E30 M52 class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M52 class?

So I'm new to the SCCA/NASA/Auto-x stuff and currently building my E30. As it stands, I have:

-M52 (will probably go turbo in the future for more power)
    -5 lug (e30 m3 rear, e36 up front)
    -Gutted interior/rollbar/fixed back seats/harnesses

I'm having trouble finding whatever class this car would fit in. I didnt build this for an exact spec e30 (obviously) but I'm just wondering what I'd be up against. Again, this is just a fun weekend car, not a serious competition vehicle.

I'm looking to race in Time Trails, Road Racing, or closed-circuit racing...not really into the parking lot stuff, but I would do that every now and then.

Any help is appreciated.

wheel to wheel racing or lapping?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

For NASA TT you're looking at having to have the car dynoed now before it gets classed, in the past they had an appendix for it already created but they've changed it. Generally for a 2.5 or 2.8 I'm seeing them end up in TTC, prep dependant.

For w2w, it's a GTS car. That class is handled by power to weight, so, again, prep dependant.

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

Dont care between wheel-to-wheel or lapping...would probably do both for the sake of it. Any chance I could piss anybody off by not coming in last place?

Last question:

How does NASA/SCCA feel about a bolt-in roll cage, aka Autopower? This car would strictly be my weekend toy so I dont care about driveability/safety on the street.

Comment

Bolt ins are not legal for w2w. How much track experience do you have?

Also, I'd hold off on the turbo for a dedicated track car if you want it to be reliable.
          Midwest Spec E30 #64

https://www.facebook.com/thestickergarage

Comment

Well, the motor has S52 cams, M50 intake mani, intake, headers/full exhaust, and no powersteering/ac. Already installed OEM headgasket with ARP headstuds. Stock bottom end for now.

I planned on a low-boost setup shooting for 300-350 whp.

As of now, I have zero track experience...hence my delay to really start adding more horsepower.

Comment

Even low boost is asking for trouble unless you want to dump a bunch of money into the motor. Your resources would be better applied to track time. The car will be plenty quick on the track as it sits, especially for a newb.

If there is a NASA chapter there, I'd start with them doing hpde 1. Their system is basically a ladder system that leads to w2w. Don't expect to go racing without a decent amount of experience under your belt.
              Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

Well the turbo wouldnt be for at least another year. How would a low boost setup prove unreliable? I am a BMW Master tech that has modified a couple cars...

I'll start with NASA and go from there, then.

Comment

Even running low boost you're creating a lot more heat. There's a reason you only see a handful of boosted bmw's doing w2w in the US. A boosted car would be more suited to a time trial style event where heat soak wouldn't be as much of an issue.
                  Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

yeah, or maybe like a hillclimb where altitude power losses could be an issue.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Are bolt in roll bars even something worth looking at? I understand the track experience thing, but this car is sitting in my garage while I complete it....I might as well build it, at least close to the finished project, and then drive it like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X