Use Basketweaves or stick with heavier Borbet wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use Basketweaves or stick with heavier Borbet wheels

This is all for track/auto-x use. I don't want to go Rcomps until I'm decent on good street tires.

I need to decide what to do about wheels/tires pretty soon.

Its been suggested to me that it would be better to replace the 16" borbet wheels with the extra set of 14" basketweaves I have. What's the weight difference? The borbet T is 21lbs, will it make a big difference changing back to the basketweaves? I think the 16" wheels are heavier but I can put down some more rubber.

What should I do? Stick with the heavier Borbet wheels and get a bit more rubber or downsize to the lighter OEM 14" basketweaves and go with less rubber?

I'll probably be picking up the Falken RT615 or the Yokohama ES100.
    Last edited by flypenfly; 04-04-2007, 10:21 AM.

shoes

...........its no biggie. Depending on your power, 14's are fine. But youll get more sizes in 16's. I track on 15's..........

I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Well I'd like to stick with the Borbets but not if it's not going to give me any benefit over the 14" and is actually a detriment.

Comment

wheels...

..what level are you?....nationally ranked etc?.........if not then use what you have...........on tight a/x tracks , 14 may feel more nimble........start w/ what you have........are you looking for that extra .4 seconds?......its all nuts and bolts......work on the nut behind the wheel.

ES100 for hi po use?.......I hate em. Noisy and not hi po........
        I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Yeah, definitely beginner to intermediate, only been to a few auto-x. But since I'm buying tires anyway for two cars right now, might as well ask I thought.

I'll probably be getting the basketweaves with the RT615 then in 195/60/14.

Comment

I think the bottle caps are something a bit over 13lb each. That's a big difference in unsprung weight over the 21lb Borbet wheels. For track/autox use, a 15x7 wheel meant for Spec E30 (Team Dynamics, etc) is a good choice.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

switching back and forth between wheels, there's a pretty big difference between 15" euroweaves and 14" weaves. I'd definitely go with the lighter wheels.

also you will get crushed if you use ES100s...
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                also you will get crushed if you use ES100s...

yeah, there's a HUGE difference between ES100s and azenis, that's like different ends of the spectrum!
                R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Alright, staying away from the ES100.

What's the weight of the basketweave 14's or is that the bottlecapS?

Comment

they are about the same. something like 14lbs.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                    X