X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
    I would guess as much. I would expect something in the range of 30-40k
    No, not near that much! With stand alone, and dash, probably closer
    to $20-25k, +/- depending on what options you choose.
    You can go mild to wild on the management/dash which will vary the cost a lot.
    We have a fairly basic system, kinda regretted not going with a better system after the fact, still sometimes consider going to a full Motec system, but the state of the car has changed priorities in a hurry...
    Paul

91 318is GT3
    08 328xi wagon

Comment

Were we switched at birth? Becaause im pretty sure you are living the life i was intended to live. That motor makes my nips hard. Any update on a shell? Or fixing it?

Comment

Rust just makes the car lighter ;)

Seriously though, glad you're OK, and good luck finding a new shell.
        88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
        We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

I'm always excited when I get an email telling me there are updates to this thread - sorry to hear that in this case, it's the result of a crash! Really glad to hear that you're ok. Best of luck going forward. I know all of us guys with M42s love to see an "M42" used in real anger for racing!
          diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

No updates yet, its still in the trailer. I honestly think its going to be fixable, I took a quick look around inside last night, cage did not move at all, so repair would just be cosmetic as far as I know right now. May change when I get it in the air and have a good look. I'll post pics and updates as I go forward.

Last video of the car, from May, racing a friends S54 swapped M3 (which is actually my old street car).

Last edited by pmachan; 08-28-2015, 09:14 AM.
            Paul

91 318is GT3
            08 328xi wagon

Comment

Sorry about your car. But looks like my evil twin. Right down to the shifter
              Attached Files

Comment

See what you find when you get the fender off-
                if it hasn't moved the strut attachment much, it might be pullable.

You can always section that quarter of it, but it's always a trade- off on how much work to
                do that versus a new shell. And how hard it is to do the re- attachement welding.

Glad you're ok- that's a scary place to contact something...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by pmachan View Post
                  No, not near that much! With stand alone, and dash, probably closer
                  to $20-25k, +/- depending on what options you choose.
                  You can go mild to wild on the management/dash which will vary the cost a lot.
                  We have a fairly basic system, kinda regretted not going with a better system after the fact, still sometimes consider going to a full Motec system, but the state of the car has changed priorities in a hurry...

Wow that is a lot more affordable then I thought.

if you are getting about 270hp at the wheels that's about 295 at the fly which is basically an S42 and considering that will cost you in the range of 80K that's a really good deal.

Looking forward to seeing this car back on track.

Can't go wrong with Motec, but the $$$ to benefit is some what high. I like cosworth but they also are very pricey, but seem to have a better electronic management systems. If I ever go to this stage I am probably going to go with Haltech, seem to be reasonably priced and have everything I would need anyway.
                  Last edited by Massimo; 08-30-2015, 06:16 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

if you are getting about 270hp at the wheels that's about 295 at the fly which is basically an S42 and considering that will cost you in the range of 80K that's a really good deal.
                    I don't know where you're getting your prices from but that is completely ridiculous.

This engine has been prepared to be installed on a prototype CN (Two-Seater Racing Cars)2000 cc 4 cylinder / 4 valves (STR 4 DOHC)The engine is  rebuilt with new crank, new bearings, new oil pump and new dry sump. And shaft, connecting rods, pistons,

17,000 Euros.
                    Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 08-30-2015, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
                      I don't know where you're getting your prices from but that is completely ridiculous.

This engine has been prepared to be installed on a prototype CN (Two-Seater Racing Cars)2000 cc 4 cylinder / 4 valves (STR 4 DOHC)The engine is  rebuilt with new crank, new bearings, new oil pump and new dry sump. And shaft, connecting rods, pistons,

17,000 Euros.
                      I am talking brand new from BMW not second hand that have been modified to suit a different race series.
                      sigpic

Comment

I am talking brand new from BMW not second hand that have been modified to suit a different race series.
                        BMW just laughed at me when I asked for one. Said they can't even do M42 crate motors. So who do I call to buy a new S42?

Comment

BMW just laughed at me when I asked for one. Said they can't even do M42 crate motors. So who do I call to buy a new S42?
                          you can call these guys

sigpic

Comment

17,000 Euros.
                            That's not a S42 super tourer engine despite what the advert says. Its a M42 engine that was homologated for F3 and C3 racing classes. They were limited to 205 during their day and it seems this one has been rebuild with some S42 or more likely S42 spec parts.

Did you really ask a BMW dealer guy this? Really? They would not have a clue.

BMW motorsport parts are sold through BMW Motorsport and I understand there are no BMW Motorsport dealer in Australia. There only one in the US I think. You cannot really buy a new S42 - as a race engine it is 20 years ago and not raced by the 'factory' for at least 17 years. You can still buy S42 parts from BMW Motorsport but the are increasingly getting rare. I have seen used S42 engines between €15,000 and €50,000 depending on condition and spec.

BTW You can buy M42 crates engines. They are about €4000 out of Europe. Not much demand for them, though.

Also Massimo, as good as Rebello engines are, they are not S42s :)
                            sigpic

Comment

An s42 is a bit of a silly idea, no? I mean the issue of parts availability, cost, and worry of hurting it would be a bit high for the average racer.

You can build an M42 with identical performance for massively less money.

If you are flush with cash and want one for the prestige, all good, but for the average club racer its a bit silly.
                              Paul

91 318is GT3
                              08 328xi wagon

Comment

What size ITBs are you running to hit 270hp ? Trying to determind what size i would need. I dont see people making good numbers with the Diblas.

Comment

Working...
                                X