No announcement yet.

"Jaywatch" Lemons E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was always under the impression that metal bumpers take hits better than plastics.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
      I was always under the impression that metal bumpers take hits better than plastics.
      That seems more correct.

In other news, we got an awesome residual! It's sort of feasible to do a manual M30 swap!
      cars beep boop

Comment

b34 would be tits! (I think) it would hook right in to your existing 1.1 setup too. How much residual did they give you?

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          That seems more correct.
          In other news, we got an awesome residual! It's sort of feasible to do a manual M30 swap!
          I guess I have it mixed up in my post "late vs early". Yes metal bumpers do take an impact better than plastics. The older chassis do have higher rear wheel arches and is a lighter chassis. Whereas the plastic bumpers have the better fuel tanks.

m30s is a torque monster.. I just dont like it being that heavy in the front. B34 is like an 2.7 ETA m20. You want a b35.
          That much torque will only increase your likelihood of spinning in the wet. And require more finesse with small 205 tires. I prefer a lighter engine so I'll have less weight to push around. The goal is to stay on track as much as possible. Fuel consumption is my main concern.
          Last edited by XvillainousX; 03-31-2011, 11:34 PM.

Comment

^ Good point, fuel is something to consider too.

We got about 4 hours out of our eta motor before needing refueling, though 1/2 that time was either in the rain or under full-track yellow :(

My b35 swap car sucks down fuel like you wouldn't believe. However you could easily run a 3.25 or 2.93 diff and just ride the torque curve. It would mean a lot less time shifting and more time on the ppoowwaaaaa!!!

Comment

Well I'm not sure if you noticed a 4 door chop top e30 at the event. He has a b35. He has to gingerly accelerate out of corners even in the dry. He had monstrous torque on the straights but in the rain he was useless. Also consider your weight bias going into turn 3 and down the hill at T-hill. Your rear end is going to be everywhere but straight.

Keep it m20 since you have a 2.7 eta already just put on a 731 head and lighten flywheel and I ecu. It easy to find m20 spares in the paddock unlike m30 in case something breaks. So consider that as well. A couple years back there was an e30 that made it through the judges and tech with an s50 swap. This was at T-hill. He ended the race on his roof.

Comment

hmmm, I don't remember that car. What team/theme was it? or did you mean the chopped white e28?

I can imagine a b35 being a handful in the wet, absolutely. But with a right gearing, an LSD and a patient driver I'm sure it is more competitive than a stock b25, just a little trickier to learn. I've never found my b35 swap car to be more difficult to drive than an m20, but it's never been on the track either.

Comment

Guys, a motor with more power will always be more difficult to control than a motor with less power. That's pretty much obvious.

Of course, there are arguments against putting in an M30 - weight, inexperience of our drivers (although we took it easy and only had one black flag when we were forced off, no spins at all!), too much powa to an already lightened rear end. It may be wise to just find an I motor and a manual trans. (did I mention we were auto?)

The only problem is that i motor + manual trans would probably run us about as much as M30 + manual trans, and it feels bad wasting our residual on a motor that other e30s in the race got stock. Seems sort of pointless, if we're going to do all that work.

The white chop-top car was an e28.
                  cars beep boop

Comment

Some rear ballast would be a good idea. Did you already ditch the trunk tar? If so, consider putting some sandbags in the wheel wells or in the spare tire well. It may make you 100+lbs heavier but I bet you'll still be faster around any track.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                      Some rear ballast would be a good idea. Did you already ditch the trunk tar? If so, consider putting some sandbags in the wheel wells or in the spare tire well. It may make you 100+lbs heavier but I bet you'll still be faster around any track.
                      We kept the tar, being aware of this issue. Our spare tire well is currently occupied by a cool suit reservoir, but once we go full pickup, probably will put ballast in there.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                      X