• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shopping for a Roll Bar

My research shows this:
    VSR ~ $750 shipped
    Autopower ~ $650 shipped
    Kirk ~ $625 shipped

So, fill me in with your experiences and pictures if you have them.
    -install?
    -fitment?
    -shape/crossbars?

Thanks
    S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
    What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

you just wnt the roll bar? i bought a second hand autopower cage and fitted it myself, its a nice unit for a bolt it. i'd imagine that the autopower bar is just as good.
    My feedback:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
    @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

PM me your email I have some pics of my Autopower Bar that im very pleased of!

Comment

For the e36 at least, autopower is garbage. The E36 kirk is way better designed, so I'd go with that if budget is an issue.

The VSR is the best though, hands down.
        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I'm in Orlando/Longwood and I build custom cages and roll bars!! I can build you a custom rollbar for 750, welded in, provided that you bring me a car pretty much ready for it. Carpet, sound deadening etc removed. I can unbolt seats etc. so you drive it to me!
          Check out chrisleonemotorsports.com. I will be adding some pics of my 318i cage that is underway!! Very tight and very safe!!
          Chris Leone
          chrisleonemotorsports.com
          rollcages and fabrication
          Remember cross threading is the only thing stronger than loctite!!

Comment

Originally posted by xxlbimmer View Post
            I'm in Orlando/Longwood and I build custom cages and roll bars!! I can build you a custom rollbar for 750, welded in, provided that you bring me a car pretty much ready for it. Carpet, sound deadening etc removed. I can unbolt seats etc. so you drive it to me!
            Check out chrisleonemotorsports.com. I will be adding some pics of my 318i cage that is underway!! Very tight and very safe!!
            I'd be very interested to see pics of the work in your 318. Post some up when you can.
            S50'd

Comment

Custom, weld-in, in your neighborhood, no brainer, this is not a place to save $100. O, I can get some 40mm offset wheels and get 20mm spacers for racing cheep, same no brainer, get the right wheels. http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=133296 $300 deathtrap.
              Last edited by TimR; 04-03-2011, 06:41 AM. Reason: link

Comment

Originally posted by TimR View Post
                Custom, weld-in, in your neighborhood, no brainer, this is not a place to save $100. O, I can get some 40mm offset wheels and get 20mm spacers for racing cheep, same no brainer, get the right wheels. http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=133296 $300 deathtrap.
                I don't follow what you're saying here. yeah, I like the idea of the local weld-in. How do the wheel offsets and cabrio roll bar relate?
                S50'd

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
                  I don't follow what you're saying here. yeah, I like the idea of the local weld-in. How do the wheel offsets and cabrio roll bar relate?
                  Welcome to the land of Tim.

Baiscally, he is trying to say that it is amusing when people buy wheels with the wrong offsets to save $100, and that buying a roll bar shouldn't be a similar experience. I think that's what he is saying, I never can understand wtf his posts mean. Why he can't post clearly I have no idea; I mean, he posts unrelated pictures of his S38 swap in his cabrio roll bar design thread.

By posting the link to the (not his design) cabrio bar, I think he is implying that it is a very poor design (which it is), and that it isn't worth the $300 (which is true).
                  2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                  95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                  98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Boss's car has a kirk bar which fits really well, Though I just picked up a VSR bar and pulled it out of the guys car. The VSR bar fits wayyy tighter than the kirk. In fact I had a bit of trouble just fitting the damn thing out of the car. When I find time to actually put it in I will post pictures, but I'm sure that there are pictures somewhere. As for getting a custom roll cage welded in, I would be sure to check with whatever organization you are driving with to check and see if this guys cages are even legal for what you want to do; not all cages are built the same.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 89DelphinE30 View Post
                      PM me your email I have some pics of my Autopower Bar that im very pleased of!
                      can you post pics hear? I am entrusted in the fitment and how/where its bolted.
                      :borg:

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
                        My research shows this:
                        VSR ~ $750 shipped
                        It should be noted that your price above includes freight shipping to a business address in Sarasota.

Prices will vary depending on location of buyer and what the freight companies feel like adding on for "fuel surcharges" that specific week. (They've got a great racket going!)

Originally posted by Syncro325is View Post
                        Boss's car has a kirk bar which fits really well, Though I just picked up a VSR bar and pulled it out of the guys car. The VSR bar fits wayyy tighter than the kirk. In fact I had a bit of trouble just fitting the damn thing out of the car. When I find time to actually put it in I will post pictures, but I'm sure that there are pictures somewhere. As for getting a custom roll cage welded in, I would be sure to check with whatever organization you are driving with to check and see if this guys cages are even legal for what you want to do; not all cages are built the same.
                        Just because a roll bar or cage is welded in, doesn't necessarily make it better. I've seen some terrible cages built with improper sized tubing, incorrect attachment methods/locations, and incomplete welds. You will definitely want to look into seeing examples of any fabricators work, and ensure it meets/exceeds the requirements for any sanctioning group you may elect to run with.

-Chris
                        Below the radar...

Comment

All of the cages I build are for SCCA IT/Prod/STx etc. I can build to whatever ruleset necessary. If you run BMWCCA, PBOC, SCCA, NASA name it, get me the rules if I can't get them, we(together!!) figure out what suits your needs the best!! Currently I have dies for 1 1/2, and 1 3/4 and can bend .065, .095, .120 etc!! Whatever suits your needs we can build!
                          I'll have my E30 pics up tomorrow evening!!
                          check out my website: chrisleonemotorsports.com
                          Last edited by xxlbimmer; 04-03-2011, 05:38 PM. Reason: added website
                          Chris Leone
                          chrisleonemotorsports.com
                          rollcages and fabrication
                          Remember cross threading is the only thing stronger than loctite!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                            By posting the link to the (not his design) cabrio bar, I think he is implying that it is a very poor design (which it is), and that it isn't worth the $300 (which is true).
                            Which is ironic in itself...considering the custom weld-in rollbar in his own cabrio would never pass tech with the SCCA or FIA ;)
                            sigpic
                            1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                            2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

XXLBimmer looks to have it east coast, were in Denver. This is the quality you want from a cage. If they dont bend the front bar and fit going down the windshield it looks like KaKa. And done right adding bars for higher compitition should be a piece of cake. Not why did i buy this erector set cheep cage. Now i got to replace it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a Mazda kit, see the custom plates to weld to, notched, all connections are marked.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X