Alpina B3 2.7 Track Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JGood View Post
    Interesting exhaust, I've never seen that before. What are the benefits of doing that? Seems like it would just move the cg up higher.

Great driving! The ITB's look sweet.
    Thanks.

The exhaust inside the boot is comprised of two virtually weightless carbon fiber silencers. I wanted to have the maximum amount of space available at the bottom of the car for a diffusor. The car will still get a flat undertray and deep sideskirts and front spoiler to achieve a low pressure zone under the car. I prefer achieving downforce like that rather than with a big, high drag boot spoiler.

As an added benefit, the exhaust pumps air into a low pressure zone, thus minimally reducing drag.

Unfortunately when the exhaust was made, I had a 733i engine mount rubber with a custom arm on the exhaust side. I have now changed back to the M20 arm and nylon engine mounts. This has shifted the engine and that is why the exhausts are no longer in the center of the holes.

Comment

what tires are those?

with the exhuast removed from the original location you should put a full panel down there covering the area up underneath. That would make a larger improvement on airflow then pumping exhaust into the low pressure zone.

ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook - Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerScreamer View Post
        what is the intake setup in the videos?
        Still standard M20 aluminium intake manifold with standard M20 airbox.

Bored out throttle body and 733i (same as 535i, I think) AFM. K&N filter. 292 deg camshaft.

Comment

Originally posted by PaintPro21 View Post
          what tires are those?

with the exhuast removed from the original location you should put a full panel down there covering the area up underneath. That would make a larger improvement on airflow then pumping exhaust into the low pressure zone.
          The tyres are 225/17 Bridgestone semi-slicks all round.

I am going to close that hole up either this weekend or the next. Next week Wednesday is a public holiday here and I will be back at the track.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
            Thanks.

The exhaust inside the boot is comprised of two virtually weightless carbon fiber silencers. I wanted to have the maximum amount of space available at the bottom of the car for a diffusor. The car will still get a flat undertray and deep sideskirts and front spoiler to achieve a low pressure zone under the car. I prefer achieving downforce like that rather than with a big, high drag boot spoiler.

As an added benefit, the exhaust pumps air into a low pressure zone, thus minimally reducing drag.

Unfortunately when the exhaust was made, I had a 733i engine mount rubber with a custom arm on the exhaust side. I have now changed back to the M20 arm and nylon engine mounts. This has shifted the engine and that is why the exhausts are no longer in the center of the holes.

Wow, cool. I was going to ask you if you were trying to smooth out the underside, but I didn't realize you had a cool setup like that in the works. Show us pics when its done!!

Maybe you could get aluminum round plates that are larger then the original holes to put over top, it would not only protect the paint but you wouldn't see them being off center. Kinda like this: http://jjlcustoms.com/FIL2527.JPG
            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
            e30 restoration and V8 swap
            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
              @ BeirBrennerE30
              There were only 15 Alpina B3 2.7 cars made under license in SA. They started with a regular 2 door 325i and upgraded it with Alpina parts. There was nothing special about the gauge cluster - if you're referring to the digital gauge installed in the aircon vent, that only came out on the 333i. By the way, the car in your sig looks awesome.
              Interesting. The european Alpina's got a special cluster with red/orange needles a speedo that went up to a higher kmph and "ALPINA" writen across the front. I have been looking for one for a while.

Keep me posted on your aero mods. I have always wanted to do a flat undertray with functional diffuser on an e30 as well as some other serious auro mods but never got around to it. I would love to see how your setup comes out
              e30sport.net
              '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
              '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
              '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by PaintPro21 View Post
                Eveyone's lines were all over the place, in combination with open passing. looked like a dangerous mix
                Agreed

You (if you were driving the e30) should work on taking a little later apex's, you were early pretty much throughout the video.

It's also hard to tell if you are rev matching your downshifts, I don't think you are, you should also try to work on that.

Comment

nice video. that motor seems to be a little peppier than the stock m20 we got here. and with the car stripped, you got a nice weight advantage. that 540 was doing a heck of a job managing that weight! :)
                  '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                  '91 SpecE30 #523
                  '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Originally posted by kishg View Post
                    nice video. that motor seems to be a little peppier than the stock m20 we got here. and with the car stripped, you got a nice weight advantage. that 540 was doing a heck of a job managing that weight! :)
                    agreed, it was surprisingly quick around a track that you'd think would suit a smaller, more nimble car. Gotta love the flames coming out the 540 tailpipe too. I love the Alpina, it sounds and looks great
                    There is a certain elegance to the nasty old M20s that is hard to recapture in the more modern power-plants.
                    -DCColegrove

Comment

aa man can't wait to track roebling road in two weeks!!!!!!! this is an awesome vid, you got that braking down so well just barely chipping the tires. great driving. 2:48 got flames from the 5-series ; /
                      No more e30s for me.
                      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                      91 BMW 325i [sold]
                      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by notoriousracing View Post
                        Agreed

You (if you were driving the e30) should work on taking a little later apex's, you were early pretty much throughout the video.

It's also hard to tell if you are rev matching your downshifts, I don't think you are, you should also try to work on that.
                        In turn 1 the car prefers approaching the apex sooner ; turning in later you end up on less grippy line plus the tracks drops down (corner is a bit downhill) faster. When I first overtook someone on the start / finish straight and ended up starting the corner from the inside, I was worried but surprisingly, it worked out well.

Turn 2 is tricky and I have battled for exit grip in other cars. The line I took with the Alpina allowed me to accelerate hard from the apex onwards whereas I used to have to wait much longer. Notice how I catch up to the 540i there.

Turn 4 is actually more like two turns together. Initially it is relatively sharp (for the approach speed) and then eases up considerably. I find myself wishing for more power ; once the tight part is over, I could use more power to accelerate through the remainder of the turn. As it is now, I just try to straighten it out as much as possible to avoid scrubbing speed.

I will try turning in later for some sessions next Wednesday and see if I can improve lap times. Thanks for the observation, I hope that I can use it to improve lap times. I am chasing another E30's lap time at that circuit - he (racing driver) does a 1:12.7 and I managed a 1:13.9 on my first outing. He drives the TuneTech car seen on the other video that I posted from Kyalami - see link on page 1 of this thread.

To see the TuneTech car (Winfield livery) in action, check out this video. Carrying a passenger in the E46 M3, drops lap times by 3 seconds.

Last edited by Andreas; 04-17-2009, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roriii View Post
                          agreed, it was surprisingly quick around a track that you'd think would suit a smaller, more nimble car. Gotta love the flames coming out the 540 tailpipe too. I love the Alpina, it sounds and looks great
                          The 540i has an adjustable KW suspension and handles exceptionally well. Also uses 265/18 semi slicks and has a custom BBK.

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                            aa man can't wait to track roebling road in two weeks!!!!!!! this is an awesome vid, you got that braking down so well just barely chipping the tires. great driving. 2:48 got flames from the 5-series ; /
                            Thanks.

The Alpina B3 now has a boosterless brake setup with a Tilton pedal box that allows me to easily adjust front to rear brake bias. Front : floating 330mm AP Racing disc with 4 pot AP Racing calipers. Rear : E46 M3 disc (328mm) with E46 M3 rear caliper.

Comment

the turn in didn't bug me as much as everyone having poor track out techniques. pinching off exits and the like.

ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook - Twitter

Comment

Good lord there are some scary drivers out there... Sweet car though.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X