Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever need to know your tranny/diff temps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you ever need to know your tranny/diff temps?

I was thinking of ordering some sensor for testing.

a.) Do you ever need to know your tranny/diff temps?
    b.) What is a normal range for gear boxes and gear oil?
    c.) Do you need to know it for maximum temps? Or for not driving hard on a cold drivetrain? Both?

THanks!

gg
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

interesting questions.. I would love to know diff temps on the track. But I will probably use some of the extra logging capacity of MS3 when I make that step.. lots of extra ADCs for fun stuff like oil temp/pressure logging.

I would think rear diff would be a good one. tranny too but you don't often see coolers for manuals.. I think they tend to be pretty efficient.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've seen it before, but as far as I can tell the only reason you'd need it would be if a bearing went, the fluid got cooked, or there wasn't enough fluid to cool it in the first place. Or if you have an auto.

A few guys I've seen run a normal temp gauge with a switch that allows them to switch between sensor signals.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

In my opinion you only need to keep track of it if it smells like absolute hell.

The tranny is fine, you can fry a diff with a tight LSD in 30 minutes if you use the wrong oil.

And when I say smell like hell..... a dead horse infested with maggots on the 4th of July will smell better than a fried diff.

Jay from GC
        Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
        Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
        Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
          I've seen it before, but as far as I can tell the only reason you'd need it would be if a bearing went, the fluid got cooked, or there wasn't enough fluid to cool it in the first place. Or if you have an auto.

A few guys I've seen run a normal temp gauge with a switch that allows them to switch between sensor signals.
          That's what I was thinking. Maybe if that pretty oil temp gauge in George's sig had a few inputs or something, and there was a quick and easy way to switch between them. I definitely wouldn't want a dedicated gauge for diff or tranny temp.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            I was thinking of ordering some sensor for testing.

a.) Do you ever need to know your tranny/diff temps?
            b.) What is a normal range for gear boxes and gear oil?
            c.) Do you need to know it for maximum temps? Or for not driving hard on a cold drivetrain? Both?

THanks!

gg
            We installed a temp sensor in our Diff drain plug and have it hooked up to a temp gauge we were using for Oil temp before we went with a digital dash.

We have only had one test day on the track since its been installed. Hoping to learn more about diff temps as the season progresses.

Comment

diff temp would be useful.
              '12 F30 328i Sport Line
              '91 SpecE30 #523
              '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Working...
              X