Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wanna cut off frt backing plates...advise pls

Its time I put on my frt BBK....

what would be a good/affordable tool to buy to cut the frt backing plates off?..

I dont wanna spend 2 hrs cutting and swearing and busting my hands up....

tin snippers?..

dremel?

tia

jrk
    Last edited by JRKOUPE; 05-23-2012, 11:14 AM.
    I love sitting down and just driving!

I did it with an angle grinder.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can just unbolt them?
      sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
      The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
        Only if the wheel bearings are off.

Joel, I cut mine off with some pretty heavy duty tin snips. Takes a little creativity, but can be done that way in less than 10 minutes per side.
        Current Cars
        2014 M235i
        2009 R56 Cooper S
        1998 M3
        1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
          There behind the hub so you'd need to also be doing a wheel bearing otherwise they won't be coming out

Dremel will do it nicely. I unbolted mine and cut em by the collar then pried it open and popped the whole thing out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

Joel, I cut mine off with some pretty heavy duty tin snips. Takes a little creativity, but can be done that way in less than 10 minutes per side.
            This. Or do it when you replace your hubs/bearings ...
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Tin snips.

They're pretty lightweight.

Unbolt first, then cut to freedom.

But then avoid puddles.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Curious why in the hell are you wanting to remove those plates? They are there for a reason... TO keep debris and other crap from getting inside your brakes and chewing up your rotors and pad. Aswell to deflect the brake dust from making it onto the inside areas of your fender/suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by ELIXIR View Post
                  Curious why in the hell are you wanting to remove those plates? They are there for a reason... TO keep debris and other crap from getting inside your brakes and chewing up your rotors and pad. Aswell to deflect the brake dust from making it onto the inside areas of your fender/suspension.
                  BECAUSE RACECAR

No but seriously, the o/p races the car. The backing plates actually hinder the ability for the rotor to cool down FASTER.

Don't mean to threadjack but I am facing the same dilemma.

IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                    Originally posted by FLG View Post
                    There behind the hub so you'd need to also be doing a wheel bearing otherwise they won't be coming out2
                    Ya wheel bearings are not the hard to do. Plus you can remove them and not destroy them so.
                    Then you can sell them to the guy who wonders why you take them off....
                    sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                    The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by ELIXIR View Post
                      I understand your exasperation w/ me...lol...

but as w/ most that track their car's we tend to rip them up a bit to make them more track worthy..

lets see..:

ripping out ac

ripping out tar in trunk...49 lbs!

removing all sound insulation in trunk as well...

removing clutch driven fan....

about to remove sunroof...

about to remove heat system...

about to remove all carpet...

removing waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles mushy carpeted "dead' pedal for a real hard up rite pedal.

and just today we put in race trans mounts....and man are they causing incrsd NVH,,...wow..they may not last w/ me...I have my limits.

etc etc etc...

all in the name of acting like a race car driver owning a pseudo race/track car...lol

she is still driven to tracks......so she must keep some civility.

that being said, when BMW or any factory puts something in/on a car its not always to make the car "better"...it could be the bean counters having waaay other motives...to make the car quieter, softer,...... etcetcetc..

Comment

Tin snips and a nice pair of side cutters make quick work of it. Are you going to put cooling ducts on it?
                        PRO3 build:
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=239192

Hank Moore
                        Advanced Auto Fabrication
                        11911E. Empire Bld E1
                        Spokane Valley wa. 99206
                        509-924-7006

Comment

Originally posted by 04 Rabbit Man View Post
                          Tin snips and a nice pair of side cutters make quick work of it. Are you going to put cooling ducts on it?
                          If I am correct, I believe the corrado rotors used on this kit do not really work well w/ ductng due to the fact the way they are cast does not allow proper internal cooling that a ductng backing plate set up would provide.....I recall Massive stating this.

Comment

snippers

home depot...tin snippers...remove oe bolts..... 45 seconds each side

thanx fellas.

Comment

Working...
                            X