Rear Wings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Wings?

I have yet to do any research on this topic but I was wondering if I could get some quick help. I am going to add a rear wing to my NASA GTS 1 E30. I am trying to figure out what height the rear wing needs to be to be effective on a car. The width I believe should be aprox the width of the car and I think the height needs to be just as high as the cockpit height? Any help would be appreciated. I reach 118mph on the back straight at mid Ohio and about 90 mph through turn 1.
    Kevin Gibson
    90 325is

what do the rules allow for?
    sigpic
    '86.5 325eis Track Ho | '08 128i DD | '04 Silverado Tow Vehicle

Comment

unlimited. What ever I want to do I can. This is a power to weight class and has no limits to aero. Money however is a limiting factory in my case. I am going to probably go with an ebay classic 2 level alum wing, just tryingto figure out the height I should buy.
      Kevin Gibson
      90 325is

Comment

I think the wing needs to be positioned close to the height of the roof to be effective. Look at Pro cars for examples as they've pretty much figured it all out.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The wings leading edge should be just about roof height, maybe a but higher. I would mount it as far back as I can.

The higher and further back from the roof line the element is. The cleaner the air it receives and hence it makes it perform better.

Comment

We went with the APR wing on our D-Mod BMWCCA club race car. The wing is reasonably priced, we fabricated our own uprights to get to roof height.

We get the car up into the 130mph range it could probably go a little faster on larger tracks.

Comment

Do you have any pictures of how you mounted the uprights?

Comment

We have the same rear wing on our e46. The carbon fiber molding is fabulous.

Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                  We have the same rear wing on our e46. The carbon fiber molding is fabulous.

OT: What engine is in that E46?

Comment

The DTR One Lap of America e30 from this year has the APR wing as well. You can hit up Kevin, the car owner (DTRguy on here), or Anthony Magagnoli, the driver (Black SpecE30 w/NASA) and get their feedback on it.
                    Current Cars
                    2014 M235i
                    2009 R56 Cooper S
                    1998 M3
                    1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by bobmartin View Post
                      OT: What engine is in that E46?
                      Chuck Stickley's (CSS Motorsport) 2.9 M50 with 290hp at the wheels. Running on Motronic with custom chip done on dyno. Engine is fed with 104 octane.
                      The shell is a 2600lbs 323i with e46 M3 suspension. 50/50 weight balance.
                      Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

I had the same APR wing before "upgrading" to my G-Stream. In hindsight I think I might have been just as happy had I made taller uprights, kept the APR wing and put the $ towards racing consumables.

Comment

Originally posted by SA E30 View Post
                          Do you have any pictures of how you mounted the uprights?
                          Sorry, I don't have any photos of the install but I can talk to it.

We mounted the uprights using large aluminum "L" stock at the base of the trunk that run the length of each bracket. Each bracket has 2 aluminum L's at the bottom with 3 large bolts attaching the L's to the upgright.

Then we bolted each L bracket thru the bottom of the trunk.

Then we used a long Aluminum strip about 1 inch by 3 mm that makes a V between the upgrights to the area between the 2 tail lights at the level of the trunk lid. The V bracket bolts thru the uprights at the leading edge just below the trunk level and is bolted between the tail lights. That part was added to manage any side to side flex.

Our install is very strong. Not only does it transfer the downforce directly to the chassis but we can push the car from the uprights.

Comment

So is your upright one piece?
                            When you need to open your boot lid do you have to remove the wing?

Comment

If it was me i would have the uprights coming off of the license plate area, although the further back the wing the more its going to hurt front end grip

Comment

Working...
                              X