The r3v autocross video thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinkerputzer View Post
    Welcome, you've come to the right place. I've not had a chance to watch the video yet but iirc stx allows you to replace oe rubber bushings with polly as long as they are dimensionally identical (not offset).
    Thanks! I've read the rules and know I can go with poly. I'm just worried about my toe and don't like eccentric bushings since I've read that they lose adjustment. I'd rather weld in slotted adjusters, but the rule I'm not sure about is Section 14.1.H.8 (I think) where it talks about trailing arm suspensions. It says locators can be modified, so does that mean that I can weld in slotted adjusters?

I've really caught the autox bug with my 318. I did it on/off with an E39 M5, but it was never fun nor reliable enough to do more. This 318 is super cheap to run on my college budget and is tons of fun. I won't ever be competitive in STX, but I can at least try.

Now a 318ti

Comment

Originally posted by MINIz guy View Post
      Thanks! I've read the rules and know I can go with poly. I'm just worried about my toe and don't like eccentric bushings since I've read that they lose adjustment. I'd rather weld in slotted adjusters, but the rule I'm not sure about is Section 14.1.H.8 (I think) where it talks about trailing arm suspensions. It says locators can be modified, so does that mean that I can weld in slotted adjusters?
      It's been a while so i had a look and think you're referring to 14.8H3

On swing or trailing arm suspensions, the main arms may not be
      modified or replaced, but lateral locating links/arms may be modified
      or replaced.
      I think this applies to e36 style suspension. I think the only street touring legal means of adjusting rear camber and toe is through eccentric rtabs.

Comment

Originally posted by Section 14.8.H.1
        1. On double/unequal arm (e.g., wishbone, multi-link) suspensions, only the upper arms OR lower arms may be modified or replaced, but not both. Non-integral longitudinal arms that primarily control fore/aft wheel movement (e.g., trailing arm(s) or link(s) of a multilink suspension) may not be replaced, changed, or modified.

Note: Many modern suspension designs known by other names, actually function as double A-arm designs. These include the rear suspensions on 1988-on Honda Civic/Integra, Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge Neon, BMW E36, and most “multi-link” and are covered by Section 14.8.H.1.
        I think that applies to E36 models.

Originally posted by Section 14.8.H.3
        3. On swing or trailing arm suspensions, the main arms may not be modified or replaced, but lateral locating links/arms may be modified or replaced.
        Since the eccentric tabs are part of the locating links, does that mean I can weld them on and use them? It is "modifying" them, correct?

I only ask since I have .1+ degrees of toe in with ~2 degrees of camber, and that destroys my tires. It would help to have 0 toe and ~2 degrees of camber, which could be easily done with the tabs. I also think the tabs are less prone to loosening than the eccentric bushings when you use locking washers such as Nord-locks.

Now a 318ti

Comment

this wkend was my first auto-xing event.....BMWCCA in NJ.

www.instagram.com/snwmble
          #snwmble

Current:
          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

I think that applies to E36 models.
            Ah i stand corrected.

Since the eccentric tabs are part of the locating links, does that mean I can weld them on and use them? It is "modifying" them, correct?
            Wow that sure makes it sound like it is allowed. You may want to check with someone more knowledgeable than me on the rules though. I don't think it will give an unfair advantage since most all the other cars in the class already have a means of adjusting rear alignment.

I only ask since I have .1+ degrees of toe in with ~2 degrees of camber, and that destroys my tires. It would help to have 0 toe and ~2 degrees of camber, which could be easily done with the tabs. I also think the tabs are less prone to loosening than the eccentric bushings when you use locking washers such as Nord-locks.
            Agreed, though i think a little toe in helps with stability. I saw you post in the other thread about nord-locks. They seem like they may be the solution.

Comment

I wonder, if no slotted adjusters are legal, how would they feel about a conveniently bent subframe? "Oops I have zero toe and 5 degrees of camber, guess it was in a wreck, wink wink"

Comment

Rallycross Miata allowed?

Not sure why the videos not coming up
                video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
                Last edited by Lof8; 08-14-2014, 06:35 AM.
                S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                Originally posted by slammin.e28
                I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
                  Rallycross Miata allowed?

Not sure why the videos not coming up
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cavMx-zU6RE
                  Because you posted the entire URL in the youtube tags :)

That looks fantastically fun dude. I'm jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerputzer View Post
                    Wow that sure makes it sound like it is allowed. You may want to check with someone more knowledgeable than me on the rules though. I don't think it will give an unfair advantage since most all the other cars in the class already have a means of adjusting rear alignment.
                    Well, had a guy from the SEB answer my inquiry. Weld on tabs not allowed. Eccentric bushings are allowed.

Now to se what I want to do... Not like this car will ever go to nationals. It won't ever raise suspicion locally either. :D

Now a 318ti

Comment

Well, had a guy from the SEB answer my inquiry. Weld on tabs not allowed. Eccentric bushings are allowed.

Now to se what I want to do... Not like this car will ever go to nationals. It won't ever raise suspicion locally either. :D
                      Just do it. Honestly it won't do anything noticeable for your times, but it 'll help save your tires.

Even things like poly bushings and strut braces don't make THAT much of a difference on most cars, but when you have people competing at a national level often separated by tenths, even thousands of a second they have to be very specific and very picky about upgrades and modifications... even though it ultimately comes down to things like braking that tenth later and clipping the cones that inch closer than the next guy...

Comment

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Here's one from Sunday. There's a few mistakes but it was good for 2nd fastest raw time I believe.

Comment

Here's one from a PCA autox last weekend. Their courses are simple and designed for high powered cars with long gears, which wasn't great for me. I was hitting the limiter in a couple places and also needed 3rd in 2 spots as well. From the data I know I left another second on the table, starting with the trouble getting into 2nd. Hopefully I will eventually figure out how to get Traqmate to correctly overlay the data to make these a bit more interesting.

Edit: Finally got Traqmate to overlay data. It cuts off a couple seconds early, but the data seems to be properly aligned. Getting the data and video to sync properly has been a pain, for some reason the software was starting the video 20 seconds in and the data at the beginning. Also, it appears my tach cable came loose and didn't show up in the data, should have it next time.

Last edited by matthugie; 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM.
                              88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                              We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

^ on screen telemetry is sweet!
                                S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                                What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                                Originally posted by slammin.e28
                                I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Working...
                                X