Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
    There are a lot of posts on this subject, but as a quick primer:

Bilstein Sports + H&R Race springs is an excellent track suspension (it's the SpecE30 race suspension!) Koni Yellows + Springs is also a popular and good combo.

If you're looking to waste your money and hate your back/kidneys: JOM, BC Racing, Megan Racing, insert-fly-by-night-company-here, Raceland, Stance, etc. <$1000 price point. Buy springs and shocks instead.

If you want street suspension that is made for low and looks not fast and track: ISC/ST/KW V1, $1000 ish.

If you're looking for something adjustable in rebound and ride height: Ground Control SA or TC Kline SA or KW V2 or Bilstein PSS9, all between $1500-2000. AST I would put in this category if you can buy them any more.

If you're looking for affordable and good quality rebound and compression adjustment and know what that affects TC Kline DA, KW V3, GC DAs if they make them still. $2000-$3000

If you're looking for a premium single adjustable damper, or are looking to do this once and be done: MCS SA, JRZ RS1. $3000-$4000 for a complete kit

If you want premium damper capability with rebound and compression adjustments: MCS DA, JRZ RS2, Ohlins DA, $5000-$8000

If you're competing at the pointy end of the grid for actual money or championships: Same suspects, triple adjustables, $7000+

The more you spend, the better the damper is at controlling sharp bumps and blowing off over impacts, which translates to better grip. Better dampers also can be turned very soft and compliant for better rain/wet track grip. They also manage tire contact patch better. This is all with one huge caveat: the car and suspension must be set up properly, otherwise you've wasted your money and time.

None of the suspensions you list are appreciably better for someone starting to track their car than good springs and struts. You don't need coilovers until you've got quite a few track days under your belt, at which point you'll be more able to identify deficiencies in your car and solve them. And ISC/H&R coils have pretty much zero people running them hard and frequently, on track. There is a big reason why most track folk flock to the same three or four brands, depending on the price point.

Bolting on $10,000 suspension won't make the car any faster if you don't know how to drive; in fact, it will likely make it a whole hell of a lot harder to drive fast.

Thats why i said hell no to those JOM coils, had to do some reading, wasn't going to knowingly buy some coilovers everyone says are shitty. Will go with bilstein x H&r

Sent from my payphone using Tapatalk
    1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
    1998 e36 328ic/5 -
    Roundie alpina pig cheekā€™d (1969)
    1967 2002 parts car
    1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
      Before any of this or spending any money - how much "experience" do you have on track?

I can probably bet that the current suspension on your car is not what's holding it back..

Are you going to go actual "racing", or just be content with Track Days? Because going real racing (I mean wheel to wheel) is a whole different ball park from just turning laps as fast as you can..

More often then not, if you are making this jump, then there is restrictions on what you can use for setup. Notice I said setup. It's not just a matter of jamming some coilovers on an tossing the car around (though some of us pretty much do that anyways.) The entire car is a setup and affects handling: Suspension, weight placement, aero..etc.

Everything affects everything else.

How serious are you at this, and how much time and money are you willing to put in to this?
      Best advice.

OP - No JDM/German/etc. coilovers will compare to your own seat time and experience behind the steering wheel and controlling the car to it's full potential.

I have ran KW, TCK, AST, Billy's w/ Eibachs... etc. - none make any difference unless the driver can control the car with the added modifications. Do not slap on coilovers from "Megan racing" and expect your car to handle like it is on rails. Go to an HPDE first with your current suspension and see how much improvement you make over each session/autox - it is a challenge against driver modifications.

- I put down quicker times on the SPEC30 setup (with the same 200 TW tires) compared to the list above. Research, have fun racing, and ultimately be safe out there!
      Harp

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        dammit

for what its worth, I love my IE3 and Bilstein setup, though the shocks/ struts are getting tired so Im considering switching to Konis
        Likewise. You running aftermarket sways?

Comment

Originally posted by wannaBMthree View Post
          Likewise. You running aftermarket sways?
          I have the cabrio / iX combo with upgraded bushings.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
          X