Need Advice on Eliminating Body Roll *Tight Budget*

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • pandaboo911
    replied
    Higher spring rates = less body roll

    Leave a comment:


  • !kid
    replied
    Originally posted by e30_3I8I
    Front sways will stiffen the front to help with your front end grip.... I have a rear strut bar that helps me out a lot that's all i have on my car.. I don't auto-x but my car can carve through the canyons well for its basket weave tire size.. I know if i get bigger and wider tires it will help out tremendously.
    A larger front swaybar will increase turn in response but will not increase grip. back when I was into fwd cars I would actually find smaller front sway bars to reduce understeer and increasing my front end grip. Generally sway bars are used to tune oversteer/understeer. so a larger front sway bar is going to increase his understeer.


    OP,of your 3 options I would suggest the J stock springs.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nsquared97
    replied
    Originally posted by e30_3I8I
    Front sways will stiffen the front to help with your front end grip.... I have a rear strut bar that helps me out a lot that's all i have on my car.. I don't auto-x but my car can carve through the canyons well for its basket weave tire size.. I know if i get bigger and wider tires it will help out tremendously.
    Wait, what? Larger front sway will stiffen the front end, and make understeer worse, not better. That said, the reduced body motion (especially in transitions/slaloms) may still result in the car being faster.

    OP, your basically just looking at larger sways, or coil-overs. Generally speaking most people agree that stiff springs are a better way of controlling body motion than really large sway bars.

    Oh and BTW, your body roll issues aren't that bad...


    ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • ak-
    replied
    Purchase GC kit with higher rates, do the install yourself, sell Race springs as compensation and stay under 300.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30_3I8I
    replied
    Front sways will stiffen the front to help with your front end grip.... I have a rear strut bar that helps me out a lot that's all i have on my car.. I don't auto-x but my car can carve through the canyons well for its basket weave tire size.. I know if i get bigger and wider tires it will help out tremendously.

    Leave a comment:


  • jntar
    started a topic Need Advice on Eliminating Body Roll *Tight Budget*

    Need Advice on Eliminating Body Roll *Tight Budget*

    Just a quick update.

    What I did end up going with.

    1)Kmac camber plates (this virtually eliminated my understeering problem completely)
    2)Whiteline 24mm front bar (fixed the front roll and also seemed to help keep the camber in the front while hard turn in)
    3)BFGoodrich Rival 205/50/15 tires (HUGE step up from the Yokohamas I had on there)


    Hello need some advice from the autocross guys. I own a '91 318is and run STX class in SCCA. This is my first season and I wanted to get some opinions on dialing out some suspension issues that I have already came across in my first race of the season.

    Car
    '91 318is
    m42b18 w/mark d 93 oct chip
    H&R Race springs
    Bilstein sport shocks/struts
    Stock tophats (non adjustable camber)
    21mm front sway bar/stock rear bar
    All poly bushings and upgraded rear shock mounts
    '96-'99 e36 steering rack 3.2 turn LTL
    Kosei K1 15x7
    Yokohoma AVS ES100 225/50/15
    4.10 LSD

    Issues
    1)Car requires a large amount of steering input to maintain line at cornering speeds. At times grip immediately runs out and the car will understeer until brakes are tapped or wheel is quickly adjusted. This is causing me to lose a few seconds over the course.

    2)Body roll. It's pretty bad. Pics below.

    Budget
    I'm a broke/poor college student. All my money right now is going to living expenses, car maintenance, and parts for a turbo kit I'm piecing together (long ways away).

    Budget
    ~$300

    Options
    1)Ive read about the J-springs and have a friend who would buy my H&R springs which would offset my costs. (possibly enough for fixed camber plates)

    2)Upgrade to 25mm front swaybar and possibly upgrade the rear bar as well.

    3)Other ideas?


    Thanks for the help!




    Last edited by jntar; 06-02-2013, 09:04 PM.
Working...