Tire suggestion for wet track days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    I've also been told that I'm going to slide off the road using my R888s below 50 degrees, despite it being mostly 35-45 and wet for the last couple weeks. :|
    Lol. I had R888's on my E30 and drove on them through slush/sleet in 30-degF weather. I had no issues with them at all; no hydroplaning; nothing. I think the narrow sizes we run (mine were 205's) make a huge difference.

Originally posted by nando View Post
    One comment was the RS-3s were useless below 60F.. well, it's almost always below 60F here. I find that really hard to believe.
    Yeah, people love to talk trash without first-hand knowledge. I ran RS3's (225/45-R15) on my E30 for two seasons. Compared to the old Direzza Z1 Star Spec, they're faster in the dry, more predictable at the limit, and hold up much better to heat (no chunking). In the rain, there's very little difference.

When we measured lap times at Watkins Glen and Mosport, the RS3's put in almost identical times to the RA1 (same size). Turn-in isn't as crisp, but once they take a set, they grip just as well. Maybe there would be a difference on a heavier car with wider rubber, but on an E30 they perform about as well as the RA1.

I don't know why people love to crap on the RS3 these days: they're the best all-around street/track summer tire I've ever used.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
    2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Hooseir H20's hands down the best wet track tire on the planet.

If you drive on the street, too....Bridgestone RE-11 gets my vote.

Comment

I have some new full tread r888's for sale if you want any. Great dual purpose tire!
        drive-gear.com
        Race Car rentals
        Spec e30, ITS, KP
        Northeast/Midatlantic
        NASA MA Spec E30 Director

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
          I don't know why people love to crap on the RS3 these days: they're the best all-around street/track summer tire I've ever used.
          I'm not going to crap on the RS-3, I've never used it. But if you forced me to guess (okay, fine, I will) I'd say it's because the RS3 is getting long in the tooth. When it first came out, the reports and reviews say it's at the top of its class. However, tire tech is advancing rapidly in this area, and it's not one of the oldest tires out there in the category. I hear the next gen RS3 is coming out this summer though, and I fully expect it to again rate at or near the top for dry track performance and safe street driving.
          -------------------------------------------------
          1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
          2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Working...
          X