Cosmo coil over for the track???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosmo coil over for the track???

I have acces to set of cosmo coilovers and was wondering if anyone had tried them on the track. My car is not a built race track but I got to track days and Solo 1 events 8-10 times a year.

Elliot

They are alright for street, but IMHO the spring rates aren't very good for e30 IMHO. I would want to go to like 650 or 750 in the rear.

Cosmo Coilovers----------------450-------------------------560
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

The HR race are 380 and 570 !!!!! I already have a set of suspension techniques swar bars so the hge spring rate in the back is not needed.

I have the hr sports and the rateas are 180 and 370. My current setup is too soft.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
        The HR race are 380 and 570 !!!!! I already have a set of suspension techniques swar bars so the hge spring rate in the back is not needed.

I have the hr sports and the rateas are 180 and 370. My current setup is too soft.

Comment

???

Comment

H&R springs are progressive... Coilover springs like Eibach Race Springs are linear (have same rate throughout). The first inch of compression for a H&R sport is much softer than the last inch of compression (180/370).

H&R race do not have a "HGE" spring rate in the back, it's softer than the 560-of cosmos. Good rates for track E30s in LINEAR springs are gonna be around 400-450/600-700

Comment

???

Comment

I was reffering to 750 in the back that backtrail69 posted. I understand the progressive nature of the HR sport and HR race. I just want to know if someone had used the cosmo in the track. Lance, form your post I assume the cosmo front rate is fine and the rear is a little under your suggestion.

I am really more concerned with the front rate I am running (180) since I can feel the nose dip under braking.

Comment

Why not give thm a shot. If you are unhappy, you can always pick up a pair of different rate ERS used off of one of the forums.
                  Current Cars
                  2014 M235i
                  2009 R56 Cooper S
                  1998 M3
                  1997 M3

Comment

the main problem is the quality of the components isn't good.. a good set of perches/adjusters/springs isn't all that expensive, don't waste your money on junk if you can avoid it.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Chris,

Do you have first hand knowledge that these perches, etc are junk?

Just wondering.

If they are, then by all means, the OP ought to look elsewhere. There are options beyond GC, that is for sure.
                      Last edited by Dave; 12-22-2007, 04:46 PM.
                      Current Cars
                      2014 M235i
                      2009 R56 Cooper S
                      1998 M3
                      1997 M3

Comment

I was reffering to 750 in the back that backtrail69 posted. I understand the progressive nature of the HR sport and HR race. I just want to know if someone had used the cosmo in the track. Lance, form your post I assume the cosmo front rate is fine and the rear is a little under your suggestion.

I am really more concerned with the front rate I am running (180) since I can feel the nose dip under braking.
                        IMO, rear bars suck and you are in better shape with ~650 in the back instead of moderate rates with a big bar...

sometimes this cannot be avoided (spece30) but if you are going down the road of C/O's, go barless in back IMHO. but then again, dozens of people are tracking with H&R races and ST bars, so you'll find answers on how to make that setup work as well

Comment

I 've read lot about the bad quality of the components but nobody had really presented facts. A lot of the feedback is from people who think their junk and not from people who bought it and were dissapointed.

Comment

so should I keep the bar with them or just dump it and get 650 for the rear?

Comment

so the should I keep the bar with them or just dump it and get 650 for the rear?
                              it's really not hard to change them around. buy a spare pair of 650s and have the tools ready. you can do cosmo as is, then without bar, then with 650s and then try it with bar, and just swap inbetween sessions.

i've had 300/475 GC's and even without a rear bar with those rates had a pretty good setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X