325ix autocross - winter edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix autocross - winter edition!

Me and my friend Eli co-drive my 1991 325ix, and he ends up taking 1st in novice class his first time out

My friend had never been to an autox - I've been bugging him about it for years. He finally calls me and wants to go, but his VW Rabbit definitely won't pass tech (has a vice grip holding on the gas pedal - hahaha!). I offer to let him co-drive my car - I can coach him a bit, and he can help keep my tires warm!

It was frickn' FREEZING cold. Literally, there was ice all over the place, with a northeaster blowing on us. Felt like 20 degrees. Tires actually worked much better than I expected, with both of us driving they did warm up - and for being over 2 years old, with multiple track days and 20,000-some odd street miles on them, the R888s stuck very well.

I'd like to think my coaching helped - he went from bottom of the pack, 52-second times to fastest novice of the day at 46 seconds (by a good margin, I think at least 1 second). Not bad for his first time out huh?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

very nice, and good coaching. I remember my first autocross... poor cones. How do you like the R888's? I just picked up a used set not too long ago for the cheaps.
    -Alex

Comment

I think they're perfect for a dual purpose tire. They seem to last forever. I thought they were dead but I might still run them for a few more months once this winter weather goes away...

still debating the replacement size - 235/50s again? 225/50s for less weight? 225/45s for stiffer sidewalls? hmm..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

car sounds so good! I wanted to autocros so bad this year but my E30 wont pass inspection with its leaky rear main seal:( I might try my brother 79' 280zx or my wrx (wrx would be horrible because of no bottom end and it not letting you go into first unless your under 10mph.)

7speedshop.com

Comment

Looks like alot of fun
          Cool video as well

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
            car sounds so good! I wanted to autocros so bad this year but my E30 wont pass inspection with its leaky rear main seal:( I might try my brother 79' 280zx or my wrx (wrx would be horrible because of no bottom end and it not letting you go into first unless your under 10mph.)
            how bad is the leak? generally unless it's making a huge puddle a drip isn't going to be a big deal. my engine leaks quite a bit, but not really enough for it to matter.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              how bad is the leak? generally unless it's making a huge puddle a drip isn't going to be a big deal. my engine leaks quite a bit, but not really enough for it to matter.
              it drips a few drops every couple minutes, when its not running it doesn't leak much at all. it wont make a puddle just about a half dollar sized spot after like 5-10 minutes of sitting and running.

7speedshop.com

Comment

sounds OK to me :p

if mine leaked any more I'd nickname it "Deep Horizon".....
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  sounds OK to me :p

if mine leaked any more I'd nickname it "Deep Horizon".....
                  lol, i'll try to do some autox this year then.

7speedshop.com

Comment

got some pics from this event, they look photoshopped but they aren't. it was really fricken' bright, and also damn cold..

Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

what class are you in?
                      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

He looks really smooth for his first time out.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Nice cheating. You know R comps aren't allowed in Novice.

Comment

I don't think the -30 temps helped the Rcomps much.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Bglad View Post
                              Nice cheating. You know R comps aren't allowed in Novice.
                              Im not a novice, and we werent expecting to be timed anyway. Not my fault.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X