Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so whos tracked w/ 15s and also 16s?

Im thinking about going 16 inch..

Ive run 15s w/ R tires for years....(15 x7 and 225/50)

whos tracked both....what are the differences in seat of the pants?

what width wheel...7 or 8 or?...

and what offsets?.......

did you use an r tire?..what size?.....any clearance issues?...

I know that 16 will have a lower profile so perhaps less squirm....perhaps less forgiving?....better turn in....but they will be heavier too.....let me hear your thoughts....

thnx!!!
    Last edited by JRKOUPE; 08-13-2010, 02:09 PM.
    I love sitting down and just driving!

16s is a great size, you can get wider tires.
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

In my experience, it is a wash. What you gain from the increased contact patch of tires on 16" wheels you loose from the greater unsprung weight, at least with mostly stock M20B25 engine.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I have not run Data on 16" tires. I have not seen any tires sizes in 16" that would make me want to leave the 15" set up I have.

I run Hoosier and Toyo and both have 225/45/15.
        Brian Jacobs

Comment

I've run 15x7s with 205 toyo r comps and I know not 16's, but 17x7.5s with 235/40 toyo and nitto rcomps for 1 year.

15s and 205s feel so agile, but width is lacking.

17s with 235s feel heavy given my heavy ass wheels (?21-22#?) but this shit is planted. 300hp is not really an issue.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
          PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Originally posted by E30 F34R View Post
            uh, what?

you can get 15" up to 275s, how many E30s can even run those?

personally for tire choice I'd go for 17", but you'd need a lightweight forged wheel ($$$$) and the tires cost double what 15" tires cost. Not worth it when they are consumables, although I've often wondered what the much shorter sidewalls feel like
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post
              I've run 15x7s with 205 toyo r comps and I know not 16's, but 17x7.5s with 235/40 toyo and nitto rcomps for 1 year.

15s and 205s feel so agile, but width is lacking.

17s with 235s feel heavy given my heavy ass wheels (?21-22#?) but this shit is planted. 300hp is not really an issue.
              you can also get 235 toyo r-comps in a 15" ;)
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by E30 F34R View Post
                lol
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

15's are your best bet, lots of options, and cheaper tires too. Stay away from 16's $$$$ and limited sizes in good track tires..

Comment

^ that. 15x8 with 225s plenty of choices :)
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I've run 15x8, 16x10, and 18x10 on e30 (non-M) chassis with rolled stock sheet metal fenders. The 305 rubber on the 18" wheels does provide significantly better grip than anything I could find for the 15x8 wheels, but my REAL 16x10 wheels are really sweet. By far lighter than anything I've seen anyone else running in 15" sizes and they clear my AWESOME BBKs from Massive Brakes. 23.5x11.5/16 slicks fit them very well and the grip is tough to beat without adding the additional weight and ride height associated with the 18" stuff. My #96 NASA GTS car uses the REAL stuff and my old #03 DM BMW CCA CR car used the 18x10s. The "new" e30 "Vader" is running the same 18x10s spares from the #03 car, but if I were starting over today, it would have 16x10 REAL wheels. Inexpensive. Extremely lightweight. And WIDE enough to put some serious meat on an e30!:):):)
                      sigpic
                      Mike Akard #03 CM Street Legal, Licensed, & Insured 1991 (e30) 318is
                      S50B32 & E30 Parts - Spares - Go-Fast Goodies ALWAYS FOR SALE!
                      VADER CM V8 Coming in 2011!!!

Comment

rubber and 16s

thanks for the responses........I consider many of the responses here significant as I know many of you..and your expertise.

It looks like there is no clear reason to pony($$) up for 16s.....at least right now.

Mikey A,.....I cant even imagine the costs on the REALs....and they would not fit stock sheet metal.....correct?
                        I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by makard View Post
                          I've run 15x8, 16x10, and 18x10 on e30 (non-M) chassis with rolled stock sheet metal fenders. The 305 rubber on the 18" wheels does provide significantly better grip than anything I could find for the 15x8 wheels, but my REAL 16x10 wheels are really sweet. By far lighter than anything I've seen anyone else running in 15" sizes and they clear my AWESOME BBKs from Massive Brakes. 23.5x11.5/16 slicks fit them very well and the grip is tough to beat without adding the additional weight and ride height associated with the 18" stuff. My #96 NASA GTS car uses the REAL stuff and my old #03 DM BMW CCA CR car used the 18x10s. The "new" e30 "Vader" is running the same 18x10s spares from the #03 car, but if I were starting over today, it would have 16x10 REAL wheels. Inexpensive. Extremely lightweight. And WIDE enough to put some serious meat on an e30!:):):)
                          nothing like running on real slicks as opposed to R compund. but talk about consumables.
                          Brian Jacobs

Comment

I purchased the set of 16x10 REAL wheels that are on the #96 car for about $1000.00 delivered, but they were a set built for a Mazda. So, I had to order new centers with the 4x100 BMW bolt pattern. I think the set of new centers cost about $500.00 delivered. Then, of course, we had to buy a tube of silicon caulk to seal them with and minimal labor associated with taking them apart and applying the sealant when we reassembled them with the new centers. I didn't think a total price of less than $400.00 per wheel for a 16x10 that weighs less than 12lbs and can be setup to clear BBK from MASSIVE BRAKES could event remotely be considered to be overly pricey....and YES they CAN be installed using stock sheet metal with some significant "rolling" of the fender openings for clearance (I have photos of my #03 car running in IP with 305/30-18 rubber under "rolled" stock sheet metal, so I'm 100% certain this CAN be done).

Since 2001, I've been buying 16" take off slicks (eg: Goodyear Eagle radials) for $75 per tire delivered. They were good enough for several class record lap times and at least one BMW CCA Club Racing national championship. IMO, the bottom-line cost associated with the incredibly superior grip of a contact patch of this size, utilizing internet to find quality used items, is what I consider to be very economical compared to buying new narrower R compound tires & wheels in the sizes that are commonly known to "fit" an e30 (not to mention the significant performance gains associated with that superior contact patch configuration actually weighing less than a good portion of the 15" stuff that is so widely used). If the rules don't require one to stick with narrower sizes and/or smaller diameters.... my opinion falls into the redneck category of "Go BIG or go home!" :):):)
                            sigpic
                            Mike Akard #03 CM Street Legal, Licensed, & Insured 1991 (e30) 318is
                            S50B32 & E30 Parts - Spares - Go-Fast Goodies ALWAYS FOR SALE!
                            VADER CM V8 Coming in 2011!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                              In my experience, it is a wash. What you gain from the increased contact patch of tires on 16" wheels you loose from the greater unsprung weight, at least with mostly stock M20B25 engine.
                              I concur. Stick to 15s.
                              '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                              '91 SpecE30 #523
                              '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Working...
                              X