Suspension setup for the track
Collapse
X
-
Well the thing is I can get kw coils for $530 and isc's for $790. That's why I was considering those two.I haven't really heard of isc but my friend has the track dampering isc's on his 2.5RS and says they are really good. I uploaded some info about them. I've also heard really good things about kw. Kw makes the st coils. Anyway this is why I was considering getting them. I will be purchasing c1 15x8 wheels for my e30 as well:Dhttp://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=B013&utm_source=google&utm_medium=c se&utm_term=B013-T-325ES-1988-656528&gclid=CjwKEAiAuea1BRCbn-2n7PbLgEMSJAABQvTTRubrSXIYe8WV4dFlEcCtMtQFUcgHnj6p h9XRFmTDERoC_Avw_wcBLast edited by Cbruh; 02-09-2016, 12:36 PM. -
for what?best possible
If you're just learning, track it as it is first, and see how you do.
Because there are half a hundred 'best' ways to go, and they all depend
on you, and what you want the car to do.
But for serious track time, going to a 2 1/2" front spring with camber plates
is really about the first step AFTER you've ground the outside edge off a couple
of sets of tires.
tLeave a comment:
-
There are a lot of posts on this subject, but as a quick primer:I'm looking to see what you guys have to say about different suspension's. I am looking for the best possible track setup. I have recently put bilstein shocks/struts on my car along with eibach pro kit springs but I want to up the game a lot. I'm thinking about rebuilding the shocks/struts for a stiffer spring rate, or debating on if I should get coils. The coils I would get are between h&r, st(kw), or isc's. Also have questions about how wide of a wheel/tire you guys use and offset. I am going to do some fender wprk as well. Thanks
Bilstein Sports + H&R Race springs is an excellent track suspension (it's the SpecE30 race suspension!) Koni Yellows + Springs is also a popular and good combo.
If you're looking to waste your money and hate your back/kidneys: JOM, BC Racing, Megan Racing, insert-fly-by-night-company-here, Raceland, Stance, etc. <$1000 price point. Buy springs and shocks instead.
If you want street suspension that is made for low and looks not fast and track: ISC/ST/KW V1, $1000 ish.
If you're looking for something adjustable in rebound and ride height: Ground Control SA or TC Kline SA or KW V2 or Bilstein PSS9, all between $1500-2000. AST I would put in this category if you can buy them any more.
If you're looking for affordable and good quality rebound and compression adjustment and know what that affects TC Kline DA, KW V3, GC DAs if they make them still. $2000-$3000
If you're looking for a premium single adjustable damper, or are looking to do this once and be done: MCS SA, JRZ RS1. $3000-$4000 for a complete kit
If you want premium damper capability with rebound and compression adjustments: MCS DA, JRZ RS2, Ohlins DA, $5000-$8000
If you're competing at the pointy end of the grid for actual money or championships: Same suspects, triple adjustables, $7000+
The more you spend, the better the damper is at controlling sharp bumps and blowing off over impacts, which translates to better grip. Better dampers also can be turned very soft and compliant for better rain/wet track grip. They also manage tire contact patch better. This is all with one huge caveat: the car and suspension must be set up properly, otherwise you've wasted your money and time.
None of the suspensions you list are appreciably better for someone starting to track their car than good springs and struts. You don't need coilovers until you've got quite a few track days under your belt, at which point you'll be more able to identify deficiencies in your car and solve them. And ISC/H&R coils have pretty much zero people running them hard and frequently, on track. There is a big reason why most track folk flock to the same three or four brands, depending on the price point.
Bolting on $10,000 suspension won't make the car any faster if you don't know how to drive; in fact, it will likely make it a whole hell of a lot harder to drive fast.Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 02-09-2016, 12:10 PM.Leave a comment:
-
Suspension setup for the track
I'm looking to see what you guys have to say about different suspension's. I am looking for the best possible track setup. I have recently put bilstein shocks/struts on my car along with eibach pro kit springs but I want to up the game a lot. I'm thinking about rebuilding the shocks/struts for a stiffer spring rate, or debating on if I should get coils. The coils I would get are between h&r, st(kw), or isc's. Also have questions about how wide of a wheel/tire you guys use and offset. I am going to do some fender wprk as well. ThanksTags: None

Leave a comment: