My First Autox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Autox

This weekend I flew to Oakland, CA (from Columbus, IN) and we went to the Bay Area BMWCCA autox. I drove my bro's '90 325i totally stock. It was also my very first autox. I did surprisingly well too. My brother has been autox-ing for about 5yrs and his best timed run on the course was a 66.245 which was his 4th run. My best time was a 66.389 on my last run. I was very impressed with myself. Also, the first run group of the day had a stock 2002tii. On the back part of the course there is a lot of weight transfer and the sidewall on his front left tire flexed so it was under the wheel and the wheel came down and scraped the pavement and it made him flip. He was alright, but I thought that it would be REALLY hard to flip a car on a flat autox course. Here are some pics of the 2002, then of me.

Me^^^

My Brother showing stock suspension^^^

Will
    RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
    Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
    DaveCN = Old Man
    My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
    If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Good job Will. Now you can Auto-X on your insanely crap local place.

Come have fun with IndySCCA next year on 16th Street.

Comment

Nice results for a first timer. Enjoy it!

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Local place sucks... I prolly wont autox there. And if I did, I would kick major ass ;) I will come next year to the IndySCCA stuff. It was way fun. AND... I dont care what class I get put in, because all I want to do is have fun which means I can do whatever I want to the car ;)

Will
        DaveCN = Old Man

If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

It is very hard to flip a car during autocrossing. The usual reasons are driver error or shitty equipment. It sounds like both on that day.
          Nice job beating your brother.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

More pics of the ///M now!
            Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
            FullOpp Stickers for sale!
            NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
            Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
            ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

I dont believe I have anymore. That m3 was trailored there by the trailer right behind the Z8. He was on Rcompounds and I know he just got a 3puck clutch and was still getting used to it lol. Here is another cool car that was there. VERY quick driver.

And about the 2002 that rolled, the sidewall on the tire flexed so much and the wheel scraped the pavement, causing it to flip. Possibly driver error. But remember it was a TOTALLY stock '74 2002. Big floppy sidewalls on the tires.

Will
              DaveCN = Old Man

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist
                Also, the first run group of the day had a stock 2002tii. On the back part of the course there is a lot of weight transfer and the sidewall on his front left tire flexed so it was under the wheel and the wheel came down and scraped the pavement and it made him flip.
                Holy shit. I've never heard of that in my life.

Comment

Neither have I man. I was EXTREMELY surprised when it happened. I thought it was weird as hell. You shoulda seen him hustlin that thing around corners though.

Will
                  DaveCN = Old Man

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist
                    I dont believe I have anymore. That m3 was trailored there by the trailer right behind the Z8. He was on Rcompounds and I know he just got a 3puck clutch and was still getting used to it lol. Here is another cool car that was there. VERY quick driver.

And about the 2002 that rolled, the sidewall on the tire flexed so much and the wheel scraped the pavement, causing it to flip. Possibly driver error. But remember it was a TOTALLY stock '74 2002. Big floppy sidewalls on the tires.

Will
                    What class was the 'ti' in?

-Prince
                    Randall Prince
                    http://www.rp1.us/ Used Cars

Comment

I'll find out for ya :)

Will
                      DaveCN = Old Man

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceE30
                        What class was the 'ti' in?

-Prince
                        Andy Chittum's 318ti is in GGC's Gonzo Class (our highest performance class). He last ran it at one of the support races at the San Jose Grand Prix, thus the graphics. His best time was a 58.222. FTD was Navid Kahangi in his Mitsubishi Evo. Fastest BMW was Chris Webber in his father's (Ken Garcia) Gonzo Class E30 325is, at 55.715. Ken had a 55.807.

Chris C, who rolled his Tii, has not been scared away from autocrossing and plans to attend our October event in his Mini. Not a BMW Mini, an original Mini!

In my 20 years of GGC autocrossing, I'm only aware of one other rollover - a Malaga 2002 that had been restored by its owner (Steve Carbone), and which did not have a stock suspension. In Steve's case, he slid sideways into some of that black tar crap that comes up through the cracks between concrete slabs at airports. We also had an X5 get up on 2 wheels, but it survived a hard landing (wheel gouged into the pavement). SAVs haven't been allowed in GGC events since that happened.

Scott Miller
                        GGC BMW CCA #44977

Comment

Ah, Mr. Scott Miller. I believe your's is the peeling grey paint AAA early e30 correct? I am Grant Low's brother.

Will
                          DaveCN = Old Man

Comment

Working...
                          X