• Bmil951
    replied
    Subscribed. Amazing build.

Godspeed.

Leave a comment:

• markseven
    replied
    Originally posted by SA E30 View Post
    Nope, not yet. Got loads done on the car in the interim.

Finished up the brake system bar the front callipers and flexible lines, as I'm waiting on the lines and adaptors to arrive.

The steering rack is mounted (e46 M3), with the mounting Clevis. Just waiting for the custom rack ends to also be done at the engineer.

The biggest project I've been working on is the front bumper. Getting it too match the fender is a small feat in itself. Working on it slowly getting there.

I'll upload pictures sometime soon.
    Please do.

Leave a comment:

• Pooh_UA
    replied
    great car project:)

Leave a comment:

• SA E30
    replied
    Nope, not yet. Got loads done on the car in the interim.

Finished up the brake system bar the front callipers and flexible lines, as I'm waiting on the lines and adaptors to arrive.

The steering rack is mounted (e46 M3), with the mounting Clevis. Just waiting for the custom rack ends to also be done at the engineer.

The biggest project I've been working on is the front bumper. Getting it too match the fender is a small feat in itself. Working on it slowly getting there.

I'll upload pictures sometime soon.

Leave a comment:

• 87e30
    replied
    Bump? This done?

Leave a comment:

• SA E30
    replied
    Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
    Hey, what clutch/flywheel assembly are you going to run with the S54 and ZF? Are you going to use E36 S50B30 spec'd stuff from the pilot bearing back to the throwout bearing? Just curious as I'm using the same gearbox and haven't had a chance to mock anything up.

Cheers, Ryan
    That is the plan as of now but I'm with you I haven't had a look at it as of yet I will in the next few weeks when we tear down the motor. Although I have been told that the Flywheel and clutch from the early E46 M3's is a smaller diameter than the old ones. That is unconfirmed as of yet. Either way we are getting an ally flywheel, and a stock Sachs clutch with extra strapping.

Originally posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
    more info on this setup (upper mount/shock)
    The top mounts are custom made the base plate is basically an exact copy of a regualr RSM but with plates welded onto them.

The dampers are custom made units made by arguably our top suspension guy in the country. I took him a 1992 DTM Damper and got him to make it up the same but with the exception of the bottom mount which is longer as I'm running regular trailing arms and not ones like the DTM cars which relocated the mount to above the axle.

Spring rates are 600,650,700lbs and they are a 60mm ID spring. It is incredibly close to the body but it does clear by a few mm.
    Last edited by SA E30; 03-03-2010, 02:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• psyber_0ptix
    replied
    Think you're speaking about the Pontiac. The red one?

more info on this setup (upper mount/shock) :D

Leave a comment:

• iflytii
    replied
    Great video! Glad to see you are making mostly forward progress (sorry about the diff cover).

Leave a comment:

• rThor432
    replied
    Hey, what clutch/flywheel assembly are you going to run with the S54 and ZF? Are you going to use E36 S50B30 spec'd stuff from the pilot bearing back to the throwout bearing? Just curious as I'm using the same gearbox and haven't had a chance to mock anything up.

Cheers, Ryan

Leave a comment:

• SA E30
    replied
    Think you're speaking about the Pontiac. The red one?

Leave a comment:

• psyber_0ptix
    replied
    i love that rear shock setup....i was wondering why i haven't seen many kits combining the coil and strut...but you seem to have pulled it off nicely

Leave a comment:

• leland21
    replied
    some pretty amazing exhaust sounds in that video, funny to see a mini in front of the viper lol.

Leave a comment:

• SA E30
    replied
    I just noticed no one realized what is wrong with the differential picture. Well the slotted mount is located 180deg out. My stupidity when I pressed it in. Then when trying to press it back out I managed to break the differential cover.

Luckily my engine tuner had some spares kicking about and I got it pressed in correctly.

Pictures to come when I find my camera data cable... DOH!

Leave a comment:

• Hallen
    replied
    That's a little narrow minded. ;) but hey being in Africa has it's perks like the Global Economic Recession hasn't hit us nearly as hard as most of the world.

We have some stupidly fast race cars here, and a testament to that is the Nissan Dakar off road cars are designed and built here in South Africa by Nissan Motorsport SA.
    lol, yeah, until you've seen different parts of the world, it really doesn't sink in that there are fanatics, nut cases, and perfectly normal and boring people everywhere. :)

I'm not surprised at all after being to Cape Town. I have never seen more freaking awesome cars out on the streets at one time as I did when I was there. Ferrari, Porsche, MB, Aston Martin, BMW's all over the place. And, I saw tons of well-preserved E30's too. SA has its problems like any country, but it also has a fine tradition of hard-core racing.

Leave a comment:

• SA E30
    replied
    On the blue car? It's an ex national modified race car (from the mid 80's). Opel Reckord, or Holden depending on where you're from.

He IS the man to catch in at the moment and always has been. It's piloted by a South African race legend Willie Hepburn and get this the man is 70ish.

I think at the moment the car has around 500odd hp. I laugh because I spoke to him and told him the competition is catching up to which he replied. Well when they catch me I will stick my Nascar motor in there with 750hp.

It's an amazing car and even more so that it was built back in the mid 80's not much has changed on it and it still dominates.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X