Dec 2011 Club Races At Roebling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dec 2011 Club Races At Roebling

This is an example of yo-yo racing. I'm faster in the corners, but the Spec E36, the DM, and the IS walk me on the straights. To make a pass and have it stick I'd have to get by in T1/2 or maybe in T4 (and have open track in front). Otherwise I won't have enough lead by the time we get to the front straight. I could see that wasn't going to happen so I decided to settle for being at the tail of that train. Since the cars in front are out of class and since I don't have a competitor on my bumper I'm not compelled to take heroic measures to get by.

At around the 25 minute mark I knew I had my race won so I fell back a little. Partly in case either of the cars in front did something stupid, partly to give lapping traffic a better run through, and partly to get some open track so I could run a faster lap (just because). The results sheet shows:
    Curtis (DM) - 1:27.910
    McKay (IS) - 1:28.225
    Davis (Spec E36) - 1:28.232
    Levie (Spec E30) - 1:27.429
    Whatever, it was all good and I had fun.

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

nice man!
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Very cool Jim! What classes are DM and IS?

Comment

I'd have to dig through the rules for a full description of the classes. But I know that the red DM car is an E30 with an M52 engine in it. I think it also has coil over suspension (and stiffer springs) than my Spec E30.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          I'd have to dig through the rules for a full description of the classes. But I know that the red DM car is an E30 with an M52 engine in it. I think it also has coil over suspension (and stiffer springs) than my Spec E30.
          Ahh gotcha. Yeah I was mainly curious about what the other E30 was allowed to have that made his car somewhat quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
            Ahh gotcha. Yeah I was mainly curious about what the other E30 was allowed to have that made his car somewhat quicker.
            It was a she, not a he driving the DM car and she is pretty good. Her car has more straightaway talent, but I have more corner talent. Her best time of the weekend was a 1:27.4 and my best time was a 1:26.8. I could have gone at least a half second faster, but that was good enough to put me where I wanted to be in the starting grid.

Racing (or qualifying) doesn't mean that you have to go as fast as you possibly can. All you have to do is to go faster than your competition.

Comment

Ahhh,my home track.I've set track record in my 944 at 1:22.9.. My new 944 3.0l (968engine) will be faster..been slow building!
              NASA
              BMWCCA member
              PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
              1997 M3 sedan
              2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                It was a she, not a he driving the DM car and she is pretty good. Her car has more straightaway talent, but I have more corner talent. Her best time of the weekend was a 1:27.4 and my best time was a 1:26.8. I could have gone at least a half second faster, but that was good enough to put me where I wanted to be in the starting grid.

Racing (or qualifying) doesn't mean that you have to go as fast as you possibly can. All you have to do is to go faster than your competition.
                Haha very true. And the fact that the driver is a she is also very cool to me haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
                  Haha very true. And the fact that the driver is a she is also very cool to me haha.
                  There were two female drivers at that event. Julie Wolf finished 2nd on Sunday in an IP car a few seconds behind a CMOD car. She is very talented and very fast. It isn't uncommon these days to see one of more gals at a race weekend. I'd have to say that the talent level has about the same spread as the male racers.

Comment

Our 2.8L S50 (with approx 150 hrs on the clock) powered e30 (DM) turned a 1:15.0 at this event with a really big pilot. I didn't think ALL of that was engine as I thought it did fairly well in the corners too.
                    sigpic
                    Mike Akard #03 CM Street Legal, Licensed, & Insured 1991 (e30) 318is
                    S50B32 & E30 Parts - Spares - Go-Fast Goodies ALWAYS FOR SALE!
                    VADER CM V8 Coming in 2011!!!

Comment

Originally posted by makard View Post
                      Our 2.8L S50 (with approx 150 hrs on the clock) powered e30 (DM) turned a 1:15.0 at this event with a really big pilot. I didn't think ALL of that was engine as I thought it did fairly well in the corners too.
                      You were flying out there. And you are correct. The engine is part of it, but the driver is more important. Congrats on getting that sucker to run.

Comment

Someday, hopefully soon, we'll get the black M62 V8 powered e30 to finish a bunch of races without the issues that plagued us through 2011. That thing is a beast when it's running right!
                        sigpic
                        Mike Akard #03 CM Street Legal, Licensed, & Insured 1991 (e30) 318is
                        S50B32 & E30 Parts - Spares - Go-Fast Goodies ALWAYS FOR SALE!
                        VADER CM V8 Coming in 2011!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X