Nice sounding M20...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice sounding M20...

Engine specs.:Engine block: M20 with 1mm more bore. Top decked. Oil cooling underneath pistons. Removed original water pump and thermostat housing. Replaced ...

holy crap sounds sweeet.
    Originally posted by e30e
    lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Doesn't sound anything like my eta... not at all.

Comment

Judging from the other videos the guy has, that might just be dyno noise that makes that crazy whirring sound.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

reminds me of this one:
        More info here: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78727E30 with naturally aspirated but highly modified M20 engine does 0-240km/h on the Haapsalu...

not taken on a dyno either
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

OR maybe the harmonics produced when pushing the m20 to 7k and beyond. I agree it does sound killer, though still not as intoxicating as 24v downshift and full throttle.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mako18 View Post
            OR maybe the harmonics produced when pushing the m20 to 7k and beyond. I agree it does sound killer, though still not as intoxicating as 24v downshift and full throttle.
            yea that stroker is badass

Comment

Originally posted by Asbradley21 View Post
              Judging from the other videos the guy has, that might just be dyno noise that makes that crazy whirring sound.
              Whirring noise isn't proportional to speed (like diff or gearbox noise) but instead it's proportional to rpm (a la supercharger whine). Might have something to do with the funky electric water pump he installed?

Originally posted by nando View Post
              reminds me of this one:
              More info here: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78727E30 with naturally aspirated but highly modified M20 engine does 0-240km/h on the Haapsalu...

not taken on a dyno either
              That guy has a crazy (valvetrain?) noise above 6.5k. I noticed after the raised redline that my M20 made a similar sound above 6.5k, but it stopped after awhile. I wasn't really a fan of that sound, so I was happy.

Comment

The down shifts made me giggle

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                  Whirring noise isn't proportional to speed (like diff or gearbox noise) but instead it's proportional to rpm (a la supercharger whine). Might have something to do with the funky electric water pump he installed?

That guy has a crazy (valvetrain?) noise above 6.5k. I noticed after the raised redline that my M20 made a similar sound above 6.5k, but it stopped after awhile. I wasn't really a fan of that sound, so I was happy.
                  it's probably the dbilas 312 cam and 8100rpm redline :p

no 24v sounds like a built M20. they just have different sounds.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                    The down shifts made me giggle
                    Me too. They were pretty bad, haha.

it's probably the dbilas 312 cam and 8100rpm redline :p
                    There may be a slight correlation there. ;)

no 24v sounds like a built M20. they just have different sounds.
                    The M20 sound is a thing of beauty. I've come to love the 24V sound too, but it's just not the same.

After I do the M50 swap on my current E30, I kind of want to pick up a redundant E30 and build up the M20. That's how much I like that motor.

Comment

with a proper exhaust note and tune, stock M20's sound excellent at any rpm IMO
                      Late model granitesilber 325i convertible FS:
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=293701

Comment

My crazy m20 stroker !!

Comment

yay for a 5500rpm eta I guess?
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yay for a 5500rpm eta I guess?
                            has a Seta cluster, my redline is 6k on that cluster but is really 5k

and yes the 0-60 is slow, didnt shift at redline, has a bad o2 , over sized tires :D

Comment

so why are you posting a 5k redline M20 "stroker" in a thread with 225whp, 8100rpm monsters? lol
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X