neewbie needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JJ1 View Post
    Ive had both. If you track regularly they both last about 6mos. The starspec lasts a bit longer but are way more expensive. The starspec is better in the wet but the rs3 is better in dry (socal). The rs3 is a wider 225 than the starspec is. And last the overall diameter of the tire will be better for an e30 with the rs3. A 45 aspect ratio vs a 50 for the starspec. All that being said, both great tires.

JJ
    but do you really think a stock e30 needs more than a 205?

i can see a turbo or swapped car with 225. i agree they are both great tires. although i only have personal experience with the starspecs and i love them!
    ]

Comment

More tire patch is always better, you can carry more speed through the turns and break later regardless of your power output.

Comment

Im stupid. I just realized the weaves are 14". I was thinking 15". Starspecs are actually available in 14s rs3 are not. Sorry. If you get 15" weaves I stand firm on all the other stuff I said previously. :)

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm Trying to wear down the Kelly Chargers that the weaves came with so I have an excuse to buy new tires.

Comment

whats the treadwear on those?
            ]

Comment

i daily drive my starspecs for past 5 months 60+ miles a day and 2 track events and they are holding up well..
              i say theyll last another 6-8 months
              i love them when they get warm ;)

"Hard Work Pays Off"

1991-bmw 325i (R3vvd)
              1990- 325 (mpowa)(GC)(track)(beast)
              1988- 528e (daily driven when track car broken)

Comment

rs3's are $150 less for a set and better for what you want them for.
                225/45 16
                The starspec lasts a bit longer but are way more expensive.
                Huh? I just bought 15" StarSpecs from tire rack two weeks ago and they were only $9 or $10 more per tire. That's close enough (in 15") To make the decision based on performance and use more than cost. IMHO :)

But that's for everyone else, for the OP go with StarSpecs, because they are the only ones that will fit 14" :D

The starspec is better in the wet but the rs3 is better in dry (socal). The rs3 is a wider 225 than the starspec is. And last the overall diameter of the tire will be better for an e30 with the rs3. A 45 aspect ratio vs a 50 for the starspec. All that being said, both great tires.

JJ
                The aspect ratio may be different, but the sidewall height is almost EXACTLY the same, at 4in. I'm curious what you may think of the reports that the Starspec has a stiffer sidewall, and thus better initial turn in and slalom performance? Few would notice it I'm sure, but few would notice a 225 tire over a 205 ;-)
                -------------------------------------------------
                1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
                2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Working...
                X