Tire question for track (HPDE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire question for track (HPDE)

So I made a huge mistake by listening to someone who I though was very knowledgeable. I purchased a set of brand new Hanhook RS3 in 225 50 16 and it backfire big time. The tires do not fit the front of my e30. Its extremely frustrating cause I am done with the car, but cannot drive it. Anyways, now I am looking at Toyo Proxes R1R in 205 50 16. What do you guys think? and do you have any other suggestions?

Also they are for sale!

sigpic

The new dunlops come in 225/45/16 and are likely better than the Toyo option.

Comment

I second mulletman, the Dunlop ZII in 225/45/16 would be a great choice. the R1R is an OK tire, but out of the last gen of fast tires (star spec/RS3/XS/R1R) it was not the fastest and wore out quickly. It does look badass though.

I'd suggest a 225/45/16 tire over a 205/50/16 tire. Your problem was the 50 series height, not the 225mm width.

Sucks I just bought a set of Rivals, as 225/50/16 is the proper tire size for the E28 and I had a hoot with my last set of RS3's. Advertise those on myE28, you might get an E28 or E24 guy to pick them up.
      My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

225/45r16 is the way to go. I would forgo the R1Rs in general as well.

Actually if I were in your shoes I'd consider getting some 15s for track duty. Much better tire selection. 16s, however perfect they are for e30s, are the bastard child of wheels and as such have a shitty tire selection in general. Having said that, the Z2 is a great tire and 225/45r16 should be trackable.

Comment

Just talked with a guy at the Tire Rack last weekend. In terms of autoX at least, the new crop of tires (Rival, ZII, RE-11a, AD08R) are significantly faster than anything that has been on the market for a while (around a second on an autoX course) He also mentioned they are generally longer lasting for track use, in particular the ZII's hold up far better than star specs did.

Comment

Why don't they fit the front?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Thanks for everyone's advise. As far as going smaller I can't. I am running the 5 lug conversion. Also the rims are styles 5 which I think are 16x8 or 7.5 from an e38. Also I plan on running the car at HPDE events. I really appreciate everyone's advise

AK, they fit, but it's rubbing in the inside and I am also afraid that 225 45 16 will do the same.
              Last edited by el bimmer; 07-11-2013, 10:19 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

So all you need is a spacer?
                Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                Bimmerbuddies LLC
                717-388-1256
                2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

let me dig up a picture if 225/45/16 on 16x8 style 5's. i think you'll have less problems than with the 50 series tire.

Comment

here is 16x8 style5's with 225/45/16 R1R's. You can see that the sidewall isn't nearly as bulbous as the 225/50/16 RS3's you have above. You should be fine with a 5mm spacer to clear the strut.

BTW, this is the factory tire size for the E30 M3 in the european market. Normal E30's can fit just as big of a tire as the M3, you shouldn't have a problem fitting these.

DSC_0207 by ericandshovin, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                      here is 16x8 style5's with 225/45/16 R1R's. You can see that the sidewall isn't nearly as bulbous as the 225/50/16 RS3's you have above. You should be fine with a 5mm spacer to clear the strut.

BTW, this is the factory tire size for the E30 M3 in the european market. Normal E30's can fit just as big of a tire as the M3, you shouldn't have a problem fitting these.

DSC_0207 by ericandshovin, on Flickr
                      Cool deal! But I will still need to do something with my fenders. Thanks Eric!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by el bimmer View Post
                        Thanks for everyone's advise. As far as going smaller I can't. I am running the 5 lug conversion. Also the rims are styles 5 which I think are 16x8 or 7.5 from an e38. Also I plan on running the car at HPDE events. I really appreciate everyone's advise

AK, they fit, but it's rubbing in the inside and I am also afraid that 225 45 16 will do the same.
                        You can run a 15". As previously stated, a 15x7 wheel wrapped in 205/50/15's will provide you with a far greater range of tire options. The Rival is a great track tire that is fast and with good wear.
                        John

2013 NASA-SE TTE Champion

Tracks driven: AMP, Barber, CMP, CMS (Lowe's), Daytona, NCCAR, Road Atlanta, Rockingham, RRR, Sebring, Texas World Speedway, VIR (Full, Grand, South, North, & Patriot), Watkins Glen.

Comment

Oh. Just run a small spacer man and dial in the camber you're going to need and/or want for track/DD duties.

Mini front fender roll and you're set! Feels bad to not use new tires!

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by TrackjunkiE30 View Post
                            You can run a 15". As previously stated, a 15x7 wheel wrapped in 205/50/15's will provide you with a far greater range of tire options. The Rival is a great track tire that is fast and with good wear.
                            Yeah that's definitely an option. I think I would rather buy another set of tires. I will see if I can even find a set of 15 in 5x120.

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                            Oh. Just run a small spacer man and dial in the camber you're going to need and/or want for track/DD duties.

Mini front fender roll and you're set! Feels bad to not use new tires!
                            I agree, but I would stick out more than it already is. I have spacers in 12 and 18mm. I will see if someone has a smaller size spacers

Can I run these:

Also can I use these with the 16 in the rear?
                            Last edited by el bimmer; 07-11-2013, 01:07 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I would not run 15s up front with 16 in the rear. Just spend the 50 bucks for a set of spacers to clear the strut or borrow a spacer from somebody untill you kill the tires then order a 45 series sidewall
                              Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                              Bimmerbuddies LLC
                              717-388-1256
                              2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                              bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X