For those worried about oil starvation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those worried about oil starvation

In a few years of tracking my '89 325i I have only had the oil light kick on one time. I had run out of Mobile 1 20/50, and had to put three quarts of 10/40 in. Sure enough, despite overfilling to 5 qts, the oil light would come on every few laps at turn 6 @PIR.

The Spec E30 guys running in the northwest all use baffles.

I found the following company makes baffles (actually crank scrapers) for BMW's for only $50

cool, looks like a decent product for the price. might work on my ix block/pan, too.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm bookmarking that one. I need to do my oil pan gasket this winter anyway, that might be a nice "while you're in there" mod.

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

I never heard of oil starvation in an M20.... anyone have photos of just the pan?

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3
          I never heard of oil starvation in an M20.... anyone have photos of just the pan?
          Yeah, it can be an issue. Someone makes a special pan to address it, but it runs about $1k. Over on bf.c, there is a lengthy thread about it.
          Current Cars
          2014 M235i
          2009 R56 Cooper S
          1998 M3
          1997 M3

Comment

..looks like a nice product but will it prevent the starvation issue?......Ive always thought scrapers and baffles were different. I know it surely would not hurt..............
            Last edited by JRKOUPE; 12-09-2005, 10:01 AM.
            I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by JoelRKaplan
              ..looks like a nice product but will it prevent the starvation issue?......Ive always thought scrapers and baffles were different. I know it surely would not hurt..............
              it says it's supposed to keep the oil from going up the side of the block (during left hand turns this would be a problem), which could certainly cause oil starvation. I dunno, for $50 you can't really go wrong.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

This is the style baffling you are looking for. Granted it's a VW application.

Comment

I know this is a really old topic but has anyone got a crank scraper recently?

I am awaiting an email response since Sunday, also tried to call a couple of times with no luck.

Do they have an username here?

Thanks,
                  e30 diamantschwarz 325i
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyrmanj/

Comment

they have always been extremely slow with responses
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by cyrmanj View Post
                      I know this is a really old topic but has anyone got a crank scraper recently?

I am awaiting an email response since Sunday, also tried to call a couple of times with no luck.

Do they have an username here?

Thanks,
                      I bought one last year. Communication was hit and miss. Before I placed an order they'd get back to me within a day. After I placed an order it'd take a few days before they'd get back to me.
                      Here's the contact that I worked with when ordering mine: kevin_johnson@crank-scrapers.com

Comment

Nando, Bullet Ride thanks for replying.

I will send another email and cc Kevin this time, thanks for sharing.

Well at least they are in Florida so I won´t suffer so much with the shipping, hehe...

Take care everyone!
                        e30 diamantschwarz 325i

Comment

Crank Scrappers are mainly to prevent the drag on the rotating assembly by removing the oil that is clinging to the counter balances on the crank (those don't need to be lubricated..)

If you want to prevent starvation, then you need a baffle in the pan sump. Starvation is caused when the oil pump pickup is uncovered, and starts sucking air. There is one of the PRO3 drivers who makes his own, and charges under $100 for them. You just pop-rivet them in place and done. I made the change last season, and saw most of my oil pressure issue eliminated.. I have a crank scrapper sitting in my To-do pile, but it's not a priority (There are quite a few PRO3 car's not running them, since they can also be a source of oil leaks..)
                          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                          2016 Ford Flex
                          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

^ Thank you sir, I was not 100% clear on the function of the scraper, just kind of understood it was beneficial, hehe. So, I can expect a more "agile" engine, more easy to rev? Or is it hardly noticeable?

I also bought a pan baffle for the oil pump and off course my plan is to instal both. (I bought it from Vintage BMW source.)

since they can also be a source of oil leaks..
                            ^ Now that you mention this, any recommendations on the sealing that I should contemplate, any particular kind/brand of RTV high temp sealant?

Also as an update regarding the scraper I called them today, spoke with Kevin, very polite, he did sound a bit busy but anyway he took my order, so all set, thanks again.
                            e30 diamantschwarz 325i

Comment

An oil pan baffle like Jeremy mention is what you want to think about if you are concerned about oil starvation. I too only run an oil pan baffle in my race engine.

I do own a windage tray, and I did run it for one race weekend, but it had terrible fitment. It took me a long time to clearance the tray, but evidently my tolerances were too tight. When I drained the oil and dropped the pan because off an oil issue I realized the mistake I had made...metal shavings from the tray being clearance from the crank had found their way to the oil pump and the gears had seen better day. This was not an Ishihara-Johnson one which looks like a higher quality piece than the $50 alternative.

If I was set on buying one, it would be a telfon tray.

Comment

Working...
                              X