Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325 "nothing" or 318is for general track car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325 "nothing" or 318is for general track car?

I currently have an 88 325 (non-e/s, non i/s) coupe with a 5mt, 2.93LSD, ~155K, sunroof, IS weaves with A/S tires. It has had recent driveshaft service (CSB, guibo, etc.), but other things need updating to make it track-worthy (timing belt/cooling system, brakes, suspension).

I have a possible opportunity to trade it for a 91 318is coupe 5mt without a sunroof, 4.10LSD, similar wheels and tires. It has 250K, but meticulous maintainence records.

I am relatively new to the track world, but my 325 was bought just to get track time in autoX, HPDEs, etc. It might see one day every 2 weeks on the street, just for fun.

I want to have a car that is fun to drive with a reasonable investment (brakes, suspension, tires, wear and tear maintainence). Regardless of my chosen vehicle, fun is the goal. I will run BMWCCA autoX events, as well as some local track events. I don't need to be nationally competetive- just to have fun.

So which is a better platform for fun track time? Keep the 325 and build it, or swap for the 318is and get to work on it?
    Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Between the two motors, Im partial to the M20. Both M20 cars I had were great.

That said, the ony e30 I own is a 318is without a sunroof. For a track car, Id take the car without a sunroof naturally. And I think you'll really enjoy the 4:10 gears.
    -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
    2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Cash View Post
      Between the two motors, Im partial to the M20. Both M20 cars I had were great.

That said, the ony e30 I own is a 318is without a sunroof. For a track car, Id take the car without a sunroof naturally. And I think you'll really enjoy the 4:10 gears.
      You have just emphasized my dilemma. :D The gearing and features on one are a huge plus. The motor on the other is preferred.

Any and all can be swapped, for a price. Well, save for the sunroof delete, which can still be accomplished. I am only 5'5" tall, so at least helmet headroom is not an issue.

If I decide on an M/S swap down the road, neither will be at a huge advantage. I think that a shorter diff might be easier than getting more power out of an M42, however. But the 318 has such complete records, I feel like reilability might be better.

I suck at deciding.
      Patrick Henry

Comment

I would say the 318 as its lighter and faster than an eta anyway.
        ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

The 318i. No hesitation!
          '89 325i track sloot
          '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

318is hands down. Although I would have had a tough choice between my eta and 318is back in the day.. Either will drive great, but I think the 318is is the ideal car for someone who is new-ish to DE's. And if you arent new-ish to DE's, the eta will be run over in B, A, and instructor group. I think the 318is handles well enough to stand a fighting chance in the upper groups.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. i am in discussions now with the 318is owner.
              Patrick Henry

Comment

if it were me, I'd be building that into a 2.7i, with a cam, standalone and a 4.10.

But, stock for stock, 318is no questions asked.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
                  I currently have an 88 325 (non-e/s, non i/s)
                  it's an e ;)
                  http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Originally posted by daniel View Post
                    it's an e ;)
                    not just any e, super eta. OP could easily turn it into a 2.7i with some mods and have maybe 50hp on the 318is. however, i would choose the 318is for a more fun car (and better handling) right off the bat.

Comment

318is slickroof!!!
                      '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                      '91 SpecE30 #523
                      '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

simple. Go for the more solid and clean shell. If the 318 is cleaner do it. they are excellent for auto x. lighter upfront very helpful in the quick turn ins, and the 4 cylinder is great for rev matching and learning to heal-toe.
                        get the the cleaner of the two as the motor is always intergangable for low dollars. But from auto xing my buddys superbs stock 318 in a couple of events, i can tell you there are some definite advantages to having the 1.8 in a tight course where your in high second to mid 3rd gear the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel View Post
                          it's an e ;)
                          I knew it was an eta car, but I wanted to specify the lack of letter designation so that people did not ask if it was an "i/s" or an "e/s" car and assume that I had neglected to specify.
                          Patrick Henry

Comment

Originally posted by coolasacuc View Post
                            simple. Go for the more solid and clean shell. If the 318 is cleaner do it. they are excellent for auto x. lighter upfront very helpful in the quick turn ins, and the 4 cylinder is great for rev matching and learning to heal-toe.

get the the cleaner of the two as the motor is always intergangable for low dollars. But from auto xing my buddys superbs stock 318 in a couple of events, i can tell you there are some definite advantages to having the 1.8 in a tight course where your in high second to mid 3rd gear the whole time.
                            I already own the 88 325. The shell on the 325 is pretty good, with only a minor door dent and some surface defects from age.

I stumbled across the 318 for sale and offered a trade. We are discussing the particulars at this time.

If this falls through, I will continue to work on the 325 and probably do something like this:

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            if it were me, I'd be building that into a 2.7i, with a cam, standalone and a 4.10.
                            Patrick Henry

Comment

Well, that all fell through. He was willing to trade, but wanted money on top. As much as I'd like to do it, I juse can't justify more money on top of what I already have invested. He wanted another $500-750 on top of my car.

If I had the money just sitting around, I'd be tempted to do it for my car +$500. I don't, however (well, I DO, but it is in savings for my wife's impending maternity leave).

It was a nice thought...
                              Patrick Henry

Comment

Working...
                              X