Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to get involved- Volunteering Services

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get involved with a race team/build/project etc. Bottom line I'm not an e30 wizard, but I can follow directions and I can turn a wrench. I'll do whatever; change tires, carry a hammer, etc, any kind of manual labor you need.

I'm located south of Atlanta, so i'm about equidistant to Barber and Road Atlanta. Anything further than that and I don't know if I could swing it. I realize I'm putting this out there after the racing season has begun, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks, let me know.
    /______\_o_/______\
    l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
    \ #___======___# /
    |__/-------------\__|

"Took me an hour to do this..."

took me like three seconds to copy/paste it- FOR SCIENCE!!

Barney Fucking Rubble

good luck bump
    sigpic

Comment

Contact your local SCCA chapter- they'll put you on a corner, on scales, in pregrid- you learn a lot in a hurry!

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Let me know how this goes man, I gots community service hours to complete for probation and nothing would please me more than to spend them at a track.
        sigpic

Comment

Chump Car is your very best bet IMO. Just turn up to an event and volunteer as a corner worker, or get there the day before, ask around and see if there is anyone who wants an extra pair of hands (there always are). Nov. 2nd-3rd is your next local event at AMP and there is Road Atlanta next year. Once you have done that and proved your worth a bit (and registered on the forums) you ought to be able to meet a team (or get them to pick you up) heading north or south and tag along. Helpful things you can do to be more valuable to a tea;, know the Chump rules back to front; offer to prep food at the track; bring a clipboard or a pair of radios; know places to eat/hang out locally or along the route; a knowledge of common failure points at the track for M20s (maybe some spares too) and how to fix them and a winning positive attitude, without being overly positive.

Comment

I am with the TVR chapter, SCCA in Alabama. We are always searching for people to get involved in road racing events that we put on. Go to our website, teamtac.org, and post your interest on our site in the Road Racing forum. Our open wheel racers always need crew. If nothing else, you can get paid to work the race in a variety of positions out on course.
            sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

NASA.

Look up the race results for the endurance races, find a team near you, get vetted, jump in.

Been in racing and crewing for a long time. I did the 25 Hours of Thunderhill two years in a row, started volunteering my time by doing light fab work, maintenance and QC. Last year I did logistics for the race on the same team. It had grown from 2 cars to 4 in one year. Tons of work, truly a 'band of brothers' mentality and atmosphere. We won the T25 both times in class. Also crewed for a Grand Am/Rolex team about 10 years ago by networking. I did that when I took a break from driving. Always a great time, if you're willing to put in the work. I have made some of my best friendships doing this.
              '88 325is
              Alpinweiss

Comment

Wow. What a response, thanks all!

I'm thinking about taking my eta up for an autocross this saturday- anyone else going?? It will be my first time behind the wheel doing anything other than getting from A to B. Pretty stoked about it, honestly.
                /______\_o_/______\
                l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                \ #___======___# /
                |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Which AutoX you talking about? We have one on Saturday here.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Horneck View Post
                    Which AutoX you talking about? We have one on Saturday here.

Gary, where's "here?" I'm registered for the one in Atlanta, actually Atlanta Motor spdway.

I noticed that you're in AL so I'm assuming that you're talking about Barber? Or...?
                    /______\_o_/______\
                    l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                    \ #___======___# /
                    |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

No, way north, Huntsville. Was not aware of an event other than ours this Saturday.
                      sigpic

Comment

An endurance racing team is always looking for volunteers. Even if you're not sure of what you can do, most need people to handle tasks so more skilled crew can focus on technical stuff. The endurance team I volunteer for had four cars in the T25 last year, so on average we had one car coming in about every 30-40 minutes on a fueling cycle of ~2 hours. For instance, we had one guy who was 5'3", not a lot of experience, but a lot of enthusiasm and a willingness to work and listen. He was assigned to belts. It might not seem like a vital job, but it was and he was awesome at it.

Basically, he would crawl into the cars from the passenger side, over the cage and safety gear, when we did a driver change. Because of his size and agility, he was in the car, belting in the new driver in a flash. He probably saved 10-15 seconds off each change. Might not seem like a lot, but you add that up over the course of a 25 hour race, and those seconds add up to minutes. That's a big deal!

I had to set up a 28' trailer as a mobile warehouse for spares for all our cars. That includes tires. I had two rookies helping me and they were great. I would get diagnosis from the chief mechs, usually shouted at me over the radio, and these guys I had were right on it, pulling the parts and running them to the crews. They were also right there with me into the wee hours of the night, helping me swap out tires, accurately filling them to the requirements of each car, per corner. Not an easy task when you're sleep deprived and your cars are still 'in it'. They understood if they did their job, it would largely go unrecognized, but if they screwed it up, it would be immediately apparent.

We also had a couple of women volunteers. One was actively going over the wall assisting on tire changes, race tape, tear-offs, etc. Another was utterly fantastic at crunching the data and info pouring in so we could stay on top of and adjust our strategy as the race wore on.

It is AMAZING to see how well a team of volunteers can do in a race like that compared to some of the pro teams there. We had the Flying Lizard Porsche team next to us one year, and they were giving us high 5s and sharing food and patio heaters with us. They couldn't believe how motivated everyone was with the equipment we had. Watching them tear off 10 second fuel and tires stops was even more impressive.

So, search out a team and see if it suits you. Bring a positive attitude, no ego, and have fun.

Last edited by kung fu jesus; 06-06-2013, 05:28 AM.
                        '88 325is
                        Alpinweiss

Comment

Well said, Kung Fu Jesus! That post motivated me!

Now, to the matter of getting time off from the Army so I can travel round the country with a race team...

No, but really, if anyone's doing anything at Barber/Road ATL and needs a set of hands, let me know!!
                          /______\_o_/______\
                          l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                          \ #___======___# /
                          |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Working...
                          X