• Dyno4mance
    replied
    Great race and good camera work/editing
    What engine did the blue car (leader) have in it...? sounded like a V8
    Do you have specs or info?

Leave a comment:

• SA E30
    replied
    So this weekend I went to watch the one series that I will be racing in. Man! There are some ex dirt oval Space frame N/A Rotaries running and they are FAST! Class B cars challenging the class A guys!

Here is a video from the 1st race (courtesy Andreas):

This is the first Super Saloons race of 2010. Mike is competing in his E46 M3 Turbo (2.8L M52) and there are quite a few other BMWs in the championship as well.

On another note. I got a lot of work done on the car this weekend. I finished up the running boards, completed mounting the hood, mouted and modified the headlights (as we're only running the low beams) and I painted the Carbon Hood and running boards/side skirts white to match the rest of the car.

I should hopefully have time to pick up some of the steering and brake components from the engineer today. Still waiting on the front subframe and control arms from our welder.

Pictures to come as soon as I charge my camera.

Leave a comment:

• SA E30
    replied
    So this past weekend I had a spurt of motivation. I got working on the inner fender wells again. I finished up the left hand side one and took on the harder right hand side. Cutting the lip away on the wheel well and welding it back closed was easy. Sectioning the battery box was much more of a challenge. I enlisted the help of my dad to make up a blanking plate to fit the section.

Then this afternoon I got home from work a bit early and got cracking on the running boards. I'm about 85% done with the left hand side one. They are relativley easy to make but I have discovered the the flares on the car aren't all that straight. Annoying as heck.

I still need to fabricate the barge boards but I will only do that once the car is back on the ground as I need to work out how low to make them. I'm also a little undecided on the material. I'm thinking maybe using some Lexan sheet and painting it as it's pretty brittle or just using more PVC sheeting plastic but thinner. I will see.

I also attempted to install the 3.64:1 40% lockup differential and pump this weekend but was unsuccessful. Can anyone see the reason in the following picture?

Then there is my gratuitous shifter picture. I love the GT style know I designed for the car. It's sexy and heavy which I think will give the shifts some weight.

On another note. We should be fetching the steering components in the week. In the next week the control arms from our welder who welded some sway bar brackets to them. That should hopefully allow us to get the car back on it's wheels and off to get a "secret" location to get moulds taken off of it, and some minor modifications to the kit.

I also plan on running the rear brake lines in the up coming week. Once we get the hats back I will do the front.

Leave a comment:

• Longboardmtk
    replied
    I can't believe I'm just finding this now... sweet jesus that's an awesome build. Keep up the progress!

Leave a comment:

• ansonivan
    replied
    Originally posted by UNIQETA View Post
    My jaw hurts from being open for so long
    That's what she said.

Leave a comment:

• UNIQETA
    replied
    My jaw hurts from being open for so long

Leave a comment:

• RedStar240
    replied
    Now that is a race car build.

Leave a comment:

• SA E30
    replied
    Went past the engineer and it seems he has almost completed the new roll centre spacers, bolts for the steering rack, and steering rack clevis. He said they will all be done tomorrow. Unfortuntley I won't have time to pick the stuff up.

I have also been nagging the guy who does the welding for us (well on the stuff I don't trust my welding to be on :P ) He said he's really busy and we have to wait 2 weeks longer for our control arms, and subframe.

I've come to the conclusion I'm just going to purchase springs from some vendor, anyone know of H&R vendor? 2 months waiting for springs is ridiculous!

Then this afternoon when I got home from work I had to fab up some metal parts. I figured while I had the stuff out it was time to finish the front left wheel well. I finally ground it smooth, and tacked it in back up ground it down. I just want to add some seam sealer then it's done.... and onto the right hand side, which is more difficult as I have to contend with cutting the battery tray up.

Pictures will be posted at the end of the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• turbo325i
    replied
    Excellent work here my friend! Love the cage!

Leave a comment:

• SA E30
    replied
    Not much happening right now.

Waiting on front subframe, new steering arms, control arms to come back form having a sway bar bracket weldeded onto it, front brake hats to arrive from the engineer....

A whole host of small parts to attach said pieces onto the car. Although I have recieved my short shifter with GT ally knob. 3.64 40LSD, with Solid Diff Bush is waiting to go into the car,

Along with final fitting and painting of the running boards.

I'll try snap some pictures tomorrow but it's not much too look at.

Leave a comment:

• ThreeTwentyFissel
    replied
    OP: update please...

Leave a comment:

• Be30mer
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeDE View Post
    M3 GTR had a V8....
    damn i did not know that. learn somin new everyday

Leave a comment:

• SA E30
    replied
    No, no real big snags. Just took heating, bending and some welding. Although it seems much more sensative now with only having the one pivot point. I still need to find a stronger return spring. As currently I have 2 stock ones in place and the pedal still feels kinda light.

I will work more on that one the engine is in and throttle cable is connected.

On another note. I haven't been able to get as much work done on the car as I would have liked due to the torrential rain we seem to be having. Kinda frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• newman
    replied
    While I assume it's as straightforward as I think, did converting the pedal to hanging prove to be difficult? Any snags or setback?

Leave a comment:

• karimMsalama
    replied
    great work in this car

Leave a comment:

Working...
X