Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have experience running bias-ply slicks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have experience running bias-ply slicks?

My Hankook autocross R-comps will be needing replacement sometime soon and I've seen some discussions on bias ply slicks. They can be purchased significantly cheaper than Hoosiers and Hankooks from American Racer - around $100 each. Does anyone have any experience to share with these?
    S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
    What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Yes. I ran them in cantilever form from both Goodyear and Hoosier.
    I tried American Racer, but couldn't get a consistent supplier up here...
    The one set I got compared well to the other two, and showed a pretty similar
    'cycle life' to a set of Goodyears.

They are very camber- sensitive- they liked about -.5 degrees, and not much more.
    They HATED the rear camber change that the 2002/E21/E30 has. I ended up stiffening
    the car a LOT just to reduce dynamic camber change- and that made it faster,
    even on our bumpy tracks.

My final conclusion was that I didn't have the testing/instrumentation to run them, and
    wasn't getting my money's worth without considerably more car development.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Very informative. Thanks Toby. Sounds like it would take a lot of trial and error and suspension tweaking to make them worth the savings. And since I plan to continue running high performance street tires on the big track, I don't want to be constantly adjusting shit.
      S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
      What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
      Originally posted by slammin.e28
      I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Yeah, I started out trying to run radials AND bias, and pretty quickly figured out
        that was a recipe for insanity...

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
        X