No announcement yet.

S54 Widebody e30 race car build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i love that rear shock setup....i was wondering why i haven't seen many kits combining the coil and strut...but you seem to have pulled it off nicely
    Originally posted by FredK
    However, in your absence, I will likely sit in your seat buck naked while making racecar noises as if I were maxing your E30 out on the Mulsanne Straight while allowing the perforated vinyl to soak up my butt sweat (going 200 mph does that to you).

My year in Germany
    Feedback

Comment

Think you're speaking about the Pontiac. The red one?

Comment

Hey, what clutch/flywheel assembly are you going to run with the S54 and ZF? Are you going to use E36 S50B30 spec'd stuff from the pilot bearing back to the throwout bearing? Just curious as I'm using the same gearbox and haven't had a chance to mock anything up.

Cheers, Ryan

Comment

Great video! Glad to see you are making mostly forward progress (sorry about the diff cover).

Comment

Originally posted by SA E30 View Post
            Think you're speaking about the Pontiac. The red one?

more info on this setup (upper mount/shock) :D
            Originally posted by FredK
            However, in your absence, I will likely sit in your seat buck naked while making racecar noises as if I were maxing your E30 out on the Mulsanne Straight while allowing the perforated vinyl to soak up my butt sweat (going 200 mph does that to you).

My year in Germany
            Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
              Hey, what clutch/flywheel assembly are you going to run with the S54 and ZF? Are you going to use E36 S50B30 spec'd stuff from the pilot bearing back to the throwout bearing? Just curious as I'm using the same gearbox and haven't had a chance to mock anything up.

Cheers, Ryan
              That is the plan as of now but I'm with you I haven't had a look at it as of yet I will in the next few weeks when we tear down the motor. Although I have been told that the Flywheel and clutch from the early E46 M3's is a smaller diameter than the old ones. That is unconfirmed as of yet. Either way we are getting an ally flywheel, and a stock Sachs clutch with extra strapping.

Originally posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
              more info on this setup (upper mount/shock)
              The top mounts are custom made the base plate is basically an exact copy of a regualr RSM but with plates welded onto them.

The dampers are custom made units made by arguably our top suspension guy in the country. I took him a 1992 DTM Damper and got him to make it up the same but with the exception of the bottom mount which is longer as I'm running regular trailing arms and not ones like the DTM cars which relocated the mount to above the axle.

Spring rates are 600,650,700lbs and they are a 60mm ID spring. It is incredibly close to the body but it does clear by a few mm.
              Last edited by SA E30; 03-03-2010, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Bump? This done?
                Originally posted by z31maniac
                I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Nope, not yet. Got loads done on the car in the interim.

Finished up the brake system bar the front callipers and flexible lines, as I'm waiting on the lines and adaptors to arrive.

The steering rack is mounted (e46 M3), with the mounting Clevis. Just waiting for the custom rack ends to also be done at the engineer.

The biggest project I've been working on is the front bumper. Getting it too match the fender is a small feat in itself. Working on it slowly getting there.

I'll upload pictures sometime soon.

Comment

great car project:)

Comment

Nope, not yet. Got loads done on the car in the interim.

Finished up the brake system bar the front callipers and flexible lines, as I'm waiting on the lines and adaptors to arrive.

The steering rack is mounted (e46 M3), with the mounting Clevis. Just waiting for the custom rack ends to also be done at the engineer.

The biggest project I've been working on is the front bumper. Getting it too match the fender is a small feat in itself. Working on it slowly getting there.

I'll upload pictures sometime soon.
                      Please do.
                      I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Subscribed. Amazing build.

Godspeed.

Comment

World Cup bump! Updates?

Comment

Very nice build.

Comment

Sorry I've been quiet.

Car is getting there. We're waiting on a some suspension bushes, braided brake lines, wheels and the new slightly longer rear dampers to get back. Then we can drop it back onto it's wheels and start with engine work.

Which is a sore point. The S54 was pulled apart and the no.4 cyl was gouged, piston was shot and the rod was bent. I have no idea what caused this as we bought the motor as an unknown quantity. At the moment we don't have the budget to source new internals.

What we are going to do is run a S50b32euro until funds allow for the S54 to be put back together.

All in all, after we get the car on it's wheels. It's just a matter of dropping in the engine and wiring up the car.

I have taken pictures. I will update when I get some time.

BTW, The World Cup here is also taking up some time. It's INSANE here! I'm sorry to say the American women aren't safe from my advances! :P haha. I haven't seen yet seen one who isn't good looking this side!
                              Last edited by SA E30; 06-15-2010, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Sorry I've been quiet.

Car is getting there. We're waiting on a some suspension bushes, braided brake lines, wheels and the new slightly longer rear dampers to get back. Then we can drop it back onto it's wheels and start with engine work.

Which is a sore point. The S54 was pulled apart and the no.4 cyl was gouged, piston was shot and the rod was bent. I have no idea what caused this as we bought the motor as an unknown quantity. At the moment we don't have the budget to source new internals.

What we are going to do is run a S50b32euro until funds allow for the S54 to be put back together.

All in all, after we get the car on it's wheels. It's just a matter of dropping in the engine and wiring up the car.

I have taken pictures. I will update when I get some time.

BTW, The World Cup here is also taking up some time. It's INSANE here! I'm sorry to say the American women aren't safe from my advances! :P haha. I haven't seen yet seen one who isn't good looking this side!
                                You're lucky the fat ones aren't there!

Looking forward to to seeing the car progress.
                                Originally posted by z31maniac
                                I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Working...
                                X