Got car corner weighted :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got car corner weighted :)

*I'm going to try to make this thread a little informative since I havn't found any good corner weight threads in this forum. So mine should be a good example*

Happy to say that my car was very unbalanced...meaning I already thought it handled pretty damn well, so that means it's going to be just that much better!:D

Anyways...of course, to corner balance it I disconnected one of the endlinks for my front sway (don't have rear) and realized there was a lot of pre-load on the endlinks, so adjustable ones are on their way in the mail. I then prepared it the way I do for track by removing all the shit from it and did it with just under half a tank, which, for me, is ideal.

Car without driver and about 8 gallons of fuel weighed in at 2567#'s...this surprised me...I thought it'd be more.

Front/rear weight distribution: 54.3%/ 45.7%.
    Left/right distribution: 51.6%/ 48.4%

Base corner numbers:
    850# 632#

569# 682#
    Cross weights: 43.9%!:down:

-Was told that cars balanced to turn one direction only have about 48% diff.-

We ended up turning the left rear 4 turns up and the right rear 3 turns down. I didn't want to touch the front because I had already lowerd it to the max before allowing the LCA's to go past parallel with the ground.

Final numbers:

765# 719#

649# 601#
    Cross weights: 50.0%

Now I just need to get rid of the pre-load on the endlinks (it screws up the corner weights) and get it aligned and I should be golden. Can't wait to test it out!
    Last edited by mazur; 09-27-2007, 08:21 PM.

Originally posted by mazur View Post
    Car without driver and about 8 gallons of fuel weighed in at 2567#'s...this surprised me...I thought it'd be more.
    did you do any weight reduction? what model e30?

Comment

Originally posted by n2motorsports View Post
      did you do any weight reduction? what model e30?
      -1990 325is
      -S50 with ZF tranny...no a/c
      -Carbon fiber hood
      -Sparco Speed seats
      -spare removed
      -50+#'s of sound deadoning removed from trunk
      -single 2.5'' exhaust...guarantee it weighs less than stock
      -"Ebay" headers....again, weigh less than stock cast iron.
      -10# ltw flywheel

6x8 Rota's with 225/45/16...obviously heavier than stock.

That's all the weight differences I can think of, lol.

Comment

Cool! Track and AutoX?
        I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Wow, for what you listed removed, I'm impressed with the weight.

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
            Cool! Track and AutoX?
            Track...auto-x is for nOObs

I kid, I kid. I used to auto-x a lot before I tried my first track event. E30 has never seen it, but I might do an event one day just for fun. I have a feeling it'll do a lot better than my E36 M3 did.

Comment

This is very good information!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

What are you running for suspension setup?
              Rates?

I am interested in knowing how the car feels after the corner weighting!
              Give us some feedback when you get a chance to test it ouT!!

Comment

Originally posted by KangamangusDriver View Post
                This is very good information!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

What are you running for suspension setup?
                Rates?

I am interested in knowing how the car feels after the corner weighting!
                Give us some feedback when you get a chance to test it ouT!!
                I have the C3M coil-overs. 450#/ 750# rates. No rear bar and stock front.

And yah...I'll post feedback. Next track event isn't until November 24th

Comment

This is an OUTSTANDING thread.
                  I'm also glad that you brought this up, as this was one of the major reasons I wanted to get Coilovers/C3 kit. I just have to find someone who has the scales... hmmm I wonder if one of the flying squadrons on base will have a few.
                  Slicktop City!

Comment

I'm going to add this is in here what I posted in the e30tech forum:

Originally Posted by Capman87
                    Noob Question... How did you weigh the car? and each tire? This is some very cool information! I am hoping to be able to run auto X next year. Also I dont quite understand the Preload you are talking about, dont all swaybars have preload?
                    The car is has to be driven on to a set of scales...one at each corner. This gives you the total weight, and weight at each corner.

With driver in the car, you then try to make the sum of the corner weights equal to eachother. So by raising one corner you add weight to that pair of corners while removing weight from the others and vice versa. After doing an adjustment, you roll off the scales and bounce on it to settle the suspension. Rinse and repeat till you have a 50% spread. Only took us 3 tries.

Preload is basically when the endlink is putting force on the sway through the strut (or LCA, whatever setup you have) when the car is just sitting there (hope that makes sense). This basically messes up the balance. What you want to do is basically install the endlinks while the front tires are on the ground and so that they easily slip on. So basically, you want no work from the swaybar until your car starts leaning in a turn.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by ryan_george
                    And you do this on all 4 until you achieve desireable cross-weights.

Just so there's no confusion, I wanted to point out that that statement isn't totally true. It can be achieved by only adjusting rear or front (I only adjusted rear and stated why in original post).

This is because, even though you're shifting weight around, the total front and total rear weights will always be the same. Meaning the only way to change the front/rear distribution (and left/right) is to physically add or remove weight from parts of the car.

Comment

Great writeup, thanks!

Adam, I'm going to be corner-weighting my car sometime this spring, probably when we do my bosses track car. If you want to stop in and check out the process I'm sure that would be cool with everyone!
                      '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                      '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

Looks like you have it well set up. Have fun with the car.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

so without any track time, what is your driving impression now?
                          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

sorry to bump this but i'm getting ready to do the same on my e30 (corner weight - that is). did you get a chance to do it again with the adjustable end-links? did you get the IE ones? I'm running stock sways on a GC c/o setup (450#f/650#r).
                            '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                            '91 SpecE30 #523
                            '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Working...
                            X