1st Time Auto X- Success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Time Auto X- Success!

First AutoX will be this Saturday at Atlanta motor speedway.

My brakes are a little old.

should I overnight a new set or just pick up some cheapos from autozone to run for the weekend, then swap them when I have a better set. i'm not upgrading, just replacing with OEM stuff.
    Last edited by DaButt; 06-09-2013, 07:45 PM.
    /______\_o_/______\
    l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
    \ #___======___# /
    |__/-------------\__|

"Took me an hour to do this..."

took me like three seconds to copy/paste it- FOR SCIENCE!!

Barney Fucking Rubble

Unless they're completely shot you should be fine. Autox isn't hard on brakes, even when done at a track. If you continue to autox, when you replace your pads you'll probably want some autox pads (more initial bite), but that's about it for brakes.
    88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
    We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

got it, thanks. I'll keep what I got- first time i'll probably be driving like a wimp anyway lol
      /______\_o_/______\
      l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
      \ #___======___# /
      |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Grind that shit down to the backing plates.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
          Grind that shit down to the backing plates.
          HA!

ok
          /______\_o_/______\
          l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
          \ #___======___# /
          |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

If they are worn or cracked, a set of $25 pads from your local parts store will do just fine. Just make sure everything is in tip top condition, and clean the car.
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Youd prob be fine on stock pads for now. That being said.

If you havnet done so already, change ALL the rubber brake hoses, inspect all the lines, and change all the brake calipers. Also you eventually might want to run some better fluid, i like motul 600 but be aware it absorbs moisture faster then regular fluid so you will need to flush more frequently. If its your daily you could prob get by the season with it then flush it back to normal fluid for the winter. Also, buy the cheapest rotors you can, dont need anything thats slotted or drilled.
              -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

If the calipers are in proper working order, there is no reason to change them.
                If the rubber lines aren't cracking or in poor shape, there is no real reason to change them either. (On multiple cars and sport bikes I've never noticed a big difference in feel between regular and SS lines, even on track).

Just run ATE for the fluid and flush it once a year.
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                  If the calipers are in proper working order, there is no reason to change them.
                  If the rubber lines aren't cracking or in poor shape, there is no real reason to change them either. (On multiple cars and sport bikes I've never noticed a big difference in feel between regular and SS lines, even on track).

Just run ATE for the fluid and flush it once a year.
                  They're 20+ years old, and now will be worked harder then they were probably all its life, there's plenty of reason to. Heck even if It was a daily I'd still change them. Actually I'd go a step further and further change all the hydraulics. Brake mc, clutch mc, clutch slave, and rubber line on clutch. It's only a matter of time before they fail. Let me clarify, I wouldn't do ALL this for your first event, I would at minimum inspect everything, but If you plan on getting serious into auto X prepare to change what I've listed eventually. At minimum I'd change the rubber brake lines if those are original, they are worn and most likely dry rotted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
                    Youd prob be fine on stock pads for now. That being said.

If you havnet done so already, change ALL the rubber brake hoses, inspect all the lines, and change all the brake calipers. Also you eventually might want to run some better fluid, i like motul 600 but be aware it absorbs moisture faster then regular fluid so you will need to flush more frequently. If its your daily you could prob get by the season with it then flush it back to normal fluid for the winter. Also, buy the cheapest rotors you can, dont need anything thats slotted or drilled.
                    really?

if his brakes work there's no reason to replace them just because he's doing 1 autox. If his brakes are so bad that his car won't survive a novice autox run (where you spend most of your time getting lost and hitting cones), then yes he should probably replace them asap. Doesn't really sound like that's he case though..

Motul 600 is *way* overkill for autox as well.. especially at the novice level! that's 4-5x ATE fluid changes which works just fine on the street/autox, one fluid change will last you 2 years. flushing it out after each season? He's a novice autoxer! maybe he should get some hoosiers and a roll cage while he's at it..
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      really?

if his brakes work there's no reason to replace them just because he's doing 1 autox. If his brakes are so bad that his car won't survive a novice autox run (where you spend most of your time getting lost and hitting cones), then yes he should probably replace them asap. Doesn't really sound like that's he case though..

Motul 600 is *way* overkill for autox as well.. especially at the novice level! that's 4-5x ATE fluid changes which works just fine on the street/autox, one fluid change will last you 2 years. flushing it out after each season? He's a novice autoxer! maybe he should get some hoosiers and a roll cage while he's at it..
                      Guess you didn't read I said *eventually* he might want to run better fluid.

Am I saying he *needs to do that, no if you read my next post you see I wrote a clarification in which I said he should at minimum inspect everything and I'd highly recommend at the very least changing the brake hoses. But I guess you conveniently glossed over all of that.

Daily, track car or auto X I'd change every bit of the 20+ year old hydraulics... But that's just me.

Comment

you're recommending racing brake fluid to a guy who's never done an autox before in a stock E30..
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

This isn't really an answer to your question (I'll let everyone else argue about that...), but know if your ABS works or not. Depending on the speed of the course you're on, an unexpected lack of ABS can be a bit of a shocker.
                          The Great Big M20 Timing Belt DIY

Some good information I've found online (no affiliation):
                          Turbo Tech (Garrett)
                          Four-cycle information and cam properties for beginners (ISKY Racing Cams)

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            you're recommending racing brake fluid to a guy who's never done an autox before in a stock E30..
                            Again did you not read that I said EVENTUALLY! whatever your right I'm wrong.

Comment

sorry for having an opinion. sheesh!

even "eventually", I can't see any good reason to use the most expensive brake fluid for autox when there will be zero benefits.

I come from the school of stop screwing with your car and show up and drive - if it's safe for the street it's safe for a novice autox.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X