No announcement yet.

My road trip setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luckily, I am usually within range of the AAA Premium, so anything that renders the car non-rolling, I will use that avenue. I have rented both the UHaul dolly and the trailer. I saw no use for the extra weight of a dolly bouncing around back there, and the trailer with a car on top sways too much in the wind for my comfort. I set cruise control at 72mph flat towing and the Van seems to break the wind up. I also tow with the Rally tires to AutoX events, then swap out.
    sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Gary, did you weld the bar to the bumper brackets or bolt them on?

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

Brackets are bolted on.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Horneck View Post
          Brackets are bolted on.
          Got any close up pics of that? I've got an old small bumper I might pull the mounting bits off of, wanna get an idea on something before I start dicking around.

-Charlie
          '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
          FYYFF

Comment

Is this what you need? Bracket fits into the bumper cover recess, has two grade 8 bolts that go right through the shock plates behind. Blue locktite, and they have never moved,
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

I neutral tow it. Bentley gives an OK for that. All my OT venue's are about 100 miles away.
              Keep in mind that the transmission is lubricated through the input shaft. basically the fluid that is still floating around from moving the car should be okay for 100 miles, otherwise you need to start the car and get some oil moving around.

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
              Tire wear who cares, i tow at most 3hrs each way. Tire wear is minimal with respect to wear at the track.
              that really depends on your alignment. I have 2 degrees of toe out, I wouldn't want to do anymore (even if it might be beneficial) if I was driving or flat towing to events.
              '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
              NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
              Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Section 1, page 29 of Bentley -
                Note -
                There are no speed or distance restrictions when towing a car with a manual transmission, provided the transmission lubricant is filled to the correct level.

An automatic is a different story.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                  Keep in mind that the transmission is lubricated through the input shaft. basically the fluid that is still floating around from moving the car should be okay for 100 miles, otherwise you need to start the car and get some oil moving around.
                  More info on this please... this could be the show stopper 0.o
                  Originally posted by Dave View Post
                  I've kicked around the idea of a tow dolly - and this actually has the same disadvantages, with maybe a little less PITA factor.

If you get a mechanical, sure you are fine, but any kind of incident that renders the car non-free rolling, and you are fooked.

And as far as tires, I'd rather not subject my R compounds to the potholes, risk of nails, debris, etc. If you are rolling on balloony snow tires like the OP, that is different. Works a little better for a rally car, though I suppose the chance of damamge maybe is greater?

So, for me, I'd still be having to swap tires at the track.

Mid Ohio is a little under 3 hours from me and Putnam is a little over two.

I'll stick with my "little red wagon" HF trailer until I can do it right. No disrespect to the thread starter. I applaud his work.
                  meh them road and potholes won't do anything to your r-comps (i too rock em) one lap and a couple rumble strips will have 10x the effect with the hot tires and side loads imo..
                  that really depends on your alignment. I have 2 degrees of toe out, I wouldn't want to do anymore (even if it might be beneficial) if I was driving or flat towing to events.
                  i can see 2deg toe being an issue though..
                  No more e30s for me.
                  88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                  88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                  91 BMW 325i [sold]
                  86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Anyone got pictures of a pulled apart late model plastic front bumper? Stuck at work and now I'm getting ideas..

-Charlie
                    FYYFF

Comment

take bumper off. adapter on the shocks.. or on the frame if you remove the 4-bolts on the shocks.

being a track car, i'm getting rid of them shocks. making my own (lighter) bumper mounts.. will keep this in mind if the transmission lubrication is not an issue (ZF e36 tranny in my case)
                      No more e30s for me.
                      91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                        More info on this please... this could be the show stopper 0.o
                        Just remember reading threads about it, it's the reason the manual says 100 miles max. You could have the car idle and it will re-lubricate the transmission. Other than that, you could disconnect the driveshaft or something. the diff is going to be internally lubricated without issue, so that's whatever.

Comment

well its good to know..! def plan to get back on the track more next year since i moved to norCal. i'd rather not disconnect driveshafts or get fancy. for that sort of distance i think a proper trailer is best.

thanks dude.
                          No more e30s for me.
                          91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Just remember reading threads about it, it's the reason the manual says 100 miles max. You could have the car idle and it will re-lubricate the transmission. Other than that, you could disconnect the driveshaft or something. the diff is going to be internally lubricated without issue, so that's whatever.
                            What manual says 100 miles? Not the Bentley Service Manual, the only one I go by.
                            sigpic

Comment

What manual says 100 miles? Not the Bentley Service Manual, the only one I go by.
                              maybe im thinking of the auto transmission, but I remember reading it being 100 miles for either, but I'm clearly not 100% sure. I mean, it doesn't seem like much work as a preventative measure, just stop every 100 miles and let the car idle for 1 minute.

Comment

sweet trailer set up. I may have to look into this
                                95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                                Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                                LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Working...
                                X