Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hankook RS-3 or R Comps

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice regarding tire selection for my first HPDE coming up this June. I've done a handful of autocrosses, on my Street setup (bbs RZ rims with rt-615s). In the last year I've picked up a set of track wheels (D force) that I will use for the upcoming HPDE at infineon.

I've heard some people say not to use R comps as a track newbie as it will teach bad habits. On the other hand, I've got a set of street-ish tires already, so why not go with the R Comps on the track set, right? In any case, I've got a line on some used RA-1s or R888s or equivalent... will likely be cheaper than the brand new Hankooks.

Please help talk some sense into me. Thanks.

go with what is cheapest for sure. R888s are pretty forgiving and give lots of feedback at the limit.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I am all about the Toyo R888, great feedback

I also like NT05s
      95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
      Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
      LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

tires

R tires rock...if u r a newbie it may not be the BEST choice..in a perfect world youd want several DEs under your belt BEFORE running Rs......to learn car control, balance etc etc...etc...

.. they can cover many mistakes......but who cares??...lol

I run RA1s.....love em...many folkx do NOT like r888s........
        I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

it's funny how polarizing they can be. I think they're fantastic, but I'm not racing on them every weekend..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Have you driven Infineon? We just did a LeMons event there. It's a tough track! But sooo fun!
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I've heard that RA1s will not heat cycle out - I assume the R888s are the same? Similar compound right? just different tread pattern.

I actually have a set of NEARLY new R888s for the rear (235 width). I suppose I could run 225 fronts, but would rather have a square set up of 225 all around, not staggered.

If I decide to run the R888s I have, I would be emulating Rob's (UUC) setup:

green, wheel, boston, 1, big, wheels, swap, valve, bmw, 24, brake, kit, e30, uuc, e36, mtech, alcon, 24v, motorwerks, dforce

That might be a little too much tire on a 7" rim, but I got the tires cheap.

Comment

just try them out and see how you like them. I run 235 all around in 8in wide for my daily and on my 8/9 track set up
                95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Originally posted by brian52555 View Post
                  I've heard that RA1s will not heat cycle out - I assume the R888s are the same? Similar compound right? just different tread pattern.

I actually have a set of NEARLY new R888s for the rear (235 width). I suppose I could run 225 fronts, but would rather have a square set up of 225 all around, not staggered.

If I decide to run the R888s I have, I would be emulating Rob's (UUC) setup:

green, wheel, boston, 1, big, wheels, swap, valve, bmw, 24, brake, kit, e30, uuc, e36, mtech, alcon, 24v, motorwerks, dforce

That might be a little too much tire on a 7" rim, but I got the tires cheap.
                  If you want to sell the 235s i might want them
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Sure, I'll let you know. Shipping to Washington might be prohibitively expensive though...?

Comment

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice regarding tire selection for my first HPDE coming up this June. I've done a handful of autocrosses, on my Street setup (bbs RZ rims with rt-615s). In the last year I've picked up a set of track wheels (D force) that I will use for the upcoming HPDE at infineon.

I've heard some people say not to use R comps as a track newbie as it will teach bad habits. On the other hand, I've got a set of street-ish tires already, so why not go with the R Comps on the track set, right? In any case, I've got a line on some used RA-1s or R888s or equivalent... will likely be cheaper than the brand new Hankooks.

Please help talk some sense into me. Thanks.

If you have a line on some RA-1's and don't choose to use them, please share the hook up.

The RA-1 is a great choice, waay better than the 888 bricks. If you want to see how fast a tire can go away, try a set of 888. The RA-1's wear like iron down to the cords, are forgiving and...did I say there good to the cord? No better value per $ and grip than the RA-1 for fun track days. This is pretty universally known.

The only real payback for R tires: Stickers on the side of the car for a regional/national race and registering with said tire on side of car, winning in a (tire) supported class, and collecting contingencies and/or free tires. Otherwise, R tires are for contract drivers, competitive rising contract drivers, or rich guys/wannabees.

Ed
                      1988 E30/S50...now with S52; Track
                      1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
                      1998 Lexus LX470; Wife (Slee'd anyway)
                      2002 BMW 530i; A+ Commuter
                      2002 BMW 325iT; Sport/Premium 5-speed
                      2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

Sure, I'll let you know. Shipping to Washington might be prohibitively expensive though...?
                        I think if you band them together it wont be bad
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by ed94r View Post
                          If you have a line on some RA-1's and don't choose to use them, please share the hook up.

The RA-1 is a great choice, waay better than the 888 bricks. If you want to see how fast a tire can go away, try a set of 888. The RA-1's wear like iron down to the cords, are forgiving and...did I say there good to the cord? No better value per $ and grip than the RA-1 for fun track days. This is pretty universally known.

The only real payback for R tires: Stickers on the side of the car for a regional/national race and registering with said tire on side of car, winning in a (tire) supported class, and collecting contingencies and/or free tires. Otherwise, R tires are for contract drivers, competitive rising contract drivers, or rich guys/wannabees.

Ed
                          Or for people who just want to have fun with their cars? The view must be nice from up there...
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            Or for people who just want to have fun with their cars? The view must be nice from up there...
                            Alright...I'll tone it down a bit. R's are fun for sure, but the IMHO the ROI is not worth it unless you are being timed for a trophy and/or have a finish line to cross for a podium. All my opinion of course...and others surely may see it differently and totally disagree. I got no problems with that.

BUT, if I have to pay for tires and run my E30 on Hoosiers (or any other serious R tire) OR RA-1's for an HPDE, I'll take the RA-1's without any thought.

Ed
                            1988 E30/S50...now with S52; Track
                            1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
                            1998 Lexus LX470; Wife (Slee'd anyway)
                            2002 BMW 530i; A+ Commuter
                            2002 BMW 325iT; Sport/Premium 5-speed
                            2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

The RS3's are great on track, very tolerant of high temps and they give good feedback when overdriven. They are a little vague feeling on turn-in, IMO. They are around 1.5 secs per lap slower around my local track (approx. 2 mins/lap) than Nitto NT01's in the same size on the same car.

The R888's heat cycle out quicker than the RA1's, so if you're already buying used I would buy RA1's if they're available. They will be more consistent and be "good" longer. Nitto NT01's are the same compound as the RA1 but have larger tread blocks, so they tend to squirm a little less when new. Overall they're basically the same though, so don't discount either tire.

If you've never been on track before, I would probably start with something like the RS3, Z1-Star Spec, etc. They're 95-98% as fast, last just as long, but give you a lot more warning before they let you do something really bad.

That being said: If your choice is between r-comps and your RT615's, absolutely get R-comps. The Falken's are scary on track.
                              Chris
                              97 M3
                              01 325
                              Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X