What's up with my brake rotors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's up with my brake rotors?

I've been running the massive street kit (Corrado rotors) for about a year. I'm using Hawk HT10 pads. About 4 track days and 10 autocrosses of use. They work flawlessly but these strange surface marks are appearing. The look like little cracks but my fingernail doesnt catch on any surface imperfections. Thoughts?
    S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
    What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Its called heat checking, absolutely normal. When your fingernail gets caught than you have something to worry about.
    Chris Leone
    chrisleonemotorsports.com
    rollcages and fabrication
    Remember cross threading is the only thing stronger than loctite!!

Comment

+1, those are heat checks and they mean that it it will soon be time to replace the rotors.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

sometimes, they will also turn blue from many hot heat cycles
        E30 buildy things
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

There is nothing wrong at all with those rotors. They look just fine. Check out this blog and video from TC Motorsports about brake wear. http://www.tcmotorsports.net/blog/in...-brake-rotors/
          1991 318i - Ground Control, 4.10 Limited Slip, Dinan Chip, Sport Interior - Daily Driver and Track Toy - Sold

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i

Comment

WTF spam bot. GTFO!

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by MattAvino View Post
              sometimes, they will also turn blue from many hot heat cycles
              Even on street cars they should have a blue haze on them if your pads were bedded to the rotors properly.
              Originally posted by Gruelius
              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I'm using Hawk HT10 pads.
                Yeah, I had that experience, too. Went to a different pad, problem
                didn't recur. Recently, seems like Brembo rotors have started checking quickly.

Me, I don't like it, because sooner or later- and you never know when- the rotor
                will split. THAT makes me rather nervous.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

While this is normal, that disk shown has a lot of checks and they're getting long. I'd personally replace them very soon.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Normal...just scuff them up with sandpaper to knock the glaze off and they will look like new...enjoy those BBK
                    NASA
                    BMWCCA member
                    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                    1997 M3 sedan
                    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

I have drilled and Slotted rotors from Brake Labs. Big difference over stock, are you running bigger calipers or stock?
                      BAZINGA!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X