Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

949 Racing 6UL E30 Spec wheel folks - QUESTIONS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

949 Racing 6UL E30 Spec wheel folks - QUESTIONS.

Howdy! Long time lurker, first time thread starter... :D

Anyways, buying a set of 949 Racing wheels for the ol girl and wanted to get some insight as to what direction I should go.

Obviously, we know that several are running 15x8 or 15x9 with spacers and wider tires. However, I cannot seem to find much regarding the spec wheel that is designed specifically for the E30.

I know several want wider wheels and wider tires. This is for only the 15x7 E30 spec wheel guys. If you have a compelling reasoning to go wider that trumps my thoughts towards the spec wheels, by all means.

My questions:

1) Do you need to roll front and/or rear fenders? Heard that you may have to, but may be based on what suspension setup and how low the car is set for race or street.

2) Optimal tire size that seems to work the best. I know some guys may stretch, but I am not wanting that look or lack of performance.

3) If you have a pic, that would be great.

4) I have heard from some that they are OK with the rears being tucked in a tad. I have even heard that it is something to consider leaving and adding spacers is more of personal preference/look rather than a benefit or performance gain.

That's really it. Hope to see some responses!

The best source for this information will probably be the Spece30 forum and/or Facebook group.

7s with no spacer fits and looks just fine. 195 or 205 would be the best width for those wheels, depending on the tire.

8s will be faster/better in every way and will better fill out a 225 tire.

Comment

The 949 wheels are decent looking, but I'd avoid the use of spacers or hubcentric rings on a car that's going to see track time.

The Jongbloed SpecE30 wheels fit just fine; they're 15x7 ET15. 205/50s are perfect for them.

The TR Motorsports (Tire Rack house brand) wheels also fit fine at 15x8 ET20. 225/45s are perfect for them.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

If you are just getting them for fun (not spec e30 specific) go with 15x8's and a 225/45/15.
        sigpic
        1991 318is S52
        1987 325i Vert
        1991 325i
        2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GThomas View Post
          If you are just getting them for fun (not spec e30 specific) go with 15x8's and a 225/45/15.

I may want to run an AutoX or similar. I feel like the 15x7 will be lighter and possibly not as much patch contact, but would balance out vs a 15x8 that needs a spacer.

225 vs a 205 makes sense, but again, AutoX with spacers makes me cringe a tad even though I get that is it more important to have the studd the correct length vs the spacer concern.

I am more concerned about the fender rolling...

Comment

Originally posted by Lizard 1 View Post
            I feel like the 15x7 will be lighter and possibly not as much patch contact, but would balance out vs a 15x8 that needs a spacer.
            Why would the 15x8 need a spacer when the 15x7 wouldn't? Are the offsets significantly different between the two?

Comment

Tons of people run spacers on track and autocross. Just make sure you have good studs that are the proper length to accommodate the spacer you run.
              sigpic
              1991 318is S52
              1987 325i Vert
              1991 325i
              2011 e70 X5

Comment

Tons of people run spacers on track and autocross. Just make sure you have good studs that are the proper length to accommodate the spacer you run.

Agree 100%. However, the tire choices at 225/45 vs the 205/50 is harder to find an A/S one for street use.

What spacers are you all running with this brand if using a 15x8 wheel? And, again... are you having to roll the fenders?

Comment

I still don't understand why only the 15x8 wheel requires a spacer...? Or does that apply to the 15x7 version as well?

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                    I still don't understand why only the 15x8 wheel requires a spacer...? Or does that apply to the 15x7 version as well?

The offset. If you run the 15x8, the offset is such that it will not clear properly. It's a +36ET. The 15x7 for example is a +15ET... The 15x7 is specifically made for the E30 and the spec class. It's a bolt on and go wheel...

Again, spacers aren't an issue. but you'd need a set to compensate for the offset...

Comment

Got it. If I absolutely wanted that particular wheel, I'd go with the one that's the bolt-on fit (15x7). Hassling with spacers and hubcentric rings when changing or removing wheels frequently gets old fast, especially when they're hot.

If you haven't already, check out the Jongbloed Racing Wheel for SpecE30. It's more or less identical to the 949 version, but available in silver and costs less.

Comment

The offset. If you run the 15x8, the offset is such that it will not clear properly. It's a +36ET. The 15x7 for example is a +15ET... The 15x7 is specifically made for the E30 and the spec class. It's a bolt on and go wheel...

Again, spacers aren't an issue. but you'd need a set to compensate for the offset...
                        get the tr 15x8 et 20's. they fit without a spacer and you can run 225
                        Originally posted by blunttech
                        Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                        :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Shangsta View Post
                          get the tr 15x8 et 20's. they fit without a spacer and you can run 225

The issue is the tires for street use. Hard to find an A/S tire for the wheels. I want to change these if and when I do an AutoX, etc. But, when not doing that, I want a good A/S tire.

Comment

The issue is the tires for street use. Hard to find an A/S tire for the wheels. I want to change these if and when I do an AutoX, etc. But, when not doing that, I want a good A/S tire.
                            AS tires for autocross aren't that great. Get a 200 treadwear RS4, get studs and and metal hubcentric rings.
                            sigpic
                            1991 318is S52
                            1987 325i Vert
                            1991 325i
                            2011 e70 X5

Comment

AS tires for autocross aren't that great. Get a 200 treadwear RS4, get studs and and metal hubcentric rings.

I have a tire machine so, I can change tires. Majority will be street use and with the occasional AutoX, I will change the tires. On a 15x8, the tires for race use are plentiful. But A/S tires are hard to find in that size.

I think I will stick with the 15x7, but wonder if guys are rolling fenders to allow these to fit well with a setup like I am using. I am on Koni adjust with H&R race springs.

Comment

Working...
                              X