If you're building a race car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're building a race car...

Check your Grassroots Motorsports calendar for the month of February!

That is all...:D
    Suspension tips here...
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

what if we're building a crappy, budget-limited race car?
    cars beep boop

Comment

I know there is nothing left that I can buy from GC for my e30. Suspension complete-Check
      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
      ~ '87 535
      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

I just realized I never got my GRM calender..
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by GCMARK View Post
          Check your Grassroots Motorsports calendar for the month of February!

That is all...:D
          I just noticed that. Too bad I can't figure out what I need for my application. Calling you guys did not help much- I want to run GCs for RallyX but to be able to lowere the car slightly, swap wheels/tires/pads and do HPDE, then go back to full height for RallyX. Not much info in the way of spring rates for an application like mine.
          Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

I'm sorry about that Patrick,

Did you speak with me?

You are asking quite a bit from a single suspension. In my opinion, it's impossible to have a car set up, and lifted for Rally-X, with light rates and long travel then high rates and lowered for HPDE. They're just two diferent animals.

Mark
            Suspension tips here...
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
              I just noticed that. Too bad I can't figure out what I need for my application. Calling you guys did not help much- I want to run GCs for RallyX but to be able to lowere the car slightly, swap wheels/tires/pads and do HPDE, then go back to full height for RallyX. Not much info in the way of spring rates for an application like mine.
              Lol, not sure if serious.
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

So what exactly comes with the grm feb calendar? Sounds like a gc special?

Edit: looks like 10% off? Too bad I dont have a grm calendar I guess haha.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by GCMARK View Post
                  I'm sorry about that Patrick,

Did you speak with me?

You are asking quite a bit from a single suspension. In my opinion, it's impossible to have a car set up, and lifted for Rally-X, with light rates and long travel then high rates and lowered for HPDE. They're just two diferent animals.

Mark
                  I can't recall with whom I spoke. The conversation was very good, but without me having some idea of what rates I needed the conversation stalled. It was impossible for you guys to give me what I want if I can't articulate what that is. The issue was on my end- not yours.

I am currently on fully-stock suspension but with all of the weight reduction the car is lifted substantually. I probaly have the max travel that I can have on stock suspension, and it is more than enough to have fun in RallyX. I was actually considering going with H&R OE Sport springs to get a slightly stiffer rate (and to replace the rusted, 200K+ springs). I don't need MORE travel that the ROM for OEM suspension, so I was hoping that I could go with GCs and set them to full height for my RallyX events and then if I get the desire to do an HPDE I change the wheels/tires/brake pads and move the GCs down slightly to be a little more tarmac-friendly.

In general, 95% of the prep for rallycross is the same as any other trackable e30- replacement of steering components, skid plate, weight reduction, rollover protection, seats & harnesses, bushings, swaybars, engine/trans mounts, etc. The only real difference is in the tires, brake pads, and suspension height/rates. Changing tires (and wheels) and brake pads is simple- people do that for a street/track car all of the time.

That leaves the main "variable" as the suspension. I admit that the suspension for paved v. dirt is quite significant, but I am on stock springs now for rallyX. People do HPDEs on stock springs. While they may not be the BEST for either application, they can work for both. My hope was that I could find a spring rate that will work for both dirt and asphalt, even if it was not the BEST for either. Clearly, I would want the full ride height for RallyX (though people have driven lowered cars at RallyX). If I could lower the car's CoG by lowering the coilovers for an occasional HPDE, I would surely not have the best track suspension possible, but with good swaybars and other componets it would be at WORST equal to an HPDE on stock springs.

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                  Lol, not sure if serious.
                  Serious. See above.
                  Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Wouldnt be too much extra to get an extra set of springs that are longer and different rates for rallyx. It pretty easy to swap out a set of springs too.

Also, if anyone has a code they aren't using, I would love to take advantage of it.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

i guess i'll have to dig out my calendar and look... it usually gets filed away in favor of the more "revealing" types of calendars in the garage...
                      1988 325 "super ETA" - Hilde - M52B28 swapped...
                      1969 2002 - Griselda - 20VT AWP swap and full resto in progress...

sigpic

project blog - http://www.cynicalmotorsport.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X