that his brother was unhappy with Price's compensation in the past and was suing. If he had done something considered traditional (move production to Mexico, cut employees, evade taxes, etc) to increase profits the establishment would be applauding him and saying to increase his salary to 2 million the following year.

Now, back on topic. Hillary sucks!!! And trump, and Johnson too!!!
                            91 318is Turbo Sold
                            87 325 Daily driver Sold
                            06 4.8is X5
                            06 Mtec X3
                            05 4.4i X5 Sold
                            90 325i Sold
                            97 328is Sold
                            01 323ci Sold
                            92 325i Sold
                            83 528e Totaled
                            98 328i Sold
                            93 325i Sold

Comment

Gotta love the "basement-dwellers" and "baristas" comments. I hope that one really bites her in the ass.

The real shame though is that Sanders is still telling his supporters to vote for her. Pretty much proof positive (as if there wasn't enough before) that he's been bought. Total sell-out.
                              Estoguy
                              1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                                My point was, and you are in dis-agreeance with it is seems, is that just because you CAN save more money by finding more loopholes... doesn't mean you SHOULD from a moral standpoint. Especially when one of your campaign platforms is the national debt. It's a well established fact that the tax law favors the wealthy in terms of write-offs, depreciation, etc.
                                2 things

1. by your above post you presume that sending your hard earned wages to the federal government is the best use of your time, effort and hours worked. This is the worst choice. take your deductions like trump does and do something good with the money

2. the "wealthy" get to write off more because they make more money. This is not immoral or unethical, it is current tax law. there is nothing moral or "more" ethical about sending your money to the federal government.
                                In fact you could argue it is immoral as you can do more good with your tax savings by benefiting a local charity or starting a business and hiring someone.
                                “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                                Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X