betafoam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

betafoam

anyone use this or any of the other structural foams to foam fill the chassis? Seems like it would help out the unibody a lot plus for my dailydriver/weekend warrior it might quiet things up a little.
    sigpic

link?
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

sounds interesting..
      90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

Comment

Originally posted by german g View Post
        sounds interesting..
        sounds heavy
        ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

well actually, its mostly air so the density once expanded is going to be very low while ( i would imagine, given the application) being very strong and rigid.
          --Will

Comment

Yeah, even heavy duty expanding foam for housing purposes is pretty damn light. This has me very interested...
            '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

In a track car I'd be concerned about flamability and what sort of gases are produced in a fire. One option for reducing noise in a dual -purpose car would be "creative use" of welding blankets...
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Its common to have thu stuff in a,b,c pillars from the factory on lots of cars now. Ive seen some aircooled VW guys do it. Usually makes a huge mess due to not being able to predict how much will be nessasary to fill a panel and tons of it comes oozing out. Also if the panel isnt sealed well and water gets behind it some nasty rust will form. You can find the stuff at aircraft suppliers like aircraft spruce. Comes in 3 hardness levels.

Here is a link. http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr..._300zx_part_5/
                Last edited by MarshallM; 03-01-2007, 03:50 PM. Reason: Add info

Comment

Oh hell yeah! Great article, I'm so doing this!!

Comment

/\ /\ That was the link I saw too. I heard Handifoam is NLA but you might be able to find it, heres a link to Betafoam. http://automotive.dow.com/materials/...am/product.htm I wonder which one would work best for us.
                    sigpic

Comment

Honestly, I think a lot will depend on the price! How much is one betafoam kit?

Comment

great idea, but I'm uncertain about the part of putting a water proof foam through the water drain holes of the frame. Where does the water go instead?

edit: You could try it by first experimenting on the front subframe and see if it stiffens the front end a bit.
                        Last edited by BimmerToad; 03-01-2007, 08:53 PM.
                        San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

I think,you can do the entire car for less than $300, the 300ZX using Handifoam was just at $200.

Im not sure about the water either I don't even know where to put this stuff, I just saw it while looking for roll bars. If the entire thing is filled while the frame was dry wouldn't that stop any water from entering.
                          sigpic

Comment

Keep in mind the foam does nothing for safety. Might as well just get a roll bar.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

But some guys mainly autoX where a roll bar isn't necessary. I think this thing will add less than 20 pounds to the car while increasing rigidity dramatically.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X