No announcement yet.

Shift light recommendations and pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to read to set it up, yes. But it's pretty much a once and done deal. Just have the manual with you and it's no big deal.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
      interesting. I read the manual, and the setting up of it seem overly complicated. What was your opinion? You have to read the manual, and then use 3 buttons, and you have to read light flashes off the display to set the RPMs - as in 1 flash mean 1000 rpms, next light 2, means two-hundred, .. What was your opinion of the "interface"? OK? Decent? Or a PITA?
      v this
      Originally posted by e30_302 View Post
      You have to read to set it up, yes. But it's pretty much a once and done deal. Just have the manual with you and it's no big deal.
      it does seem a little complicated in the instructions. however, once you are actually setting your range on the unit it all makes sense. the interface is very intuitive and is not as complicated as the instructions make it seem. i only had to change the settings once when i swapped the motor in the car which lowered my redline and power band. i'd let my girl buy me another one in a heartbeat.

Comment

My preference is progressive shift lights in an electronic dash with programable warning lights. At the lower end the RackePak IQ3 works quite well. Those allow different settings for each gear. 1st and 2nd in an E30 are pretty short and I have lower shift points programmed for them to account for reaction time. 3rd is a bit higher and 4th & 5th are to the optimal shift point for the power train.

The dash monitors cooling system pressure, coolant temperature, and oil pressure. If any of those reach alarm levels a waring light come on. So on track if no lights are on, keep your foot in. There is no need to monitor gauges.

The nice thing about a smart dash is that it can be set up to not produce nuisance alarms. For example, one of my oil pressure warning lights is set up come on if the engine is below 1500rpm and the pressure is below 10psi (idle pressure), The other comes on if the engine is above 3000rpm and the pressure is below 30psi. I have a 4psi switch in the cooling system. That warning light is disabled until the engine is above 140F, by which time the system has pressurized. If that light comes on there has been a failure of the cooling system and a catastrophic overheat is about to happen.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Hey guys just wanted to share some pictures. I put my own shift light together.
          The shift light can be adjusted to come on at different rpm's it's set at 4,000 rpm just for testing purposes.

Daytime shift light off.

Daytime shift light on.

I have never done a night event but it's super bright and could help out.
          Nighttime shift light on.
          Sorry for the blurryness.

-
          Project
          Parts for Sale
          Feedback
          YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
          X