E30 for STX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 for STX?

I'm considering a new (to me) car for 2005 and I'm looking at E30 and E36 BMWs are potential multi-use cars (daily street, autox, and lapping/track).

It seems that STX would be one of the best options for a 325, so I'm trying to wrap my head around the available options/packages since STX no longer has the update/backdate allowance.

The spec chart here at r3vlimited (http://www.r3vlimited.com/Tech/breakdown.htm) shows the 325i available with a 4.10 FD (and lower), but the 325is with a 3.91 or 3.46.

Which cars had the 4.10? I'm guessing an automatic car, but to be sure. What about the 3.96?

What are the diffs between the 325is and 325i? Engine specs seem to be the same - was it just suspension tuning (not an issue for STX, since I'd be redoing it anyways)?

Does anybody know if the E30s gained a lot of weight through the years? I'm thinking airbags, ABS, or other bulky stuff? Or maybe just fancier interiors added weight?

Just a little background on me...
    I used to club race with the SCCA in a Spec RX-7. Bought a house, sold the race car. No longer need my GMC Sierra (nothing to tow), so will probably ditch it for a multi-use car.

E30s are quite a bit cheaper than E36s, so they might be a better option (less damage to wallet if I bang it up at the track). So, I'm here asking questions to see if an E30 is for me.

Also, if you know of other resources for E30s or E36s let me know. Google got a few results, but not a whole lot.

I am in the process of building a E30 AutoX car right now for next season. It is a 1987 325is. I looked into all the available classes and STX just didnt seem to be a good fit. With the WRXs and ITR's the E30's don't stand much of a chance.

I am building mine for DSP which is a much better fit for any year 325is and that was reflected in the Nationals this year where a large portion of the trophies were 325i's of E36 and E30 with Shchipkov's E30 getting 3rd.

STX is dominated by the AWD cars. DSP is a much faster class for the 325's and a better fit.

Unless you want to go up to SM. Thats where I raced all this year in my WRX that class is bonified nuts. But I do plan on returning to SM in 06 with the e30 most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by eric1855
      STX is dominated by the AWD cars. DSP is a much faster class for the 325's and a better fit.
      Yeah, I know DSP is probably a better fit, but budget limits me to Stock, STS, or STX. An E36 325 did trophy at Solo Nationals this year, so I'm also considering those - but E30s are such good buys these days.

Comment

An E30 will be most competitive in D-stock, DSP, or STS. I can't see an E30 being competitive in STX with WRX's, Evo's, and 245 width tires (hard to fit on E30s).

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
          An E30 will be most competitive in D-stock, DSP, or STS. I can't see an E30 being competitive in STX with WRX's, Evo's, and 245 width tires (hard to fit on E30s).
          If its a 325i it will have to go to STX because of the LSD, which excludes it from STS.

I will run mine in DSP this year and see how it goes. I think i can fit 245s or bigger on the car, at least in the rear. With the right stiffness of springs and offset/spacers of wheels I can probably squeeze them in there. I'm going ot have to do something as I have a free set of V710s coming my way and the only 16s are 265's and the 205/50/15s wont be wide enough, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by eric1855
            If its a 325i it will have to go to STX because of the LSD, which excludes it from STS.

I will run mine in DSP this year and see how it goes. I think i can fit 245s or bigger on the car, at least in the rear. With the right stiffness of springs and offset/spacers of wheels I can probably squeeze them in there. I'm going ot have to do something as I have a free set of V710s coming my way and the only 16s are 265's and the 205/50/15s wont be wide enough, IMO.
            Most 325i cars don't have LSD's. 325iS's do, but you can always switch to a 4.10 open or something (I have one for sale by the way :) ).

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Most 325i cars don't have LSD's. 325iS's do, but you can always switch to a 4.10 open or something (I have one for sale by the way :) ).
              oops yeah, i meant 325is.

Comment

I can't remember where I got this list. It might be out of date, and it's for DSP, but it's a start...

DSP setup# Alex Shchipkov's Bimmer is setup as follows:
                # Koni Yellow single adjustable
                # Ground Control Coilover Spring kit
                # Ground Control Camber/Caster plates
                # Ireland Engineering rear shock tower brace
                # Sparco front strut brace
                # Ireland Engineering anti-roll bars
                # Ireland Engineering urethane bushings (subframe, trailing arms)
                # Offset control arm bushings (M3 geometry)
                # Ground Control rear upper shock mounts
                # 4.10 Final Drive with Quaife differential
                # Stainless steel braided brake hoses
                # ATE Powerdisk brake rotors
                # Hawk HP+ front brake pads
                # Metalmaster rear pads
                # 16x8.5 Kosei K1, 17mm offset, rolled fenders
                # 245/45/16 Hoosiers
                # TMS/JC chip
                # UUC short shifter
                # Corbeau Forza Seats

Comment

Originally posted by Jared K
                  I can't remember where I got this list. It might be out of date, and it's for DSP, but it's a start...

DSP setup# Alex Shchipkov's Bimmer is setup as follows:
                  # Koni Yellow single adjustable
                  # Ground Control Coilover Spring kit
                  # Ground Control Camber/Caster plates
                  # Ireland Engineering rear shock tower brace
                  # Sparco front strut brace
                  # Ireland Engineering anti-roll bars
                  # Ireland Engineering urethane bushings (subframe, trailing arms)
                  # Offset control arm bushings (M3 geometry)
                  # Ground Control rear upper shock mounts
                  # 4.10 Final Drive with Quaife differential
                  # Stainless steel braided brake hoses
                  # ATE Powerdisk brake rotors
                  # Hawk HP+ front brake pads
                  # Metalmaster rear pads
                  # 16x8.5 Kosei K1, 17mm offset, rolled fenders
                  # 245/45/16 Hoosiers
                  # TMS/JC chip
                  # UUC short shifter
                  # Corbeau Forza Seats
                  You need to figure a little more in for Alex's car, the driver. He is ridiculously quick. (But still spun my car :twisted: )

That being said, DSP is basically the best fit for these cars, even if they are really beginning to be outclassed by the IS300's & E36's. STX is a rough go for these cars, as they're ~2850 pounds with 168 hp, compared to 190 hp 2350 pound Type R's & 227hp 2800 AWD WRX's.

-Charlie
                  Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                  '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                  FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie

You need to figure a little more in for Alex's car, the driver. He is ridiculously quick. (But still spun my car :twisted: )

That being said, DSP is basically the best fit for these cars, even if they are really beginning to be outclassed by the IS300's & E36's. STX is a rough go for these cars, as they're ~2850 pounds with 168 hp, compared to 190 hp 2350 pound Type R's & 227hp 2800 AWD WRX's.

-Charlie
                    I'm pretty sure the Type R is closer to 2500-2600lbs and the WRX is closer to 2900-3000lbs in STX trim. The WRX also ends up upwards of 250hp with the mods allowed in STX. Not fair at all...

When the E30 M3 is allowed in STX, it pretty much makes the standard E30's completely uncompetitive. IMO the E36 is much better suited to both STX and DSP classes than the E30. I own both and have raced both pretty competitively.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich V
                      When the E30 M3 is allowed in STX, it pretty much makes the standard E30's completely uncompetitive. IMO the E36 is much better suited to both STX and DSP classes than the E30. I own both and have raced both pretty competitively.
                      Very true. I chose the E30 to go with because when shopping for a race only BMW i came across my 325is for only $1000 and it ran great and had a straight body. The much smaller initial investment was very appealing. Taht and everyone loves a challenge.

Also, on that note, when my WRX was in STX trim it was around 2950 and made about 225 at the wheels. They are THE car to have in STX unless on a super tight course then the ITR being more nimble and no lag has a slight advantage, but there tight and slow aren't in the vocabulary of national level course designers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared K
                        Yep, you are right, it is out of date. You probably got it from http://teamsoloracer.com
                        I definitely need to update that list there.

If you want to run STS and not have to deal with an open diff get a 3.91 out of iX with viscous diff. I think E30 non M3 can be fairly competitive in STX.

Comment

Originally posted by alex
                          Rich, you were right all along about the Quaife.
                          Went back to a stock clutch, eh? The new modified clutch packs are awesome, even if the car is on two wheels...

Too bad we never caught eachother out at Topeka. I caught the tail end of you running the pro and that was it. Left Thursday morning after SM finnished running. Very impressive finnishing position Alex.

Comment

Quaife?

I no longer have 4.10 with Quaife. I've got stock 3.73 with clutch pack with 271kmiles on it in the car right now. Quiafe, race tires, and turns don't go well together on a BMW.
                            What was the problem with the Quaife?

Comment

If you want to run STS and not have to deal with an open diff get a 3.91 out of iX with viscous diff. I think E30 non M3 can be fairly competitive in STX.
                              Based on the SCCA rules, I don't think you are allowed to change gearing or change your limited slip in STS.

Are you saying that an E30 could be competetive against, for example, a WRX or an E30 M3 in STX class?

Jared

Comment

Working...
                              X